1185. You may not vote on this poll
  • gloves

859 72.49%
  • no gloves

326 27.51%
Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: gloves or no gloves.

Boolit Master
    No gloves, no shirt, shorts and flip flops; no glasses. Just kidding. I wear a heavy long shirt with jeans, an apron, glasses, rubber boots and GLOVES on both hands and a hat of some sort. Safety was drilled into me by the USMC so it's better not to buck the system. I don't want a visit by the tinsel fairy. Like someone stated previously, I'd rather be casting than healing. BC
    Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father but by me."

Boolit Master

wow! I voted before I read the thread. I wear gloves. Then I read the thread.

Burns? really? I've never been burned (though a couple near-misses, I admit.)

I wear nitrile gloves. It;s for cleanliness and comtamination. I don't want to handle lead, bullets, brass (fingerprints) powder, or any of that and get dirty if I can help it! What if I have to run in and help wife with the baby?

I always wear long leather gloves up to my arms over my long sleeve denim shirt. I wear a baseball cap with the brim backwards so my full face shield strap can fit snugly onto the cap. Safety glasses underneath the face shield. Apron over my jeans and old used combat boots laced to the top. Haven't been splattered or burn yet but there is always a chance so I try to minimize that chance as much to zero.

Boolit Master
    Maybe related, I installed a water heater last week, had to change
    the length of the copper tubes. After soldering I reached up for something
    and barely touched one of the tubes with my arm. Didn't feel like much but
    a couple days later the skin came off, about an inch long. Healing up now.
    This was very brief exposure to medium heat, lead is really hot and can stick to ya.

(I installed the old heater 19 years ago, Reliance brand, now they're made in Mexico
    but I bought another one. We'll see how it holds up.)

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LUCKYDAWG13 View Post
    Burns suck gloves 100%
    eye wear too
    I use gloves, but a hot sprue dropping into a glove cuff can get interesting real fast, don't ask how I know.

Banned
    I probably should but I don't. Maybe the day will come when I wished I did ? LOL

Boolit Master
    one glove only
    can i vote again for the other hand?

I have gloves I keep there but don't put them on until I'm putting lead back in the pot. For casting boolits I usually don't wear the gloves.

I just found some new gloves.. lightly insulated, so I can still feel what I am doing, yet the insulation does not let me hang on to hot stuff for long.. it is adequate time to pick up the sprues, and return them to the melt..
    It provides enough protection for the little splashes that may happen when using my bottom pour pot..

For smelting,... welding gauntlets, long sleeve shirt... safety glasses, hat... ...... ....
    I do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same

As a new caster, I'm on the fence about gloves. I've got a good pair of leather work gloves for when fixing fence, but I've only worn them twice while casting. I noticed that I was taking far more chances around hot surfaces when I was gloved.

My fear is that I'll get used to doing certain things gloved, and then the muscle memory will kick in one day when I don't have them.

What I can't get in the habit of is wearing glasses...

Boolit Master

We need another poll: How many have been seriously burned while casting without gloves?

I usually don't wear gloves for casting. Sure, I've had minor burns over the years, but if I have things set up right and am not being careless I don't. I actually think eye protection is more important, as an eye injury is a lot more serious than a minor burn on a hand.

In Remebrance

Quote Originally Posted by Danderdude View Post
    As a new caster, I'm on the fence about gloves. I've got a good pair of leather work gloves for when fixing fence, but I've only worn them twice while casting. I noticed that I was taking far more chances around hot surfaces when I was gloved.

My fear is that I'll get used to doing certain things gloved, and then the muscle memory will kick in one day when I don't have them.

What I can't get in the habit of is wearing glasses...
    Don't feel like the Lone Ranger bud. I can't get used to the glasses or the gloves.

Boolit Master
    Another guy, probably a rookie casting without a NASA space suit. The barbarian probably loves beating his molds with a stick too.
    Lotta people die in bed: Dangerous place to be!

Boolit Master

These are soft, heat proof and have enhanced gripping capability. Why wouldn't you use them? I have used them for the last 6 years since I started casting and find nothing bad about them. YOu can buy them at Wal-Mart or Orchard Supply most of the time, or just buy them online.
    Last edited by Springfield; 08-08-2012 at 11:11 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Their your only hands and eyes. Taking chances with 700 degree lead is lkie playing with a loaded gun.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fatelk View Post
    We need another poll: How many have been seriously burned while casting without gloves?

I usually don't wear gloves for casting. Sure, I've had minor burns over the years, but if I have things set up right and am not being careless I don't. I actually think eye protection is more important, as an eye injury is a lot more serious than a minor burn on a hand.
    The idea from them is that they are being less barbaric and they actually know more than folks who use a stick to open the sprue plate. I have seen guys do it with their hand on youtube. To be honest it looks like a Charlie Foxtrot to me. But hey, to each his own. Completely agree about the glasses or safety spectacles. Got worse burns working as a cook in a diner than from casting and to me tinsel fairy is a word about as overused as green energy or granite counter tops these days. It gives me a knee jerk gag when I hear it. Just don't let live primers, jacketed bullets and wet ingots into the pot.

I was rendering outside recently and a storm came in unexpectedly and it rained right on the molten lead and there was no explosions or craters or anything like that.

Safety should be a primary goal, but things get taken out of context and that is what is being done here. If you want to wear gloves that is fine with me, just don't get on your high horse. Let bygones be bygones.
    Last edited by Suo Gan; 01-26-2012 at 07:20 PM.
    Lotta people die in bed: Dangerous place to be!

In Remebrance

Quote Originally Posted by Suo Gan View Post
    Another guy, probably a rookie casting without a NASA space suit. The barbarian probably loves beating his molds with a stick too.
    HAR! 95 out of 100 here and 100% elewhere probably don't know who that is! The barbarian is using a ladle too! What a maroon!

Boolit Master

Suo Gan,

The RAIN put the water on TOP of the MOLTEN LEAD, if you would have tried to stir it and YOU get the water BELOW the surface of the lead, you just might have located a MAJOR TINSEL FAIRY EXPLOSION.

Boolit Master
    Seriously Gents, I don't get this about debating a safety issue. You wear gloves and eye protection and you practice safety.

What more about being an adult is there to say on this issue.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207 View Post
    HAR! 95 out of 100 here and 100% elewhere probably don't know who that is!
    Uh, Elmer Keith?
    Brian Keith?
    Elmer Gantry?

Aww, I give up...

Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast