WidenersRotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataInline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 10 of 39 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Project - PID on Lee Pro 4 20 furnace

Quote Originally Posted by thehouseproduct View Post
    Ok, bought my parts, now I have a couple of really dumb questions.
    1) How do you mount the PID vertical instead of horizontal? There isn't room for the clips in that direction.
    2) How do you strip the wires on the thermocouple? The cloth or braided stainless don't respond to wire strippers.
    I'm in the middle of making my PID too - resorted to using cuticle sissors to remove the insulation from the thermostat wire. Crude, but it worked.
    "Those who give up essential liberties for temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety."
    -Benjamin Franklin
    NRA Life Member

Can a J thermocouple be used? or it has to be K? I am starting with mi project.

Quote Originally Posted by stanley2 View Post
    Can a J thermocouple be used? or it has to be K? I am starting with mi project.
    Yes. Just make sure it has the temperature range you need. It may cost a little more but it will also be more sensitive.

Hello, I just completed this project tonight. I used Cranium's parts list and the schematics that are posted here. I plugged it in and it works!!! If your on the fence about building this project, go for it. I'm no scientist and I had success. I'll be using it with my Lyman Mag 20. Thank You to all that contributed to this thread.

hasn't happened without some pics!

Anyone have any feedback on how you secured the PID in the case? Did you modify the supplied clip?
    Visit my page at www.echoarms.com for casting, reloading, and firearms accessories as well as FFL services in Southern California.

Like my Facebook page: Echo Arms

Quote Originally Posted by thehouseproduct View Post
    Anyone have any feedback on how you secured the PID in the case? Did you modify the supplied clip?
    What case are you referring to? The aluminum case I used did not require any modification. It slipped right into the opening made for it.

I wanted to turn my PID 90 deg. so that the "feet" of the case would be down. The supplied clip locks into groves in the PID. When I rotated it, there where no groves for it to clip into so I super glued a cardboard tab on each side and when I slid the clip on, it clicked and locked with the cardboard tabs holding it. I wish I had taken pics of it but I have it buttoned up now with the screws locktited in place. That is my gripe with the box from Auber. Where the screws are drilled and tapped is not very good. Mine could have fallen out with out some lock tite to hold them. Other then that it's a very nice box and works great for this project.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pid heater.jpg   pid heater (1).JPG   pid heater (2).JPG  

thanks alot cranium, i made one of these a few months ago and it works great... just now getting around to thanking you !! ..my hats off to you job well done... bill
    PMI pistol range USMC 85-89

im looking for these contender pistol barrels--> 6tcu,.30herrett

barrels i have-->.221 fireball,7-30 waters,7tcu,.357 herrett,.44 mag,6.5tcu

There's only 2 people in this world i trust, one of them is me the other one's not you...

Boolit Master

no power to pot?

OK, I've read thru this thread and others, did a search and didn't find an answer to my question/situation, so with that in mind...

I want to put a plug receptacle in the work box to plug the pot into. How do I wire the receptacle for power? I'm using the wiring diagram in fig. 8 of the instructions, minus the alarm. This diagram only shows one wire going to the 'heater' when I would think it should be two. Or am I using the wrong wiring diagram?

Right now I have power to the PID and it is registering the K type TC so I'm good there but I don't have power to the receptacle. What am I doing wrong???

WRNK-191 (K type TC)
    SYL-2352 (PID controller)
    RS1A40D25 (25A SSR)
    HS25 (heat sink)
    https://wbrpc.org/

genealogy, another area of interest

feedback - http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...9613-czech_too

ADMIN

terminals 7&8 on the PID go the the SSR. 7 is + and 8 is -
    That go to the control side of the ssr which is typically terminals 3 & 4.
    then on the SSR you will see LINE and LOAD.
    Line is hooked to the hot side of the AC input (black wire if 120)
    the Load is run to your receptacle. You then run a neutral wire (white wire) to the other side of the receptacle from your input power.

Look at figure 5.3 (120v) or 5.4 (240)
    http://auberins.com/images/Manual/Ma...sion%203.4.pdf

Boolit Master
    Referencing 5.3, or fig. 8
    The only thing I'm missing, yeah right, is a wire from #10 to the other side of the 'heater' which in my case would be the receptacle. Everything else is wired as per the diagram. I just couldn't 'visualize' how that wire would be connected to the other side of the 'heater'.
    Guess it's time to go out in the cold and wet and pay a visit to the 'shop'. THANKS bunches, this has really been bugging me.
    https://wbrpc.org/

genealogy, another area of interest

feedback - http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...9613-czech_too

Boolit Master

DavZee,

I turned my PID in my case for the same reason--to get the feet on the bottom.

I first drilled and tapped the clip for set screws then marked where the holes contact the PID housing. Marked through the drilled holes with the clip pushed tight to the PID. I wanted to drill a small indent on the housing but actually drilled all the way through the plastic--lucky there was nothing below the holes

This mod works fine and I'm happy with it

walt
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Buddy

After reading all the posts in this thread, I'm sold. I ordered parts from Auberins yesterday and am now playing the waiting game. I can't wait to put one of these together to use with my Lee Pro 4-20!
    USAF Retired

WAR EAGLE!

"A government that does not trust its law abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is its self unworthy of trust."
    - James Madison

Congrats on your decision. You won't regret it!

Used mine today for the first time.Worked perfect! Love it!

Boolit Buddy

My parts came in and I built my PID. Plugged it in and it works like a charm! Many thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread!

In the pic, it was heating up for the first time under PID control.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PID.jpg  
    USAF Retired

WAR EAGLE!

"A government that does not trust its law abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is its self unworthy of trust."
    - James Madison

Quote Originally Posted by Cranium View Post
    Congrats on your decision. You won't regret it!
    I have wanted to make this change to my lead pot and finally got around to it this winter. Thanks to your excellent post Cranium the project was easy. Not exactly like yours but will work for me.

The holder for the thermocouple is made from a 3/8" stainless pipe coupling fillled with a piece of "Cordiorite Solder Pad" purchased from Tripps.com, two 3/8" stainless washers are tack welded to each end to keep the insert in place, and an 1/8" hole was drilled through the center.
    The spacer to hold the thermocouple off the bottom is also part of a solder pad with a hole drilled through it.

John

Last edited by Johnw...ski; 01-25-2012 at 07:39 AM.
    -Remember-
    Anything is possible if you don’t know what your talking about.

Boolit Master
    Since making my PID I have come up with 2 more uses for it.
    When setting up my Lube sizer heater I used it to calibrate my heat adjuster (aka dimmer switch)
    Last time I made bullet lube I went looking for the wifes cooking thermometer. It was broken. So I got the PID an used it so I wouldn't' scorch my FWFL.
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by kbstenberg View Post
    Since making my PID I have come up with 2 more uses for it.
    When setting up my Lube sizer heater I used it to calibrate my heat adjuster (aka dimmer switch)
    Last time I made bullet lube I went looking for the wifes cooking thermometer. It was broken. So I got the PID an used it so I wouldn't' scorch my FWFL.
    Kevin
    Excellent uses for it. Makes me wish I made mine removable.

But, I want to do a couple more PID projects and am dabbling in designing my own simple controller for my lube sizer.

Page 10 of 39 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast