RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLee Precision
Snyders JerkyLoad DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: hand carved bow, to treat the wood or not?

Banned

Bear oil was perfect for the Indians but Wally World seems to be out of it!
    They had to ride too far for Tru-Oil! Really, this stuff is great.

Boolit Master
    ....Resin flakes derived from the secretions of the lac beetle....

YUK!!! That sounds gross!!! I aint tuchin that stuff.
    I have another idea. How about I collect some pitch and melt it down with a little BLO?
    I used to melt down pitch and add bear grease to make a water proof boot dressing and that worked good.
    Plain old pitch seems more a natural wood dressing since it comes from wood. A little oil mixed with it should keep it from crystallizing.
    The straight oil of any kind bothers me in that from what answers I have gotten here I understand I dont want the wood to be wet. What difference if its wet from water or wet from oil? I dunno! The pitch seems like a good idea after all it worked for Noah.

Boolit Buddy
    Minwax Polyurethane makes a good finish for bows. It will water proof it, and makes a lasting finish. You can get it in a waterbase version also, and works very well on wood arrows, for a finish.

Boolit Grand Master

waksupi,

Why not Watco Danish Oil?

Are you serious about Bear oil? Like a furry creature, or Fred Bear bows?

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MtGun44 View Post
    waksupi,
    Bill
    Like the furry critter. If you don't keep them well oiled, they develop surface rust and their joints tend to seize up. If you keep them well lubricated, they tend to run a little faster. By the way, if you ever decide to oil a bear, it is considered in good form to be pretty well lubricated yourself.

Ain't that right Ellie Mae...
    Last edited by 7br; 05-02-2011 at 04:01 PM.
    7br aka Mark B.

On the internet, I am 6ft tall, good looking and can dance.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by MtGun44 View Post
    waksupi,

Why not Watco Danish Oil?

Bill
    Furry critter. Bow wood needs oils to remain supple. I like a full penetration if I can get it. I have seen osage orange bows so permeated as to be translucent. It is all I use on my sinew backed bow.
    If you want to put on Watco or Trueoil, thats fine, after you have something "IN" the wood. The surface treatments only somewhat block the transfer of moisture, but are not water proof. If I didn't have bear oil around, I could be perfectly happy with any vegetable oil.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    I had a Lemon wood longbow when I was a kid a friend restrung it for me backwards.
    When HE drew it back it split.
    I glued it back together with Elmer’s Wood glue after it dried I restrung it drew it back and the bow snapped in half jabbing long pieces of wood in my left hand.
    I spent years picking out all of the pieces.

Whatever you do PLEASE be careful.
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    Between answers posted here and some received through PM I have about an even split of exact opposite answers.
    Some are saying oil will ruin a wood bow and some are saying oil will preserve it.
    Maybe if we keep going and we can get a 60/40 split I will be able to choose but right now I am more confused than ever.

Boolit Grand Master

Dan, if you've ever examined an old military oil soaked stock it would be self explanatory.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by stubshaft View Post
    Dan, if you've ever examined an old military oil soaked stock it would be self explanatory.
    Remember that is after 90+ years of soaking. I'll go with Waksupi on this one. It is more important to keep the bow waterproof and supple now than to worry about what it will look like and function in 100 years.

Yes, soaking and full penetration of oil will have a minor impact on the bow's performance now, but this should be minor if it is of good wood with the proper grain structure.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12