MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee Precision
WidenersLoad DataReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Repackbox

Thread: Marlin in 35 Rem

Boolit Buddy

Marlin in 35 Rem

I'm sure this will open up many old debates, but I'm going to ask it anyway. Simple question first.

1) What SN/year of manufacture did Marlin start putting Microgroove barrels on their 35 Rem?

2) Is it worth seeking out a non Microgroove 35 Rem to shoot Pb out of? I have no aversion to a used one, but a new one would be easier to find.

Targets include paper, whitetails, maybe some pigs or mulies if you all will stop doing group buys long enough for me to save some money. I'd be using boolits such as the current .360 GBs.

Thanks,
    Josh

Boolit Grand Master
    Maybe this will be of some help to you. " Buckshot " gave me this
    a few months ago, I think you need to send " Buckshot " a PM,
    he can answer any question that you'd have related to this matter.

Best,

Ben

MARLIN Manufacturing DATE CODE.

(22 caliber bolt action & semi-autos were not serial numbered prior to 1969)
    Firearm serial numbers were date coded by a prefix within the s/n, as signified below.
    For example a Marlin model 39A with a serial number of N1255X would have been made in 1955
    while a 1894 in 44 magnum with a serial number of 2510509X, would have equated to 1975

LEVER ACTIONS
    1945 = C 1957 = R
    1946 = D 1958 = S
    1947 = E 1959 = T
    1948 = F 1960 = U
    1949 = G 1961 = V
    1950 = H 1962 = W
    1951 = J 1963 = Y
    1952 = K 1964 = Z
    1953 = L 1965 = AA
    1954 = M 1966 = AB
    1955 = N 1967 = AC
    1956 = P 1968 = AD

1968 = AD
    1970 = 70
    1971 = 71
    1972 = 72
    1973 = 73 & 27
    1974 = 26
    1975 = 25
    1976 = 24
    1977 = 23
    1978 = 22
    1979 = 21
    1980 = 20

1981 = 19
    1982 = 18
    1983 = 17
    1984 = 16
    1985 = 15
    1986 = 14
    1987 = 13
    1988 = 12
    1989 = 11
    1990 = 10
    1991 = 9
    1992 = 8

1993 = 7
    1994 = 6
    1995 = 5
    1996 = 4
    1997 = 3
    1998 = 2
    1999 = 1
    2000 = 0

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 0802 View Post
    I'm sure this will open up many old debates, but I'm going to ask it anyway. Simple question first.

1) What SN/year of manufacture did Marlin start putting Microgroove barrels on their 35 Rem?

2) Is it worth seeking out a non Microgroove 35 Rem to shoot Pb out of? I have no aversion to a used one, but a new one would be easier to find.

Targets include paper, whitetails, maybe some pigs or mulies if you all will stop doing group buys long enough for me to save some money. I'd be using boolits such as the current .360 GBs.

Thanks,
    Josh
    Marlin introduced the Micro-Groove barrels in 1956. My answer to your second question is... NO. I have Marlin's chambered in 35 Rem with both types of barrels, the Micro-Groove and Ballard, and there isn't any difference in performance with cast boolits. My actual preference is the Micro-Groove barrel and I see better accuracy and velocities from my late rifle (Micro-Groove) vs. my early rifle (Ballard).

I've done a considerable amount of CB work with the Marlin's in 35 Remington and the only considerations as far as I'm concerned is the short throat of the rifles and the short case neck of the cartridge. Care must be given, if you want maximum performance for big game hunting, on selecting a boolit that fits within the confines of the throat and that doesn't extend beyond the case neck down into the case robbing it of much needed powder capacity.
    Michael

Boolit Buddy
    That Marlins won't shoot cast is a myth. They are certainly more difficult to find a load for but they will shoot very well with cast. You might look at some of the old Handloading Annuals as this has been a popular topic over the years. It would surprise me if there weren't alot of posts here about it as well.

My son's 1894 in .357 was out this weekend with a new cast load. Frankly, it stunk-3" or more at 25 yards from a rest! But then guns have preferences and I need to keep working with it. With ammo it likes it shoots as good as it does with jacketed.

I have a .30-30 336 that will shoot Saeco 180 fn's ahead of a particular load of H335 into little clusters, dang near an inch for 5 shots, on a regular basis. Got lucky with that one as it was the first load I tried.....never have tried anything else, didn't see the need!

I have a 336A in .35 Remington with micro groove rifling that shoots very well with the RCBS 200 grainer and the Saeco 352, 245. It will easily do under two inches without any particular effort on my part in either preparing the loads or in shooting them.

Ranch Dog, why the tumble lube design on all your bullets? I had been looking at a heavier Lee as a light rifle bullet and a heavy .357 bullet and that 180 might just do the trick. Have you used it much in pistols?
    Last edited by Lawyerman; 01-09-2007 at 10:58 AM.

Like RanchDog, I have Marlin .35 Remingtons in both Microgroove and Ballard rifling. They both shoot cast just fine. The .35 Remington does a fine job on deer and hogs.
    Glen

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Shoot the largest diameter boolits you can load into the cases that will cycle from magazine into battery: General rule for all guns. If accuracy starts going south after a magazine full, then the lube has too much viscosity. In other words, shallower the grooves, the quicker you have to clean the bore, and the more you have to thin the lube to mimick a gun with taller lands. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by felix View Post
    Shoot the largest diameter boolits you can load into the cases that will cycle from magazine into battery: General rule for all guns. If accuracy starts going south after a magazine full, then the lube has too much viscosity. In other words, shallower the grooves, the quicker you have to clean the bore, and the more you have to thin the lube to mimick a gun with taller lands. ... felix
    Felix, I shoot FWFL. What do I use to "thin" FWFL? Thanks and regards, Woody
    Take a kid along

Woody, what does it contain now? ... felix
    felix

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by felix View Post
    Woody, what does it contain now? ... felix
    Well, let me see........2 Tablespoons mineral oil; 1 Tablespoon castor oil;
    some ivory soap prob'ly 3 or 4 ounces of beeswax and about a Tablespoon of Lanolin. Oh, and a teaspoon or so of Johnson's paste wax and a green crayola.
    Take a kid along

Add a teaspoon of Safflower oil, and re-test the lube. Continue, with only one teaspoon at a time. Not tablespoon! Safflower oil is more reliable than olive oil which will serve the same purpose, but only if you get a good lot. The idea is not to boost the effects of the castor oil in making the lube too slick. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Master

Thanks Felix. Regards, Woody
    Take a kid along

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks, that's the info I was looking for.

Ranch Dog -- what bullets have you had the most success with? I've been following the 35 cal tumble lube thread and it appears you had a GB design that was run before I came aboard here. Any info on that?

Thanks,
    Josh