Voters
1185. You may not vote on this poll
  • gloves

859 72.49%
  • no gloves

326 27.51%
Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: gloves or no gloves.

I've worn a glove on my right hand from very early on for opening sprue plates. I found when using double or triple cavity moulds I was much faster using my hand than picking up a stick or wooden mallet, just saved a second or two per cast.
    About 4 years ago I was making ingots from wheel weights in late July. It being hot I was in a pair of shorts, me being a hillbilly I was barefoot. Got towards the bottom of the 5 gallon bucket and didn't notice the tinsel fairy was wating in the bottom. The pot was about half full and over half of that went airborne. I turned my head and shut my eyes out of reflex, when I opened my eyes I couldn't see out of my left one, the lead had covered my goggles over that eye. I walked far away from the pot before I took the goggles off. By now I'd saw the 3rd degree burns on my left thigh just above the knee. The lead had also gotten on my foot and after seeing how bad my goggles looked I was almost afraid to look at my head in the mirror. The head didn't look too bad, hurt like crazt since I keep it shaved. Had splatter in my goatee, but it didn't burn the skin. Feet scared me real bad since I've been diabetic for the last 6 years, but that and the leg healed fine. The leg is the only place that still has scars but they'll probably fade in a few more years. Oddly enough I took a pocket knife and scraped the lead off my googles and finished my ingots.
    Since then I always wear shoes, pants, a long sleeve shirt, both gloves and a face shield. There's a chance my burns wouldn't heal as nicely next time, so I've tried to keep from getting any more.

I always wear gloves, usually the thin leather work type gloves, apron and safety glasses. I use heavy gauntlet type welding gloves when smelting.
    Founder/Administrator
    www.MSGunOwners.com

Banned

No gloves and Ive got the scars to prove it.

Boolit Buddy

I open sprue plates by hand, so a glove is required. But... I would have them on, anyway.

Long sleeves, pants, welders' gloves, boots, glasses, and a hat.
    Proud winner of February 2012's "Ugliest Gun" contest.

i would suggest it. i hate the feel of the gloves hindering me, but i did have a small drop of molten lead that did sear my skin on my left hand. its a noticeable scar.
    my feedback. ive done a few more but never get feedback.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...hlight=beex215

Boolit Buddy
    I highly recommend proper gloves. If you burn both hands badly enough you better have a very good friend to help with your morning constitutionals!

Boolit Grand Master

Welders gloves, leather apron, long sleeve shirt, non-synthetic boots and a face shield. I also wear a respirator if the smelting pot is smoking bad. Learned my lesson while brazing a line set in about synthetic footwear. The ball of braze that fell off melted it's way through the nylon and charred my wool socks. It should have never gotten that far. Since then I don't mess around with synthetic fibers and molten metals.

Brought to you by TapaTalk.

With nothing more than you tube as a gauge , I would posit another thread might be "Shoes or no shoes ?"

Medium weight leather gloves. Cut sprue with hand, catch sprue with hand and drop gently back into the pot..
    Sent from my computer using my fingers.

Boolit Buddy
    No gloves. I'm amazed at how many people open their sprue plates by hand. I just use a hard plastic hammer/mallet to gently tap the sprue plate open, then tap it back into position after closing the mold. No, it's not "beating on" it.

I'll get the occasional small lead burn on my arm, but I find that not having bulky gloves allows me to work more accurately. The gloves can be bulky and fine hand/finger control is diminished.

In other words, I am more wary of dropping something due to loss of "feel" while wearing gloves and having a BIG splash of hot molten lead than the occasional small "sizzle".

Emrah

Boolit Buddy

Gloves, I'm right handed and have a nasty scar on the back of my left big finger where a 6 cavity Lyman sprue plate burned the bejesus out of me.

Boolit Buddy
    heavy cotton inspection gloves, welder's apron, hat, glasses, long pants, long sleeves, roper boots for casting....

big heavy welding gloves and above for smelting....outside of course...

i used to have asbestos hands....

ww
    Solvang Shootist
    SASS 60905-Life
    Frontier Cartridge Black Powder Shooter

Boolit Master
    Gauntleted welders gloves for smelting and casting. I'm a ladle guy and need the gloves. AND always wear gloves when handling "ore" and sorting lead and WWs and handling lots of ingots. 10
    10 gauge: as per Robert Ruark, "use enough gun"

MOLON LABE

"I have a list, and am prepared for widespread civil disorder!" 10 ga

Boolit Master

PPE is a must & I do for smelting & filling the pot ,but the actual act of casting I`m bare handed but do wear glasses , long pants & shoes, especially while sitting.

Been thinkin of an apron .
    GP100man

Boolit Mold
    Gloves and eye protection always!

Boolit Master
    Always have gloves on eye glasses and long sleeve shirt on no brainer lead is hot and sticky!

Boolit Buddy
    I like the Ove Glove. Gives a lot of heat protection with very good dexterity.

Boolit Master
    gauntlet type stick welders gloves, all cotton clothing-long sleeves, no shorts, leather work boots and face shield (one with sweat band!). I wore sneakers once-was that ever a mistake! Still have scar on top of foot! Burned right through. Need another welding apron-old one is shot. Safety equipment is cheap compared to trip to hospital and Dr. bills.
    SMOKELESS IS JUST A PASSING FAD!-STEVE GARBE

FORMER NJ HUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR
    GOA LIFE MEMBER
    SASS LIFE MEMBER

ADAPT, IMPROVISE, OVERCOME!
    "ANY MAN WHO THINKS HE CAN BE HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS BY LETTING THE GOVERNMENT TAKE CARE OF HIM, BETTER TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT THE AMERICAN INDIAN!"-HENRY FORD

Buy a pair of slip on cowboy boots at a garage sale or goodwill/thrift store.
    Don't worry if they are too big. You don't run a marathon while you're casting....

Quote Originally Posted by Fire_stick View Post
    Gloves for me.
    And after reading bearcove's post I am replacing my lace-up steel toes with slip on steel toe boots!
    I was really looking for an excuse...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TC2xTCb_GU

Have you ever heard of an anchor holding SLOW ?
    As far as some of us on this forum, we don't bite; We shoot !
    To see my images at imgur.com
    sign in as BOOLITCASTER
    password - 123456789

Boolit Bub
    Welders gloves all the way!!!! My skin is not match for molten lead, guess I'm just a sissy!!