Titan ReloadingLoad DataRepackboxLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Wideners
Page 37 of 39 FirstFirst ... 27282930313233343536373839 LastLast

Thread: Project - PID on Lee Pro 4 20 furnace

Boolit Man
    Can the TC-K6 thermocouple be mounted in the bottom of the pot? Immersed in lead?

It has 1/4-20 threads.

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?ma...&products_id=2

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Devon View Post
    Can the TC-K6 thermocouple be mounted in the bottom of the pot? Immersed in lead?

It has 1/4-20 threads.

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?ma...&products_id=2
    And to answer my own question, yes it will leak.

ADMIN

It's not designed for that application. Weld a nut to the bottom of the pot and screw it into it so the TC bottoms out against the base of the pot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Don't like being hammered by the Cast Boolits Staff, then don't be a nail.
    The rules are simple to follow.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by HATCH View Post
    It's not designed for that application. Weld a nut to the bottom of the pot and screw it into it so the TC bottoms out against the base of the pot

I like this idea but lack a welder. Would JB weld work this application? I know there are all sort is variants of it. Just wondering if it would hold up to the heat and pressure.

Moderator Emeritus

I haven't investigated the bottom of the Lee pot for a bottom mounted TC, but I would think it would be thin enough for mounting via a "through hole", with a nut on the inside.

I wouldn't trust any JB weld or epoxy, unless it was rated for 1000º F continuous.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

ADMIN

You would need a well if your gonna drill thru the bottom as it will always leak.

Don't like being hammered by the Cast Boolits Staff, then don't be a nail.
    The rules are simple to follow.

Boolit Master
    A copper washer under the nut on the inside of the pot may possibly
    be leak proof/resistant. ???
    I do think that the best would be a fixed tube/well in/alongside the inside wall of the
    pot into which one inserts (a long enough) TC will be the best setup. That is what I
    plan on now that I have my PID built. Too cold right now on my casting bench in the garage to try it out.
    beltfed/arnie

Boolit Buddy
    Why not just use a ‘washer style’ TC under the nut that screws onto the bottom pour spout on the inside between the inner and outer shells of the pot? By doing that, the only drilling would be on the ‘outer’ shell without the worry of leakage. Of course you would first need to disassemble the pot in order to do that.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhoa4396 View Post
    Why not just use a ‘washer style’ TC under the nut that screws onto the bottom pour spout on the inside between the inner and outer shells of the pot? By doing that, the only drilling would be on the ‘outer’ shell without the worry of leakage. Of course you would first need to disassemble the pot in order to do that.
    I used a plain wire junction TC crimped onto a large ring terminal on the spout nut. Just adjust the POD offset to match actual lead temp thermometer. A little work but the best solution.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneStarTx View Post
    I used a plain wire junction TC crimped onto a large ring terminal on the spout nut. Just adjust the POD offset to match actual lead temp thermometer. A little work but the best solution.

Oops, not POD, PID offset

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by flemdoug View Post
    Phlier, I just finished up my new PID as well. This is just an idea for a thermocouple mount rig that is working great for me. I went to Home Depot and picked up a 12" X 5/16" length of threaded stock, and an L-shaped bifold door bottom bracket, a few 5/16" nuts/washers, and a 5/16" wingnut. I sawed the back off the bottom bracket (so that the L part of the bracket would not interfere with the wings on the wingnut) and drilled out the plastic section to fit the transition section on my thermocouple (I drilled just a few thousands smaller so I had to use a little force to push the thermocouple into the plastic). You can see how the threaded stock is secured to the base in the pics. (I wanted the mount to attach to the base instead of the pot to reduce as much as possible any heat transfer to the thermocouple. Probably not necessary since the sensor is in the tip, but Auberin also suggests only 3" submersion for the 6" thermocouple. So to avoid any issues I chose this approach.)

