Snyders JerkyWidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackboxLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Shot the .44 Magnum Contender......

Boolit Master

had the narrow little "splinter" grip to begin with. Went on to a fuller fatter wood grip, then I found the Pachs on GBO.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master

Recently picked up a 10" 44 mag bbl and have been loading 44 specials for it. I have used the lee 240 gr TL Boolit and the lee 200 gr RNFP. I used the classic skeeter load of 7.5 gr Unique. These are fun to shoot and I doubt anything down range from it would feel well if I did my part. Tim

Boolit Master

I liked the recoil so much with my Super 14” 44 Magnum that I had it rechamber to 445 Super Magnum!!!...
    (Only joking about enjoying the recoil)…

I actually never got good accuracy at all from the 44 Magnum barrel as the chamber was so long that I could almost chamber a 445 or it seemed that way…

The 445 was much more accurate but shooting a 429650 (320+ grains) at 1490 fps and an RCBS 44-240-SWC at 1762 fps made one aware that the primer did not fail to fire…

Really not a pleasure to shoot at all, but it is fairly accurate out to 200 yards, especially with the 429650…

I just hold it loosely and let the handgun recoil as it wishes. Most times it actually turns a bit to the left or right and ends up not inline after all quiets down. If you hold it tightly, you got problems…

I do use a Pachmeyer glove to protect the middle finger from the trigger guard…

Good-luck…BCB

Boolit Master
    I"m guessing some might not like this one. Its really not that bad.

bhn22
    Been having problems with tigers climbing on your elephants, huh?

Boolit Master
    Had my Super 14 rechambered to 430JDJ. Shoots much better.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dubber123 View Post
    I"m guessing some might not like this one. Its really not that bad.
    i like that one a lot would make a nice woods walker
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master
    I truly enjoy my super 14" in 30-30.I shoot it all summer for IHMSA matches. My favorite load is 18.5 gr SR 4759 under a RCBS 165 gr sil bullet. Have a Tasco scope on it w/target turrents. Mild recoil and more accurate than I probably can hold.
    I'm the King of my castle---anytime my wife's not around
    Life NRA member

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
    Thomas Jefferson

LIFE, LIBERTY, AND THE PURSIUT OF THOSE WHO TREATEN US

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LUCKYDAWG13 View Post
    i like that one a lot would make a nice woods walker
    It weighs 2-1/2 pounds, and has a 2-1/2 pound trigger. T/C sights are ugly, but a joy to use. This one will shoot under 1" at 50 yds. with a few different loads, the inexpensive LEE 450 grainer actually being the accuracy champ. Velocity with a 450 runs right around 1,000 fps. from the short barrel.

Groo here
    The lightest shortest contender is my 411JDJ. [A 444 necked to 41]
    If the gun is set up correctly and you use the correct hold shooting 375's and 45-70 with heavy bullets is not a problem.
    One , you need to shoot Rubber grips-Two , you need to port or install a brake-Three , a scope will not hurt [at least 3 rings , 4 is better]
    Shooting grip should not be a death grip nor should you try to "hold it down" [ porting or the brake will do that enough]
    AND the support hand needs to me on over the shooting hand but not under the trigger guard extension.[ Did that ONCE now 2 fingers on the trigger guard-to fingers on the shooting hand]
    PS The 411 is a 10 in barrel with iron sights and an arrester break from ssk ,is easy to shoot one handed short and light to carry and
    drives a 210 gr bullet at 2000fps.

Boolit Master
    Shot some of these yesterday. 375 JDJ launching a 400gr WFN over 55gr of WC860 & 5 gr Promo. Definitely not a contender safe load. Was tolerable with the JP brake. Had a stupid moment and spun the brake off then touched off the last round. HOLY MOTHER OF GOD!!!!!!!! I swear to god that thing swung my arms overhead and the barrel smacked me in the ***! Or at least it sure felt like that's what happened!

Some where between here and there.....

I've got the 12" bbl w/muzzle brake and it also has an extra long throat, so bullets are seated out to lands and at least
    .200" longer than normal 44mag. Shot extremely well at 100yds. Normal groups back then were right at 1 1/4".
    Charlie

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234