• gloves

859 72.49%
  • no gloves

326 27.51%
Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718192021222324 LastLast

Thread: gloves or no gloves.

Boolit Man

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Worst burn I ever got was when I was learning electronics. I dropped the soldering iron and instinct said catch it so I did. 5 seconds later I dropped it again as the pain registered, I had caught it by the tip. Since then drop it and I push back away and let it fall
    Been there, done that... worst burn I ever had!

Welding Gloves, glasses, welding coat, steel toed leather boots, and hat (no hair on head) I had a 225107 bounce into my boot the other night, thankfully my thicker sock kept me from getting burned. Now a make certain pant cuffs are over boot tops.

Banned
    lead is a skin absorbing poison, so I wear gloves even while sizing or inspecting

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by beefie View Post
    lead is a skin absorbing poison, so I wear gloves even while sizing or inspecting
    huh? no... no its not. lead can be taken in via breathing or ingestion. it does not absorb threw your skin.

-matt

Moderator Emeritus

Matt is correct, it must be ingested. Contact does nothing. It is also cumulative in nature taking repeated ingestion "exposures" to accumulate to a dangerous level.
    Give us this day our daily lead.

Sic Semper Tyrannis.

If you don't want 1984 you're going to need some 1776.
    WWGWD

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Metallic lead can not be absorbed thru your skin, but there are some lead compounds that can be. But they usually aren't present when casting or handling cast bullets.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

I bought a set of good leather gloves @ Walmart.

Harbor Freight has comparable leather gloves for a couple of $$ less.

Wear 'em! You will only be issued one set of hands soldier!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by beefie View Post
    Wrong.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Wrong.
    Happened on two of these tonight.....anymore erroneous posts from him hanging around?
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bzcraig View Post
    Happened on two of these tonight.....anymore erroneous posts from him hanging around?
    It seems so.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    I too was told lead is absorbed through skin especially if it is weathered and you have sweaty hands, evidently the acid in sweat helps it along. I tend to have more faith in the opinions displayed here, but I will still wear gloves while handling it, and wash hands after.

If lead could poison through your hands I would have been dead long ago. All our hand cast stuff is inspected bullet by bullet, pound after pound, ton after ton using my bare hands to turn & roll them. After 40 years my blood level holds steady at 3.

Boolit Grand Master

Many of us have small vocational abrasions and cuts on our hands. Lead oxide CAN be absorbed through them.
    We are more worried about the temperature of the lead and the tools we are using, than the chance of lead poison through our skin. Burns caused by the temperatures we deal with are serious. Infection is likely, and gloves prevent, or at least lessen the problem. It's like carrying fire ins on your home. No one plans to have a fire, or get burned by molten lead.

glove on the right hand, not on the left hand that holds the mold handles. Pot is bottom pour RCBS. I have to hammer the Mihec 4c mould open with a maple block, the LBT and Lee molds I open with the gloved hand. Hot lead looks just like cold lead. When smelting wheel weights or lino I have the big red welder's gloves on both hands. A two quart pot of molten lead puts the fear in me. It's a good idea to wear slip on leather shoes that you can get off quickly....I learned that from doing built up roofing. Ever see a man do the "Hot Shoe Shuffle"? It's entertaining...if you are the onlooker.

Boolit Grand Master

After 35 years in the tool and die trade ive seen more incidents injuries than I care to. Gloves can save your a** or break it. When operating a machine with spidles or spinning goves can be grabbed removing fingers and doing alot of damage. But they can protect from burns and heat. also are great protection from sharp edges. I learned early on in a small Job shop to wear what was appropriate to the job. 35 years later I still have all my fingers and toes. You havent lived till youve picked up a co workers fingers of the floor and put them on ice hoping they csan be reattached, its happens not as often as people think but always worth the try. I saw a furnace Blow with 40,000 lbs of molten mish metal in it when scrap was being added. 3 were hospitalized one for almost 2 weeks. Moltenmetal is dangerous be safe and be prepared. Be surprised when the worst dosnt happen.

Boolit Master
    I Do and I don't.
    Maybe rigger gloves when casting but welding gloves I have no feel.
    I usually use a glove on my left hand for playing with the ladle cutting sprue with glove or stick etc.
    Right holds the mould.

I cast mostly sitting down as I can't stand for long peroids of time mostly.

I cast in bear feet, shorts and t shirt but where glasses. and have a fan blowing the fumes away outside.

It's hot and tropical here.

I use acww but if I do water quelch then the container has a cloth over the top with a long slit so the bullet will roll down into the water and no splashes.

I have no issues with my method.

I take my time and work in a smooth rhyme flow.

I use gloves n boots while handling my large pot for ingot pours thou ..up hill pouring down...Its a weight ..tilt..pour balance thing then.

If I stuff up then its my fault.
    But I don't see the hazards with my procedure in doing things the way I'm doing them.

How does the tinsel fairy visit if I'm not putting water in to a molten pot of lead?????
    Or splash up if the over run is near the melt etc???
    Or a bullet hit the ground if they are dropped into a soft cloth in a container.???

Boolit Master

Lead oxide, the white powdery stuff on old lead, can be absorbed into your pores. Fresh cast bullets, not really. I wear Ove' gloves while smelting and casting. Keep the heat off but still leave you with some feeling in your fingers, better than stiff leather gloves on both counts. Try them for 15 bucks, what have you got to lose(except some burnt skin)?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-OVE-GLOVE-...item33830098aa

Boolit Grand Master

Oooh to be young and bulletproof, thinking I'm immune to the dangers discussed so often.
    If your positively sure those of us, who insist on gloves and full cover, , are full of beans, go ahead and cast and smelt naked. It's you who will feel the pain and endure the scars.
    If on the other hand you value an old f^'t's advice, cover up or stay away from it. Sooner or later you'll screw up and It'll happen to you also.

I'm speaking to all and not pointing fingers at anyone.

This thread has went on now for 18 pages. Guess I've read each post. I'm one who only uses a glove on my right hand. I cast standing & see no need for an apron or head gear. I do wear glasses. I cast in short sleeves mostly, long trousers & tennis shoes. I've done this for 40 years beginning 1973. Very few burns have I suffered & those were mostly gee that hurt. Maybe one or so second degree burns. Looking back over the years I see no reason to change my style. I will say if you are just starting or you're not comfortable with your equipment you probably can't wear too much gear. But others, to whom casting is as natural as stepping on a brake pedal, can pretty much figure what they need.

Here's a link I really enjoy. It's about 12 minutes long. Notice how he does things & listen to his warnings. Pure ole common sense will keep you from much trouble.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSgQ8...R8nyq4CklC3Y80

Boolit Master
    I use a welding glove on my left hand to cut and catch the sprue , with a thinner leather work glove on my right hand . Glasses also because I can't see anymore .

Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718192021222324 LastLast