RepackboxReloading EverythingWidenersLoad Data
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2

Thread: Woods bumming holster

Boolit Master

Woods bumming holster

Anyone have a suggestion for a woods bumming holster for a smith 17-3 6"bbl? Jen inheritted her dads revolver and I'd like to find some decent leather for her.
    Some where between here and there.....

In Remebrance

Well, first it ought to be leather. I've got a bunch synthetic holsters and while they are servicable, they just don't feel right. 2nd I'm a big fan of half or full flap holsters for woods/farm work. They protect your investment a lot better, tend to keep the gun in the holster and the snow,hay, sawdust, rain out. I haven't had to do any quick draw work to stop a charging red squirrel. If you look around they are availbe, but like any good leather they're expensive.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by redneckdan View Post
    Anyone have a suggestion for a woods bumming holster for a smith 17-3 6"bbl? Jen inheritted her dads revolver and I'd like to find some decent leather for her.
    For a belt holster you need a good 1 1/2 - 2" wide thick leather belt with revolvers of this size for comfortable carry when "woods bumming". I have found the Bianchi #55BH to be a very good leather holster for carrying a 6" S&W or Ruger Security Six (pixtured). It rides high and is as comfortable a carry as most 4" revolvers, especially in a vehicle seat. Note the thick thumb snap strap offers protection to the top and how the leather protects the rear sight.

Larry Gibson
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 11-30-2007 at 05:10 PM.

Banned

for woods bumbing i like a pancake holster that rides high for the same reason some like a flap holster. My shirt or jacket covers the gun and keeps the dirt and dust off of it. But i dont know how well it would work with a barrel that long. most of my pancakes are for single actions under 5 inch and DAs under 4

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by redneckdan View Post

The most common suggestion would be a high ride rig as Lloyd suggests so you can sit or work in front of your body. Or if you want or can legaly conceal it.

But when my barrel length goes over 4", I prefer cross draws and use a flap to protect it. My thigh comes up at the end of the frame and the barrel rests on the thigh when sitting or walking. Then I marry that up with the widest, "lined" belt for handling the weight.

But that's me. Problem is, what store can you go to try one on for 8 hours for her to see what "she" likes.

Woods Bumming Holster

check here

http://simplyrugged.com/

top quality and very affordable

Boolit Master
    I have a duty rig with a drop holster made by tex shoemaker. I figure I'll loan her that for a while and see how she likes that and go from there. I did take a peek at gander mountain today. One stock boy asked if I needed help and then gave me square eye balls when I asked if they carried leather holsters. Muttered somethin along the lines of "they still make those?" I took that as my cue to leave. Whats the world coming to?

side note...I'm all leather now. Gave away my fobus 1911 plastic abomination to my neighboor for use with her airsoft pistol.

Smile Woods Bumming in Comfort

For 4 to 5" a strong side high ride, or a shoulder rig, will work well. But I'm with BA here, since it's a 6" barrel.

I like the crossdraw for comfort in the jeep or pickup, and it allows for sling carry of a rifle on the right side without bumping the pistol.

They're usually made to fit both crossdraw and strong side high ride.
    Regards,

WE

To each their own, probably lots of synthetic fans here......own some nylon jobs, none of the stiff plastic "fobus" types, and a lot of leather--safariland and bianchi.....you can sure put me down in the quality leather holster column.....got one of those bianchi units mentioned above in 89 when I scored my gp100 four inch and both revolver and holster are still giving yeoman service--wife bought me a safariland shoulder rig in the late 70's for a colt gm and have yet to wear either of those out.....course, your mileage may vary......
    Lead.

Banned

unless you know of someone that will make them for you Dan simply rugged is the way to go. Just like the name there a simply rugged holster at a great price. He made one for my alaskan and its a fine holster and Robs an excellent guy to deal with.
    Quote Originally Posted by flhroy View Post
    check here

Boolit Master
    Ok, I'll note that web site. I do have a friend who is doing some leather carving work for our engagement gifts to each other. I'll see how those turn out and then look at getting a matched pair of holsters either from Rob or my friend Paul. A pair of 6"s... a 17-3 and a 19-4, quite a match eh?

If I were you, having what you have and wanting to do what you want to do, I would have El Paso Saddlery build me a full flap leather holster. With a straight drop, it can be worn on the pants belt or a gun belt, strong side or cross draw.

Boolit Master
    makes sense

Boolit Buddy
    check here

I'll back this up 100%!!
    Liberalism isn't just a disease anymore, it is a mental disorder.

Sirach 2: 4-9

Any questions.......http://http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?293211-Bubba-w-a-45-70-is-a-bonafied-straight-shooter
    Or here....http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...t-shooter-too!

check here

Another vote for this. Rob made a holster for my 357-44 special conversion and it's perfect, both in function and looks.

jar
    Last edited by jar-wv; 12-31-2006 at 01:14 PM.