Titan ReloadingInline FabricationWidenersLoad Data
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything

Thread: rcbs jr3

Boolit Master

rcbs jr3

morning,
    i got a rcbs jr3 fron e-bay as my lee challenger press is giving me fits the little lock button on top is sticking and im messing up the inserts trying to get them out.
    i will use my lee for a dedicated re-sizer ( 30.06 to 8x57).
    my question is ,is the jr3 a good press for my meager reloading needs?
    by the way i;m not knocking lee cos their challenger press is without doubt the best value for money in my opinion.
    will the rcbs be an upgrade or an equel to my finnicky lee.?
    i.m just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round..... i really love to watch them roll ,,,, J,W,L.

Boolit Master
    "my question is ,is the jr3 a good press for my meager reloading needs?"

Without a clue as what your needs are I don't know but the older presses did what was needed and they will still do so. Your 'new' press is different, if it's an improvement or not is up to you. You will quickly find why the old 'single toggle' lever systems lost out to the 'compond toggle' systems but it will work fine.

I am of the opinion that the various "quick change" die bushing systems are solutions to a non-existant problem but they seem to appeal to a lot of people. ???

Yep, it's a good one!

Boolit Master
    The JR is a well-built press and will serve you well. At one time, I was using only a 2 and a 3, but sold the 2 to subsidize a Rock Chucker II. Unless you are case forming, the JR's single toggle design is not lacking.

If you are left-handed, you will appreciate the JR's ability to be mounted for either left or right-handed operation.

If a primer catcher is not included, a call to RCBS may get you one at no cost.

If the handle does not stay in the up position, send me a PM and I'll explain how to correct it.

Banned
    The Jr uses the linkage of the original Pacific from 1930. It is a good system. The handle was upgraded (strengthened) with the JR3. Which is the same press as the RS.
    THe frame of the JR is the basis for the original Rockchucker. So yes it is strong enough, satisfactory enough for nearly any reloading task.
    Ken

Boolit Master
    To add to my post #4:
    I didn't like the bicycle handle bar grip -- thought it looked like a rather cheap after thought -- so I replaced it with a wooden ball purchased from a crafts store, and finished with Birchwood-Casey Tru-Oil.

Boolit Grand Master

I've had my Jr3 for over 20 yrs. I've made 8mm-06 out of 30-06 on it, andI have necked 30-06 to 25-06 on it. Just make sure it's solidly mounted and be willing to use a little muscle. One advantage that I like is that I've never stuck a case, I've run out of willingness to push that hard before one got stuck.

In short, a very capable press. You can do some case forming with it.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    thanks guy's
    i.m just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round..... i really love to watch them roll ,,,, J,W,L.

I bought a jr3 just for swaging. it works great. it will do just about anythging you want it to. +1 on the solid mounting with it.

Boolit Master
    i have the jr3 set up now and it is a pretty stout piece of iron, but like 462 mentioned i,m not to hot on the grip so i,m gonna drill a hole in a green snooker ball and J.B weld that sucker to the lever and all will be grand,
    have a great weekend and go throw some lead .