It works great, allowing me to adjust the up/down and in/out (toward side or center of pot) so that I can position the thermocouple exactly. (Although in/out can out is also somewhat adjustable by swinging the assembly close to the edge of the pot or farther out). My only concern was how the plastic would hold up to the heat. At 850 degrees, it did not melt or change properties. (I apologize for the orientation of the pics, for some reason the software wants to rotate them horizontally)

Attachment 184207Attachment 184208Attachment 184209
    Nice setup but plastic is not needed. As you said the TC sensor is only at tip. The TC tube is only to protect wire insulation.

Boolit Master
    Late to the party, but I plan to test mine this weekend. New Lee pot, lined it with thin "furnace paper" hi temp insulation around the putter walls and bottom. Paid built and ready to go. Haven't bottom poured on over 30 years, so that will be new too! My TC will be in the lead at this point, didnt want to go to the trouble of making the well when a 100mm TC was 8$. Thanks for all the info on this thread, saved me some missteps!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Mold
    Will this group of parts work. so confused after reading some 20 pages!https://www.amazon.com/Inkbird-Tempe...KB6Y4JDH70G5ZH

Quote Originally Posted by Itzdapig View Post
    Will this group of parts work. so confused after reading some 20 pages!https://www.amazon.com/Inkbird-Tempe...KB6Y4JDH70G5ZH
    That will work but you can find it quite a bit cheaper on Ebay. You might want to get a K type (6" long) thermocouple too. The Inkbird reads only in celcius. The Mypin units can read in either C or F. Look up Barley and Hops Brewing on YouTube. He has a lot of really good videos on building, wiring, and setting PID's. He has separate video sets for Mypin and Inkbird units.
    Do you want fries with that?

Boolit Man
    I wish someone made a ready to use PID controller in a project box.
    I don't feel comfortable enough to do it myself.
    Thanks

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by repeat View Post
    I wish someone made a ready to use PID controller in a project box.
    I don't feel comfortable enough to do it myself.
    Thanks
    A member here by the name of HATCH sells them.

Here is a link to his page: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-setup-UPDATE!
    Last edited by Camper64; 06-13-2019 at 08:43 AM.

WHAT WOULD YOU CHARGE ME TO MAKE ME A pid UNIT AS THE ONE YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT

Boolit Master

wire type from thermocouple connector to PID

Based on having read too many pages to keep it all straight, a little clarification is needed. I did not have enough cable to use from the female thermocouple connector I mounted on the box to the PID, so I used the closest gauge copper wire I had on hand. It is reading and working but do not at the moment had a thermometer to use for comparison.

Have I committed a Bozo No-No by not using Type K specific wire? And if I did, where can I get just 12" of appropriate cable/wire?
    Last edited by oley55; 08-16-2020 at 09:10 PM.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by oley55 View Post
    Based on having read too many pages to keep it all straight, a little clarification is needed. I did not have enough cable to use from the female thermocouple connector I mounted on the box to the PID, so I used the closest gauge copper wire I had on hand. It is reading and working but do not at the moment had a thermometer to use for comparison.

Have I committed a Bozo No-No by not using Type K specific wire? And if I did, where can I get just 12" of appropriate cable/wire?
    That is definitely a mistake to use the wrong wire. Mine had about 4-5 feet of wire on the TC. Just cut a short piece off that and reattach your connectors. That wire is available from Auber Instruments by the foot and probably on ebay I suppose.
    Mike

Benefactor Member NRA
    Life Member Iowa Firearms Coalition
    US Army Vet

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation.
    One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams 1826

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mike W1 View Post
    That is definitely a mistake to use the wrong wire. Mine had about 4-5 feet of wire on the TC. Just cut a short piece off that and reattach your connectors. That wire is available from Auber Instruments by the foot and probably on ebay I suppose.
    Thanks Mike, I bought the 90 degree bend thermocouple from the salt-bath guy in Canada and there is not nearly enough wire for me to get the 8" I'd need.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Page 37 of 39 FirstFirst ... 27282930313233343536373839 LastLast