Voters
1185. You may not vote on this poll
  • gloves

859 72.49%
  • no gloves

326 27.51%
Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 131415161718192021222324 LastLast

Thread: gloves or no gloves.

the two hands are often engaged in different simultaneous activities when smelting-casting, and I often find myself using a more protective heavy welder's glove on one hand, and a lighter one on the other. initially it started because I had lost one of the same gloves, then I noticed that it can be a good compromise between manual agility and protection
    Food is overrated. A nice rifle is way more important.
    Rob

Boolit Mold
    I use my tig gloves when casting very flexible as far as leather gloves go.

Glove on the right hand but not the left. I open the sprue plate with my hand.

Boolit Master

YES, gloves and glasses....amen!
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Man
    I wear very thin leather gloves, but most of my casting is done on a master caster now. So my biggest risk of getting burnt is when returning the sprues.
    As for wearing glasses, Mother Nature took care of that since I now have to wear glasses/bifocals all the time now.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wilecoyote View Post
    the two hands are often engaged in different simultaneous activities when smelting-casting, and I often find myself using a more protective heavy welder's glove on one hand, and a lighter one on the other. initially it started because I had lost one of the same gloves, then I noticed that it can be a good compromise between manual agility and protection
    I’ve done this as well: a light glove for spatter protection on the hand that only holds the mold handles, and a heavier glove on the hand that does everything else, which includes touching recently dumped casts while inspecting for and culling rejects.

I need new gloves though, and it’d be nice to make do with just a single pair. Are those TIG welding gloves thick enough to (very briefly) handle just cast bullets?

Quote Originally Posted by kevin c View Post
    I’ve done this as well: a light glove for spatter protection on the hand that only holds the mold handles, and a heavier glove on the hand that does everything else, which includes touching recently dumped casts while inspecting for and culling rejects.

I need new gloves though, and it’d be nice to make do with just a single pair. Are those TIG welding gloves thick enough to (very briefly) handle just cast bullets?
    I have them, also_ TIG thin-leather gloves, they are intended mainly to protect the skin against radiations and to keep in hand the fine steel rod, but for collect some hot bullet from the floor they're ok_
    for light & fast duty they work fine.
    also misurp nomex flight gloves are ok for the same task, because they have fine leather on the inner side, palm&fingers, over a light fireproof glove_
    welder's gauntlets for other very hot/hazardous/extended time things are a must, anyway, in my book_
    next step a pair of pliers, o.c._
    btw, I've found interesting tools, as x-long-heavy-duty steel tweezers, etc., rummaging around home-kitchen-cooking shops_
    Last edited by wilecoyote; 01-02-2024 at 01:03 AM.
    Food is overrated. A nice rifle is way more important.
    Rob

I wear full cover when alloying with a 100# cast iron pot. I turn the propane burner up to alloy arsnic and antimony, about 1,200 degrees. For the electric bottom pour pot, a Pro Melt, I wear one leather glove to hold the mould handles. I use a leather mallet to cut the sprue. Normally cast with four iron moulds at once and a 5gal bucket of water, with peanuts on top of the water to prevent splash. At all times I wear eye protection.

In 60+ years have had two events, early on, a sprue pour back in a 10# pot that got a live primer in the sprue box, somehow, and a hollow battery terminal with ice in it, that I did not see upon inspection dropped into a 100# pot of molten alloy, that vaporized instantly. Both events were not plesant. The ice in the terminal dropped into a 100# pot decorated the trees, branches, brick on the house plus house's roof with shiny lead, got me a GI haircut and splattered both lenses in my glasses with large, thumb nail size splatter, lead never came out of my jacket material or levies. The explosion was at high velocity. Never would have believed that molten lead could cover that much area. Lessons self taught, lessons learned the hard way. Last time for battery anything near my alloy.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master
    I wear those white leather unlined gloves.

Boolit Buddy
    Glove on the right hand but not the left. I open the sprue plate with my hand. No mold knocker or smoked molds. My molds are all de burred and the boolets fall freely when the mold is opened.

I wear welder’s gloves with a cuff, and a long sleeve shirt
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Master

Gloves both hands. Leather gloves bought at Costco, seems like I remember 3 pair for $20 - yes, some time ago!
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Master
    Welding glove on my right hand, nothing on my left. I use my hand to open most 1cav and 2cav molds. Use a hardwood club on 4-6 cavity molds, except for the Lees which have the sprue handle.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Glasses but no gloves for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Mold
    I wear gloves for protection and because I open the spare plate with my right hand.

Boolit Mold
    I just wear 1 glove on right. I like to feel the mold close with a ungloved hand. Glad to see a bunch of others that only use 1.

Boolit Master
    Leather work gloves for me.

My MP 8-cavity WC mold has one cavity that sticks.

Fastest way to get the bullet to drop is to push it out with my thumb.

Smelting is with welders gloves from an estate sale.

God bless the old gentleman. I picked some cool goodies from his shed.

I wear glasses but when casting boolits no gloves.
    Between my dog and my metal working I get a lot of lacerations, a few burns here and there don't make a lot of difference, you tend to get used to it.
    It is a bit irritating to pick off those little silvery spots off your skin if something splashes.

Boolit Buddy
    I wear gloves casting. I've had two incidents and the gloves didnt matter either time. One time I was smelting down WW's on the side burner to my grill and...it got too heavy and tipped a whole pot of lead in the driveway. A second time, same grill same driveway and a sunny day good for casting, Yay! I was casting like mad with a ladle and decided to take a break for a few so I walked away from it and took of my gloves, and as soon as I turned around and looked at the grill, the pot of lead exploded into the driveway. A quick glance up confirmed it, one lone cloud dropped one drop into the pot! I'll keep my long sleeves and gloves thank you!

I use welders gloves when rendering WW to move the ingot mold around to fill it. Don't use any while casting, glasses though.

Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 131415161718192021222324 LastLast