RepackboxRotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Load Data Titan Reloading

Thread: patch materials?

Boolit Master

patch materials?

what do you guys make your patches from?

im shooting a .36 smooth bore(.35 ball)

Boolit Master Baron von Trollwhack's Avatar
    You may want to start with a piece of pocket drill (about .010" thick), a piece of blue or red pillow ticking (about .014/.016" thick), 10 ounce denim (about .020" thick), all cotton for sure. This would be for a .350 RB in a modern barrel. Jo-ann fabrics is the best place, some wally's have the same too. The clerks in the fabric stores know these names. Buy the minimum cut, wash with normal laundry. I iron for smoothness , tear a strip. On a new gun, I drop a piece of footlong metal rod down the barrel, put a strip about 6" long over the unloaded barrel, and short start a ball to just below flush. Start with the thinnest. If it won't pull out with the extra you left, upend the gun, letting the rod knock the ball out. May take a couple of hits.

Tight fit for target and a range rod, looser fit for in the woods and a traditional rod. You will need lube for actual shooting. See the lube part above.

BvT.
    Every lawbreaker we allow into our nation, or tolerate in our citizen population leads to the further escalation of law breaking of all kinds and acceptance of evil.
    Since almost all aspects of our cultural existence are LIBERAL in most states, this means that the nation is on a trajectory to dissolution by the burden of toleration and acceptance of LAWBREAKING as a norm, a trajectory back to the dark ages of history.

BvT

I use both pillow ticking for a thicker patch or cotton pillow case/sheet material if I need a .10 patch for my .40.
    Go to your local thrift store and look thru the 100% cotton shirts. Often you can get your patching material for little money. I have often been seen in thrift stores with a micrometer checking the thickness of likely materials. Most of these clothes have already been washed, shrinkage is unlikely, so the thickness is what it will remain.
    Ohio Rusty ><>
    "This is America !!, where many have fought and died for our right
    to celebrate our views with inflatable creatures in our yards ......."

Boolit Master

for my .36 green mountain barrel i use blue striped pillow ticking and.035 round balls.

Boolit Master
    Best find in a thrift store... Real linen! Usually in the womens clothes, pants mostly or a suit. One good score will usually last a good long time. 10 ga
    10 gauge: as per Robert Ruark, "use enough gun"

MOLON LABE

"I have a list, and am prepared for widespread civil disorder!" 10 ga

Boolit Grand Master
    I took my caliper and went to a fabric shop. I found some real, 100% pure linen that miked at .016. Works like a charm. I shoot a GPR in .54 caplock. With the linen patches and shooting from the bench, I can put .535 RBs in a 6 inch bull all day at a hundred yards.

I do like the otheres and buy from fabric stores. A yard of pure cotton patching cost about the same as a pack of 100 precut. Muslin, Duck and Drill are the three types I look at. 100% cotton and need to be washed. Buying pure white flannel for cleaning patches is not too dumb either as a yard is cheaper than a bag of cleaning patches.

DP

Boolit Grand Master

Back when I shot front stuffers in competition, I used pillow ticking that had been washed (to take the sizing out) and than ironed flat before I cut patches. Used square patches, as I had tried round and could not find any difference in accuracy.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Grand Master

An old cotton dress shirt that you don't want or need as long as it has a good tight weave works well. If you have some different ones in the closet, cut some patch samples and see what works best for you.
    Aim small, miss small!

went to goodwill and bought a 100% cotton sheet, took it home washed it a few times and turned out real good for patches. also found a couple yards of pillow ticking all for a few bucks.