Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackboxLoad Data
Wideners Inline Fabrication

Thread: Gas Checks Not seating right??

Boolit Master

Gas Checks Not seating right??

When putting on my 35 Cal gas checks on 158 SWC boolits, the gas check buckles. I have what appears to have a hollow base.. I don't know how else to explain it. This ever happen to anyone else?? What am I doing wrong. I am sizing them to 357. Thanks!

Seems like what I have here:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=113002

Try a flat GC seater (like Lyman) or use a thinner GC.

Boolit Master

I am using a lyman 4500. I am trying to seat the gas check as I am resizing and lubing the boolit. I have done 30 cal and 44 cal with no problem. They are commercial copper gas checks made by Hornady.

Boolit Buddy

Does the gas check fit the shank or are you trying to force it into place?

Boolit Buddy
    To fix the problem of really tight gas checks, either from small checks or a shank that's a little oversize, flare the checks. There are several ways to do this. I use a piece of cold rolled steel with a slight taper ground on one end. The small end just fits inside the check. When driven into the check with a light tap from a hammer, the result is a slightly larger tapered opening in the check. You can also use an appropriately sized steel ball, a ground off taper punch, etc.

Boolit Master

The gas checks are a little tight but not excessive. Just frustrating.
    "The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789])

Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
    Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Buddy
    Try making a flaring tool for the checks. It adds a step, but makes the check seating process much easier if the checks don't go on the shank easily. I did that for the first time when I opened a new box of Hornady 30 caliber checks and found that this lot was ever so slightly smaller than the previous lot. The checks were wanting to hang up and shave a little lead during seating. A little time at the grinder with a piece of 3/8" cold rolled round stock and the problem was solved. So far I have made two, one for 30 caliber and one for 22.

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

I happily discovered that the ball on the end of my bench vise handle flares both 30 and 357 caliber gaschecks just fine.

Boolit Master
    Have you checked the length of the check shank on the boolit compared to length of the check wall measured on the inside. ???
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Boolit Grand Master

I have experienced the exact same thing on .308 cal GCs, never had any complaints from the backstop, or the deer. I mean so what? Are they being detrimental to accuracy? why is this a big problem if the doggone boolit goes where you aim it? I truly believe that if you were to go up .001 on your sizer you would see dramatic improvement. Either that or your casting method could be producing boolits that are on the high side, or maybe there is a little flashing on the base of your boolit?
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

My buddy has a new lot of Gator 30's and they are extremely hard to seat and do not shoot as well as Hornady's or aluminum checks so he annealed them.Before annealing 2.5"- 3" after 1.25" 1.5".These are 10 shot groups at 200 yards in a Time Precision in 30BR 1-12 twist Hart,.3095 x .100 throat.

HMP

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by HARRYMPOPE View Post
    My buddy has a new lot of Gator 30's and they are extremely hard to seat and do not shoot as well as Hornady's or aluminum checks so he annealed them.Before annealing 2.5"- 3" after 1.25" 1.5".These are 10 shot groups at 200 yards in a Time Precision in 30BR 1-12 twist Hart,.3095 x .100 throat.

HMP
    How would I do this? Re-sizing them really isn't and option.
    "The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789])

Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
    Benjamin Franklin