RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Titan ReloadingRepackboxInline FabricationLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Harbor Freight digital caliper for $8.47

Boolit Master

Harbor Freight digital caliper for $8.47 (now $4.27)

Just wanted to give you guys a heads up. HF just put a digital caliper on clearance for $8.47, reg. $24.99. At my local store, there was only one left.
    I checked it against my trusty ol' dial caliper and it matches exactly on small and large measurements. It even comes with a spare battery.

http://www.harborfreight.com/6-inch-...ngs-98851.html

Last edited by bumpo628; 05-05-2011 at 06:13 PM.
    Ronald Reagan once said that the most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help".
    Download my alloy calculator here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=105952

Boolit Buddy Carolina Cast Bullets's Avatar

HF digital caliper

Just got off the phone with my local HF. The caliper is a factory discontinue and they are out of stock and wont get anymore.

If you want one, get it now.

Jerry
    Carolina Cast Bullets
    Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional ! ! !

Boolit Master

Other than the color it is identical to my FA..
    Good, Cheap, Fast: Pick two.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Master

I got one of their "digital" micrometers. It is accurate. I've compared it against Mitutoyo mic's and they agree. enjoy Mike
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

I had one. Every time I took it out of the box, the battery was dead.

It went on ebay.

Boolit Master
    The one I got for my son works "perfectly." However, the display goes from easy to read to difficult to read. Cleaning the contacts might help, but as long as we can read it, we will just keep going.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky Raab View Post
    I had one. Every time I took it out of the box, the battery was dead...
    I purchased about a half dozen of their cheaper model with the plastic ruler and had the same problem, the batteries die almost instantly.

If you use calipers daily a quality pair like Mitutoyo is worth the price especially if you can find some lightly used, if you do decide to go with Chinese calipers skip the digital display and go for a dial or vernier model.

PP

Or just take the battery out when you put it away or buy batteries for it in bulk at Costco or Sam's Club.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    Or just take the battery out when you put it away or buy batteries for it in bulk at Costco or Sam's Club.
    They use button cell batteries which are concrete soluble and tend to be expensive, much better to just get mechanical calipers.

I had one. Every time I took it out of the box, the battery was dead.
    Don't store them in the box, at least with the lid closed on the on/off button.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    Don't store them in the box, at least with the lid closed on the on/off button.
    Agreed.

Boolit Grand Master

I bought several (HF) a couple years ago and they are still accurate and the batteries are still good.
    I gave one for a gift and as far as I know it is still working.
    Treat them with respect, as you would with an expensive tool, and they will preform likewise.

Boolit Buddy
    I've had one for 4-5 years. The battery has expired once. I do not abuse it and like it enough that I bought a spare.

Isaac

I have bought a couple from HF when they have gone on sale. This has been 2 years ago and I have had no worries at all. I also have a digital mic from them. Love em... If I ever need another, I will go back to HF and get one.

I have not had any problem out of batteries either. That is interesting.

I have one identical to it. The batteries it came with were a *** but after a trip to my friendly neighborhood ACE I aqcuired a good one and it has lasted me a few months now. Still has a strong easy to read display.

Armorer

I picked up several shop B-grade gauge blocks off of Ebay for $5. I was able to calibrate several micrometers to 0.0005". My cheap Cabela's digital caliper's display matched each gage block exactly. If you are working to a high level of precision at home, a few gage blocks are handy to prove your measuring tools. You will rarely need a complete set. A half dozen or so between 0.250" to 3.000" may be all you need. Be sure to wring them together properly before use.

Boolit Man
    The caliper is $8.47 at the store, but the page linked above mentioned the clearance price was $4.47! I printed it and took it to HF and they honored it. I bought two for give-aways to reloading friends... all for $9.10 including tax.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FLDad View Post
    The caliper is $8.47 at the store, but the page linked above mentioned the clearance price was $4.47! I printed it and took it to HF and they honored it. I bought two for give-aways to reloading friends... all for $9.10 including tax.
    Wow, they just lowered it! Man, do you have good timing...
    Get 'em while you can. They won't be here for much longer.
    Ronald Reagan once said that the most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help".
    Download my alloy calculator here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=105952

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by FLDad View Post
    Thank you!!! for posting.

Picked up two at the $4.47 price.

Boolit Man
    Glad you got there in time! I would have gone back today for more but my car was stolen last night... Police reports do kill a Saturday in a hurry!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast