Inline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyLoad DataRepackboxTitan Reloading
Wideners RotoMetals2

Thread: Seating depth of RCBS 243-095-SP in 6mm Remington 788

Seating depth of RCBS 243-095-SP in 6mm Remington 788

Got around to using my Hornady (Stoney Point) Lock n Load OAL gage. Screwed on the modified case, stuffed in a sized boolit, extended it out to about the second band, and ran it into the chamber. Softly ran the suport rod in until it firmed up, then tightened the set screw. The OAL to just touch the rifling is @ 2.750-ish. Anything deeper appears to leave the gas check below the top of the shoulder.

At low velocities, this probably would not be a concern.

Using the RCBS precision mic, the gage shows @ .130", not sure yet if that is a relative number. Whatever.

Don't have any sized Lyman 245496 on hand (won't fit in the LnL modified case), but I'd bet that #1: its shorter, and #2, you could seat it out farther, so the gas check will be comfortably in the neck.

Boolit Master

Talking

If the bottom of the gas check is at the neck shoulder junction you are good to go.

Nope the Loverin bullet will seat much deeper in the case. Lyman book list a COL of 2.480"
    which would have the case mouth in the second grease grove from the top not counting the crimp grove. Gas check is still below the neck up to the bottom band. Mine end up much shorter than that My gas check is at the bottom of the shoulder.

As long as your case neck has room to expand in the chamber to release the bullet. I don't think it's an issue. However opinions vary on that one.

I have a Lyman #245496 84 grain sitting here. Without a gas check on it. .829” L. Point of the nose to first drive band is .280”.