WidenersRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackbox
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad Data
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky

Thread: Just Got a Universal M1 Carbine...

Boolit Bub

Just Got a Universal M1 Carbine...

I found an early "1st generation" carbine yesterday at the gunshow. It uses mostly GI parts, has the single recoil spring. This is my first M1 carbine of any type, I was looking for a shooter and all the GI carbines were priced a bit too high. This one is in great shape, I doubt if it has had more than a box or two fired through it.

My main question is about the barrel. It has 12 grooves (micro-groove?) and what looks to be a 1-12 twist. Anyone have experience using cast in these 12 groove barrels? I will be wanting to go cast with it, but don't have any suitable molds yet. Thinking either Lyman 311410 (would be nice to not need gc's) or 311359.

Thoughts?

Boolit Grand Master

Use a GC'd bullet for best results if you want the best accuracy your carbine is capable of at 30 Carbine velocities. Lyman, Lee and RCBS all have excellent moulds in the 115 - 120 gr weight range for the .30 Carbine.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Bub
    I agree with Larry.

I've had two Universal M1 Carbines, and both were good shooters. I've shot several thousand cast bullets (Lee RN 120 grain gas checked, and the Lyman pointed gas checked number). Excellent accuracy and no leading at factory duplication velocities. It is my experience that the Universal Carbines often give better accuracy than GI carbines.

You should know about the Universal Carbine design. The operating handle/slide is a stamped and welded affair and has a bad habit of cracking along the weld. I've seen a good half dozen of this model carbine with identical cracks on the operating handle. Other than this apparent design defect, the Universal carbines provide good shooting value for the money.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for the advice, I want good plinking accuracy out to 100yds. That pointy 311359 looks like it ought to feed well.

This Universal is an older 1st generation, and doesn't have the stamped slide. It uses a GI operating handle/slide.

Boolit Grand Master

The 311359 will serve you very well in the M1 Carbine. H110, 4227 and 2400 are all very good powders to use. Mine, cast of WWs + 2% tin, ran around 120 gr fully dressed and I shoot them at 1850 fps with excellent accuracy and function. I use mostly H110, size them at .309 and use Javelina lube and Hornady GCs.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master
    I shot a lot of 311465's thru mine. Was the best shooting boolit/bullet in that gun bar none.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety".
    Benjamin Franklin

Where an excess of power prevails, property of no sort is duly respected. No man is safe in his opinions, his person, his faculties, or his possessions.
    James Madison

Boolit Grand Master

If you don't mind, what are Universal carbines going for these days?

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Bub
    Collector interest has pushed the price of GI M1 Carbines way up there.

A Universal M1 Carbine generally goes for 1/2 to 2/3 the price of the GI model.

Boolit Bub
    I saw 4 or 5 of them at the show, they ranged from $319 to $500 asking prices. Most had the stamped operating slides. I got mine for 350. It was more than I wanted to pay, but my son really wanted one and it was a lot cheaper than the GI carbines I saw.

Boolit Grand Master

OK, thanks for the price info.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Cast boolits can shoot well out of a 12 land barrel. I've had good results in a .30-30 microgroove lever gun. I have no experience with the carbine though.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Quote Originally Posted by 7x57 View Post
    but my son really wanted one and it was a lot cheaper than the GI carbines I saw.
    Not to be a downer, but you'll know why soon enough:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...versal+carbine

"Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Bub
    Yeah, I know about those stamped slides cracking on the later Universals, but mine is an earlier one, made with a G.I. slide. Hopefully, I won't be having those problems!

Boolit Master
    I picked up a universal this weekend as well.. I got a later one.. in stainless steel of all things.

I have the 311410, but no appropriate short .30 GC molds... so I guess I'll have to look harder at the 311359 again. Why do I always pass up the molds I'm about to need?
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!