1185. You may not vote on this poll
  • gloves

859 72.49%
  • no gloves

326 27.51%
Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324 LastLast

Thread: gloves or no gloves.

Boolit Master

Prefer what I call "farmers chore" gloves that are insulated and best if they've been worn a number of times. Never feel the heat of the handles or the inevitable small splashes that occur. The tools I keep handy all have wooden handles I've made that are large enough to be easily picked up with a gloved hand and the small "plastic" headed mallet never has to be laid down but then I bottom pour.
    Mike

Benefactor Member NRA
    Life Member Iowa Firearms Coalition
    US Army Vet

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation.
    One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams 1826

Banned
    You DON'T need thick gloves for protection from the lead. TIG gloves are very thin, they are designed to protect you from arc flash (the heat generated by welding and remain very flexable.
    I like a small leather mallet for tapping the old handles and moving the sprue plate

Just started casting in earnest yesterday. Been using the welding gloves I used for smelting. HATE 'em! Ordered some closer fitting leather gloves from Amazon a while back, but I'll be darned if I can find 'em.

Guess I should be looking for them now instead of typing on here.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by songdog53 View Post
    Gloves and eye wear and boots too cause hot lead = burns and some can be really bad. Rahter be pouring boolits than healing.
    +2 on gloves and eye protection

Can't believe this thread is still rolling along.

Casting without gloves and glasses is like riding a motorcycle without a helmet. Yeah, you look 'cool', but if something goes wrong, you're screwed.

Except no one thinks casting bullets looks cool, besides a few fellow casters. It sure ain't gonna get you laid.

Quote Originally Posted by rking22 View Post
    Total focus on the task at hand is the primary line of defense.
    I'll repost this as it goes with part of the post of rking22 & my other link is broken. I really enjoy this & call it 13 minutes with Jerry. Notice how he does things & listen to his warnings. Pure ole common sense will keep you from much trouble. I smelt & cast much like this only I standing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSgQ82Kqhzo

Boolit Grand Master

I voted no gloves. I'm not one to ignore using PPE. I cast with long pants, long sleeve shirt and safety glasses, but no gloves. I do wear gloves when adding lead to to the pot. I also wear gloves when smelting.
    Last edited by lightman; 11-21-2017 at 01:49 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Gloves are never necessary unless the unexpected happens. If one has time to think out everything beforehand, mistakes would be extremely rare. It's the off chance we encounter something unexpected that necessitates PPE. As long as we don't touch or allow anything hot to touch us, we are golden.
    I have always been a multi-tasker, and often don't have 100 % attention on the task at hand. I suspicion there are many more that will admit the same. A phone rings, a dog barks, a spouse or boss speaks, and for a brief moment, our attention is missing. That slight break in attention is more than enough time for disaster.
    Beyond that, it's just convenient to do some task like opening the sprue with your hand without fear of burns.
    No, gloves are less comfortable and less agile than bear hands, but severe burns are much worse and last a long time. We aren't dealing with uncomfortable warm, it's 700+ degrees and it penetrates deep. The wound it causes is apt to become infected and it hurts like he11.
    I know I'm preaching to the choir, but if all casters realize the need for gloves before the inevitable happens, I'm not just flapping my gums.
    No matter how safe you think you are, or how many years you've done it your way, It will inevitably happen to you and it will hurt more than your pride.
    I'm no Safety Sally, but good gloves are the least PPE I'd agree to.
    Last edited by mold maker; 11-21-2017 at 12:36 PM.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Should have a third option; sometimes

Boolit Master

I've gotten very used to opening the sprue plate with my hand since I started using sprue plate lube. Afraid that if I tried casting without gloves I will grab the hot mold with my bare hand.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Minnesota, the state where absolutely nothing is allowed
    Didn't for many years, started hand opening, none of the clumsiness I assumed would occur(I'm using standard welding gloves) and I'm happier about not beating on my sprueplates.

Of the two pairs I ordered from Amazon, I really like the TIG gloves. They are much better fitting than welding gloves, which greatly increases dexterity, and I'm able to pick up bullets or sprues with them. Well worth the 12 bucks.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Boolit Master

Same here. Opening sprue plate with hand is easier on the mold.

Quote Originally Posted by Hickory View Post
    No gloves=burns
    gloves=no burn
    easy choice.
    The perfect answer
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

I wear gloves for smelting and fluxing but, not when casting with a bottom pour.
    A deplorable that votes!

Boolit Master
    Well just so you all get your laugh for the day.
    I use to not wear gloves just ballcap and glasses.One night i was on a roll things were going realy well till they didnt.I didnt do anything i had not been doing .A sprue jumped out of the pan and landed on my right thigh.So woat do you do then weill sure your grag it off your leg cuz it is burning lol.So then my figer are burning and i drop the thing right into my right shoe.by this time i am moveing like the speed of your fave varment round.Useing my favorite 4 letter word lol.
    From then on it is Gloves.HiTop Work boots.glasses and ballcap.I can not afford to lose any more hair.
    Have a great weekend all Bob

Gloves and safety glasses anytime the casting machine/pot is on.

Boolit Bub
    Used to cast without gloves or any other protection as a matter of fact.Just wearing my regular glasses.Then it happened.Don't ask me how I still am looking for what or why;a drop of water or was it some humidity into my lead ingot I had just dropped in the pot.All I remember,a loud POP like you'd have fired a .22 from a revolver.The pot was empty;I had lead on my cap,on my glasses,on my shirt and everywhere on the wall.All 10#of it had sprayed everywhere exept on my hands or in my face.Like I said,my glasses had some in them;I was mighty lucky.
    Now I wear welding gloves,face shield and I button up my shirt.You won't catch me casting or smelting dressed only with a T shirt!

Boolit Man
    Used welders gloves when I 1st stared, but quickly switched just a pair of pair of leather work gloves I picked up at home depot for doing yard work. Work well enough to remove the sprew and dump it back in the pot. Wear my regular everyday glasses, long sleeves and sometimes a baseball cap if I remember

I do a lot of cooking an never wear any type of protection from oil splatter...sure it stings when it happens, but it's not life altering. I cast for 3 hours the other day and burnt the hell out of my hand..but not from casting...it was removing a pot pie from the microwave **** gravy was leaking from the side and did way more damage than stray lead droplets caused from dropping the sprew back in the pot.

Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324 LastLast