Inline FabricationRepackboxLee PrecisionReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Snyders Jerky

Thread: Stick on WW's

Boolit Master

Stick on WW's

I have about three hundred pounds of stick on WW's that I was wondering what to do with. I am currently casting 9mm, 38/357, 40 cal, 44, 45 ACP, and some 308 for my 30-30. I was told by some local casters that the pure lead is only good for muzzle loaders. Is this true?? Is there something I can do with the pure lead WW's?? Can I mix it with my Clip on WW's with some tin?? Thanks
    "The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789])

Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
    Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master
    I really like the way a 50/50 blend of WW's and pure lead shoots in my .38's

Banned

Lizard333

I'd recommend getting some Linotype in strips from Ebay or some Linotype ingots from Rotometals at the top of the page to start. Don't buy ingots of Lino from Ebay it is too easy to get inaccurate alloy.

The Lino will alloy with your stick on (Just about pure lead) will make any practical shooting alloy. Check out this site to determine what alloys you wish to use and how to make them:

http://www.lasc.us/IndexBrennan.htm

I use Lyman #2 alloy for just about everything it is 90% lead, 5% tin And 5% antimony. with a BRN hardness~15.
    Pure lead as I can get I use for Muzzle Loading balls and conical ML bullets, and 12 ga slugs. BRN 5-8.

Gary
    Last edited by onondaga; 05-04-2011 at 04:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by txbirdman View Post
    I really like the way a 50/50 blend of WW's and pure lead shoots in my .38's
    Works great for bullseye loads in .45 too.
    R.M.

The tree of liberty must be watered periodically with the blood of tyrants and patriots alike..........Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Grand Master

Lizard333,

Here's another article for you to consider. I wrote this article last year primarily to see what I could do with the 800 pounds of SWW that I have, you don't have to use these recipes, get out your calculator and wizzards cap and see what you can come up with. Was some interesting experiments. Enjoy.

Blending Cast Bullet Antimony Alloys,
    Alloying with Roto Metals Super Hard

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Master
    I'm good with 50/50 clip-ons to stick-ons for 45 auto and even some revolver loads. I use this alloy water quenched or heat treated for my 375 H&H GC boolits pushed out past 2300 fps with no problems.

Boolit Master

Good to know I don't have three hundred pounds of useless lead.
    "The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789])

Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
    Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard333 View Post

I'm not sure that there's such a thing as useless lead.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Grand Master

Hhmmm . . . another good analogy of two words that simply cannot be used together as they are direct opposites.

Politcally correct,

And now . . .

Useless lead.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard333 View Post
    Yeah, useless politician I get, but lead??? I shoot a lot of what I call 50/50 alloy; lead/clip ww. It runs fine in lower pressure rounds air cooled. Water drop it & it's back near clip ww alloy again.