Thread: New species in the woods

Cast Hunter

Sounds like a Hodag.
    Boone and Crockett Club member
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by onondaga View Post
    Not like that, the hair was not rhone tipped and was like the color of the Tamarin. That looks like a rodent, maybe a crucified marmot! or an odd angle of a squirrel? What is that??? It looks pretty small too.

Gary
    ground hog. lol

Boolit Master

sometimes a porcupine will get sick and loose its quills.
    Last edited by troy_mclure; 05-08-2011 at 12:40 AM.

Boolit Master
    HI,
    I lived in Panama as a teenager.
    There are several species of Tree Sloth, older ones in nature even get a slight greenish tint to their fur from algae growing in it. Your description sure sounds a bit like a tree sloth. Look up some pictures of them & see if it is a sloth.
    It would have to be an escapee or released pet. It would also die in the cold.

Boolit Grand Master
    I lean toward an "escaped exotic pet" as an explanation. Assuming it's NOT a chupacabra, of course. Or, an anteater.......ZOT!!
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I have Fisher Martins in the area and occasional Mink. This animal was not long and slinky like them and was easily 4x the weight of a large Fisher Martin. It waddled side to side like a possum or porky waddles on the ground with a much different gait than a Martin or Mink

Gary
    Thyroid condition?
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master

I know color is wrong, but I am going to tend to ignore color since that is typically widely
    variable in subspecies and individuals. How about general body and head shape? Possible
    that the weird long skinny fingers could have been mistake for claws? Trying to see what
    approximate genus we may be talking about here.

What an easter egg hunt. If I find out you are pulling our legs, I'm going to be irritated.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Man
    Its Man-Bear-Pig!!!

Boolit Master

I don't have any idea what it might be other than someone's exotic pet that got loose. It's probably used to being around humans. I'd bait up a live trap and see what happens.
    Chuck

Boolit Master

Not gunna lie, I would have smoked it then thought about why I did later.

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

I couldn't shoot it. It was so oddly cute and I was actually talking Turkey with my calls when Colin spotted it. I really didn't want to stand as there was a turkey responding from out of sight but likely about 100 yards from us....We didn't get that either and the turkey was silent after we stood.

Gary
    If you don't mind Gary, where were you hunting? You mention Cattaragus County but you're all the way up in N. Tonowanda. I hunt down to Little Valley all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Quote Originally Posted by 82nd airborne View Post
    Not gunna lie, I would have smoked it then thought about why I did later.
    +1 on smoke check! I always tell my wife that if I ever see a sasquatch that I'm gonna drop it if for no other reason than proof that I saw it. Of course she thinks I'm a lunatic, but I can live with that.

Armorer

I think you did right leavign the critter be. If it wasn't hurting anything what the heck live and let live.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    Since its your property why not put a trail cam there and hope for a picture of the animal? Maybe some food as bait too for the picture.
    I'm a Red Cross blood donor- are you? Make an appointment to donate today http://www.redcrossblood.org/make-donation
    http://www.redcrossblood.org/

FOR Disaster Relief DONATIONS-
    http://http://www.redcross.org/charitable-donations

Boolit Master
    Here are a few photos of a Fischer, he was in my backyard and on my deck, some pics where taken through the screen door so quality suffered.

I think the color you described is wrong for any North American animal and so I agree with what shepard2 said about it being and escaped exotic pet.
    Last edited by dragonrider; 05-08-2011 at 08:57 AM.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

+1 Jal5...put out trail cams and bait it and maybe will have picture to compare with other species. I have to agree with some's pet loose but then I never been that far north. Maybe baby Windago?

In Remembrance

Have you given any thought to phoning a zoo or a vet and giving them a description of what you saw? A zoo may be a better bet for identifying it and perhaps helping to capture it.Robert

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    I think you did right leavign the critter be. If it wasn't hurting anything what the heck live and let live.
    We have (probably) thousands of species of non-native plants and animal life that have spread and ravaged parts of our country and our economy.

If you see something, weed, flower, or animal, that you know doesn't belong here you should take whatever means are at your disposal to eliminate it from the ecology.

DON'T let it go to seed ... DON'T let it breed.

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Master Baron von Trollwhack's Avatar
    MOONBAT ! Not related genetically to wombats, an Australian animal. NY is noted for its large population of MOONBATS.

Several other states also have large populations, and all states have some. Listen for their calls such as : Vote & then find out what you voted on; Hundreds of thousands of people come to that little town to hear cowboy poetry; the volt is exactly what America needs for the future(under ubama);Gun control is good for you, us polititions already gots our carry licenses fixed; 30 millions of hard working illegals NEED you working to provide their health insurance.

The varieties of impossible sounding calls is endless..........The calls are regional and unearthly, like something usually not heard. Panthers scream; moonbats whine.

BvT
    Every lawbreaker we allow into our nation, or tolerate in our citizen population leads to the further escalation of law breaking of all kinds and acceptance of evil.
    Since almost all aspects of our cultural existence are LIBERAL in most states, this means that the nation is on a trajectory to dissolution by the burden of toleration and acceptance of LAWBREAKING as a norm, a trajectory back to the dark ages of history.

BvT

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast