MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee Precision
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackbox
Wideners Load Data
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rust Free Mold Storage on the cheap

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=cbrick; snip
    I could use the VPI instead of the desicant chips I'm using now but aren't desicant chips treated with VPI? I could be wrong but I think they are.
    snip
    Rick[/QUOTE]

Dessicants are moisture absorbing materials. It is possible that some chips might be treated with VPI, but I sort of doubt it. Dessicants can easily be recycled by heating to dry them, restoring their capacity to absorb moisture. The VPI property would not survive the heating.

Boolit Master
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety".
    Benjamin Franklin

Where an excess of power prevails, property of no sort is duly respected. No man is safe in his opinions, his person, his faculties, or his possessions.
    James Madison

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by scb View Post
    WOW, $1.74 each. That's a great price, less than half what they are in the store.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master

So... How does one tell when VCI paper is worn out?

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    So... How does one tell when VCI paper is worn out?

Um... er.... Rust?

Boolit Master
    How about mil-spec dessicant? http://www.desiccare.com/unitpaks.html

The guys at work save these for me from the boxes of welding wire. You pay shipping and I'll send you a flat rate box of them.

I have 1/2 unit paks and 4 Unit paks(very few of these).

Ron
    In all, the .41 Magnum would be one of my top choices for an all-around handgun if I were allowed to have only one. - Bart Skelton

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by nanuk View Post
    Um... er.... Rust?
    I agree that would be a sure indicator. I would prefer one a little cheaper. The inability to determine if it is still viable without rusting up the things I'm trying to keep rust free makes VCI paper a non starter for me...

Boolit Buddy
    I just store my molds in the gun safe with the golden rod heating element.I have also jut put them on top of a water heater tank, just a little warmer than the surrounding air. Frank C.

Boolit Master
    Whats wrong with empty peanut butter jars (Plastic), air and water tight, room for a few other things. Any mother with some kids will save and give you all you want (Free), LOL. I use them for lots of things, never a problem!!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Changeling View Post
    Whats wrong with empty peanut butter jars
    Nothing at all. The only wrong way for you is a way that your not happy with. Not a post in this thread that says you have to do or not do anything. Only suggestions offered, just like yours. If your happy with peanut butter jars that is exactly what you should use. So where is the problem?

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

CRPA Life Member

Boolit Master
    Ever use rice to absorb moisture? An article in Backwoodsman used rice in a sock when burying guns in PVC pipe.

Boolit Master
    Found a good box at WalMart yesterday by Sterilight. Has a gasket and locks down on all four sides like in the O.P. It is sized as 2.5 cups and was about 2 bucks.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter6br View Post
    Ever use rice to absorb moisture? An article in Backwoodsman used rice in a sock when burying guns in PVC pipe.
    If rice absorbs moisture, why doesn't it cook itself on the shelf?

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    Back in the 60s I started collecting those nice packets of silica gel. Some packets had indicators mixed in. When the gel was reaching its capacity the indicator pellets still change from BLUE to pink. I put the gel in baby food jars, frill holes in the lid (lots of them) cover the jar opening with a piece of cloth then put the lid on. When the indicators start to change color time to heat them up in the oven and when they get that nice BLUE color back pour them back in the jar. It has worked for over 45 years so far.

I will not fix it because it works.
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

I get these containers for free when I buy potato salad at my local grocery store. The 1 pound size is normally $2. the 3 pound size is normally $5. They are sometimes cheaper when I find them on sale.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN0648.jpg  
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks guys, I didn't expect so many responses. Many good suggestions.
    mold maker

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by mold maker View Post
    Thanks guys, I didn't expect so many responses. Many good suggestions. mold maker
    ?? Do you have the right post? This is your first post in this thread.

Rick

CRPA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master

I followed the link from the original.
    Thanks.

I have my local pharmacist save the silica gel packs that come with every shipment of pills, capsules, tablets their pharmacy receives. I stick one or two in the mould box of moulds I'm not using and change them out every few months. The gel packs can be reactivated by drying in the oven carefully. I keep almost all of my moulds in .50 cal ammo cans and unused gel packs in .30 cal ammo cans. They're hermetically sealed and I find much more convenient than any commercial/plastic affair. Moulds that I use regularly, I leave in handle and store them in .50 cal ammo cans, with the mould blocks banded and a good layer of bubble wrap between moulds to prevent any potential damage. Works like a charm and at next to no cost. I just pick up extra ammo cans when they go on sale at the local Army/Navy store or surplus outlets such as Princess Auto up here in Canada. Most that I have cost less than ten bucks and are the same as new.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting."
    - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrick View Post
    Before I started using these for my molds I filled a 5 gallon pail with water, placed a desicant chip in the container, closed it and held it on the bottom of the bucket with a brick. A week later I took the container out, dried it off and took the desicant chip out, bone dry, no moisture at all.
    I thought for a minute you were going to say the desicant sucked the 5 gals. of water dry.
    Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast