RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxInline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Wideners Snyders Jerky

Thread: how I would use air to automate the star sizer

how I would use air to automate the star sizer

Lathsmith will make a handle with a threaded end rather than a handle. Afraid to ask him the price. I would ask for the threaded handle to be 14 inch total length. with 1.5 inch of thread. using all Clippard parts
    I am sure many revisions could be made. As for myself the $5 spring from ebay and a bit of string. will have to do for me . not willing to spend that much money for occasional use. Opps spoke to soon. got the spirng in today, Might be ok if did not have arithritis in my should and elbow. and used the standard maga star handle. Find i will go for the automation with air. Order custom threaded handle today from Lathesmith. Could be up an running if few weeks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails boolets.jpg  
    Last edited by tackstrp; 05-07-2011 at 04:15 PM. Reason: spelling corrected for the $5 spring. did not live up to my expectations.
    We dont need no stinking store brought bullets.

Boolit Buddy
    Tack tell you what if you got the know how and want to tackle this project and document it for others I can probably come up with items 1,2,4,5,12 on your list for the cost of postage.
    Might be able to come up with more if you want to cross reference your parts numbers with someone like McMaster Carr / MSC / Grainger.

angus6 sure . PM me a PAYPAL email and can send cost of flat rate box. or USPS money order I will work on cross referenceing some of the other things. not real sure how. The big ticket item is the 1 1/16 inch Double action air clyinder with a 14 inch stroke . I will look to see what information i can find online.

Boolit Buddy
    p/m sent,
    If I'm on the same page I'm thinking that a SMC vhla202-n02 rotory hand valve, regulator and guage, a pair of needle valves, a few fittings and hose should set you up pretty good. You might look at a bigger dia. cylinder with shorter throw ? Hit ebay for a Bimba cylinder
    regulator will be a minature norgren or parker but wont have the lubricator
    Not quite the same parts as on your list but should handle it
    Last edited by angus6; 05-06-2011 at 09:59 PM.

never considered Rotary hand valve. Assume that would be with detent andfour way and three posistion. Needle valve think you mean something to slow the stroke . Extend of the stroke is the move handle up, almost no force. Pressure could be regulated before or at the cylinder. my plans has the regulatior at both places at the clyinder and again at the mini air pressore regullator before the clyinder.

I spent more than several hours coming up with the stoke length, Started off much shorter but thichness would limit the extend stroke. Setting the whole thing out futher seems to look best, most of all more leverage and less air pressuse for force.

Anyway setnt email to lathesmith for custom handle thread for 5/16

oh looked at ebay . limited choices in new . and prices dont seem any better than Clippard. Is an issue of freight . I can order all the parts at one time for about $20 for fees or several times that for shipping on Ebay.

pictures of parts

pictures of parts most left out a manifold . filters
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4-Way Toggle.jpg   Urethane Tubing.jpg   air regulator.jpg   CLEVIS MOUNTIG BRACKET.jpg   Push-Quick Male Compact Connector,.jpg  

ROD END.jpg   ROD CLEVBIS.jpg   Meter In Adjustable Flow Control Valve,.jpg  

Boolit Buddy
    Rotary hand valve. Assume that would be with detent and four way and three posistion.
    That's correct

more pictuers

more pictures of valves so many choices for the up and down control
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rotary valves.jpg   Foot pedal valves.jpg   push pull valve.jpg   lever valve.jpg  
    Last edited by tackstrp; 05-07-2011 at 10:28 PM.

Boolit Mold
    I will be very interested in how this works when done. I looked at air before I went with electric motor and a interruptible rotary motion. My biggest concern with air is the lack of smoothness as the air pressure builds up in the cylinder to do the work.

jarel, i will find out in week or so. Getting side tracked with insulation and air condition for Tool shed . Wife kicked me out of the garage.

Jarel have had my system running for few days now. . Have not noticed any soft spots or mushing while air pressure building up. It is so fast that with out the exhaust limit valves would flat be dangerous IMO. As it is I can slow it down, to almost a dead stop. With the monontary lever valve, When i remove hand from the lever, the clyinder stops. Mid-stroke or what ever. I put a regulator on the down movenent of the handel. takes so little air not sure it registers at all. Got the last part in today, will try and take some pictures , Going on a holiday thursday so may be another week or so. Dont have any unsized bullets, anyway.

Banned
    Looks more complicated than it needs to be in my opinion.

Boolit Mold
    After watching your video I have to say it is smooth as butter. Good job in opinion.

Boolit Master
    Would it help you guys to have electric operated valves to cut down on hoses everywhere and be easier to turn on and off. - Bill --

Quote Originally Posted by Old Caster View Post
    Would it help you guys to have electric operated valves to cut down on hoses everywhere and be easier to turn on and off. - Bill --
    dont think so. have the hornany lnl, Star Sizer and a lee press with a lee bluge buster automated with pneumatics . keep saying i will take pictures. Got to do that.