Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationWidenersRepackbox
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: LeveRevoltuion Powder

In Remembrance
    Well I tried 31 thru 33 grains behind the 311041, and still have all my fingers. lol No signs of any pressure. The snow was rotten to walk in, so my target wasn't really far enough to tell much though. I tried it up to 33 grains in the 30 remington too, and all seemed well there too.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuz View Post
    I loaded up some LeveRevolution for my .30-30's the other day, using the NOE 311-165RF and 34, 34.5 and 35g of powder. That powder flows thru my Dillon 450 measure like butter. I can't wait to try these loads. Maybe today after church?!
    Well I tried them and was somewhat disappointed at the accuracy. Velocity was 2257 to 2300, so I suspect the air cooled Bhn 11 alloy was insufficient at that speed. I have since heat treated the same alloy and wound up with them being .001 larger, and we'll see what that brings next time out to the range.
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Boolit Master
    Eureka! 34g of LeveRevolution and the heat treated NOE 30-165RF at .310 & Saeco 10-11(Bhn 22-27), gave me a .81" 4 shot group at 50 meters yesterday! WLR primer and OAL of 2.400. Velocity was 2283fps with an SD of 7. 34.5g and 35g were tried and were just not as accurate. Air cooled .310 boolits of Bhn 11 to 14 with the same powder charges was also tried and the groups were non-existant!

Boolit Master
    bttt to keep this from getting lost in cyberspace...

PS: Is it possible to consider making this a "sticky"?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by NYBushBro View Post
    bttt to keep this from getting lost in cyberspace...

PS: Is it possible to consider making this a "sticky"?

It's a standard reference thread for me. So far I've found powders that perform better in my situation but it's on my shelf and quite suitable for more than one cartridge I enjoy. Giving it a second look in the 35 Rem right now.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    Bought a pound of LVR the other day, so I'm subscribing to this thread. I'm planning to use it in .30-30, .303 Br and perhaps a couple others. Thanks, Larry!

Great read and thank you, Mr. Gibson, for all of your testing and data. Can't beat M43/strain gauge data. Learned a lot from reading this thread.

JX

Boolit Buddy

I worked up some loads using NOE's RCBS 180 FN clone in my H&R 30-30 Win.
    I sized the boolits to .312, GC and lubed with 2500+. OAL of 2.536" and using CCI 200 primers. #2 alloy from Rotometals was used throughout.
    Started with 34.0 grs and worked up to 36.0 grs, 0.5gr at a time. 5 rounds at each level.
    At 34.0grs I had a bit of vertical stringing, mostly because I forgot that this rifle strings when it get warm. 3" group at 100 yards. Normal extraction and no leading.
    34.5grs it grouped around 2.75". Normal extraction, no leading.
    35.0grs got interesting. Extraction was a little stiffer, still no leading. 1.75" group.
    35.5grs group continued to tighten but extraction was getting stiff. No leading, 1.25" group.
    36.0grs extraction was stiff, primers starting to flatten a little. A light amount of leading. .90" group.
    I think I'm going to back down to 32.0grs and try working up to 34.5grs, taking time to let the barrel cool more between shots and see how that works out.
    The sticky extraction and primers beginning to show signs of flattening make me a bit nervous at the 36.0gr load.
    I'm also going to try using a softer alloy 50/50 (COWW/SOWW) with a bit of tin for castability and see how that goes.

CPL Lou

Boolit Buddy

Forgot to add, the rifle has microgroove rifling.
    Barrel slugged at .308"
    All boolits lightly engraved the rifling at the nose.

CPL Lou

Boolit Master
    CPL Lou--Do you have a chronograph? What is the hardness of your Rotometals #2 alloy?
    I found that I had to heat treat my boolits at the velocity I was getting with 34.0g of LeveRevolution. Refer to post #143.

Boolit Buddy

I have a chrono but didn't take it with me because of the heat and humidity (very bad for my health). I plan on taking it with me next time I go out as I also have some 45-70 loads I need to check the speed on.
    I don't have a means to test BHN....yet. But I suspect it's around 15.
    I'm also going to check out some of the boolits that I cast 50/50, COWW/SOWW, but plan on keeping them around 1800fps.
    I'll update as testing progresses.

CPL Lou

Boolit Mold
    Now That I've Found This Thread Again, I'm Bumping So its Easier To Find As I Reread It.

Boolit Grand Master

Good thread to bump, not that I'd ever do that.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Buddy
    I have found a pound of LVR finally, so am jumping into this. I will be loading these to shoot out of a Magnum Research BFR 30/30. Oh where to start.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wis. Tom View Post
    I have found a pound of LVR finally, so am jumping into this. I will be loading these to shoot out of a Magnum Research BFR 30/30. Oh where to start.
    Sounds like you're off to a great start, wondering if the BFR has a long enough barrel for the LVR powder.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FNGC View Post
    Now That I've Found This Thread Again, I'm Bumping So its Easier To Find As I Reread It.
    Why don't you just click on "Thread Tools" at the top of this thread and subscribe to this thread..

Boolit Mold
    I Did After I Found It.

Quote Originally Posted by Nrut View Post
    Why don't you just click on "Thread Tools" at the top of this thread and subscribe to this thread..

Boolit Master

I've tried the Speer 75 gr with 30 grs. of LVR in my old Winchester 1894 25-35. It shot very well & showed no signs of pressure, but to be on the safe side, I'm going to drop the load down to 29.5 grs. & see how it goes.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm gonna have to try this in my 303 Savage. I have a pound, better get to it!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wis. Tom View Post
    I have a BFR 30-30

here is some data

37.9 Grans of Leverrevolution CCI 250 primer 150 grain Hornady interlock FP Ave Velocity-1948 FPS

34.7 Grains Leverrevolution, CCI Lrg RFL Mag Primer, 170 Grain Nosler Partition, Ave Vel-1803 FPS

Same as above except 34.0 Grains LR powder and a 170 Grain FPGC bullet 1822 FPS Ave.

All brass dropped easily from the chambers primers were nice and round on the edges. All the loads listed shot very accurately.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast