Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingRepackboxTitan ReloadingWideners
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: how hot for ruger #1 45-70 cast

how hot for ruger #1 45-70 cast

well i loaded my ruger with those j words and nearly tore my shoulder off

now i want to shoot some of my cast lymans # 457125 520gr lead but i want to warm em up some.

so far all ive ever used these boolits in is a sharps or a hiwall with blackpowder and such smokeless that aproxamates the bp loads.

now i want to warm these boolits up in the ruger and experiment with leading and hunting accuracy. anybody having done so is welcome to share their experiences with boolits and the super strong ruger #1.

please weigh in with your experiences. both good and not so good....thanks...

Boolit Master
    I have done some work up in my #3. I have done all the way to full boogie-ohhhh myyy gaaaawwwwd what-the heck did he just shoot level. Trust me.....you will give up long before the guns does. I loaded six of the above mentioned rounds. Five sit in the butt cuff for 'just in case'. Number six was used to relocate my acromioclavicular joint some where out back of my scapula......

Longwood
    [QUOTE=bigted;1253954]well i loaded my ruger with those j words and nearly tore my shoulder off
    QUOTE]

I give up.
    I have been on this site for several months now and I still have no idea what j words are.
    How about a clue or maybe typing it out please.
    Thanks

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=Longwood;1253992]
    Quote Originally Posted by bigted View Post
    well i loaded my ruger with those j words and nearly tore my shoulder off
    QUOTE]

I give up.
    I have been on this site for several months now and I still have no idea what j words are.
    How about a clue or maybe typing it out please.
    Thanks
    That is code for jacketed bullets.
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Buddy
    Years ago (longer than I care to remember), I read some data that you could load 45-70 to within about 300 fps. (slower) than .458 with any given bullet weight for use in the Ruger single shots. However; cases are much thinner for 45-70 and will not last but a couple of shots.

even tho they arent clear over the top...the last load was 50gr of 3031 behind a rem 405gr 'JACKETED'bullet , sparked with a cci mag rifle primer , cased inside a full length sized remington case , shot in my ruger #1 rifle. this is very warm but i see that the lyman manual states that this load will and can be loaded behind a lyman 457125 boolit for around 1650fps [feet per second].

just wondered if someone has loaded this and what it shot like...and similiar loads?

sorry for the confusion...i havnt been bit with sarcastic remarks yet for mentioning jacketed bullets on a cast boolit site but didnt want to be singled out for it either. guess it dosnt make much sense huh?

thanks...

Ted

Boolit Grand Master
    A 500 plus gr bullet at 1650 will get hour attention, and fast.
    I would start with loads in the 1300 range and work up based upon what you willing to take in recoil.
    I have just gotten to a point where I prefer lighter bullet in 45-70 for less recoil. Pain is not fun.

Boolit Master
    A couple of years ago when I bought my Ruger #1, I tried to shoot 535gr Postells pretty fast, but I got leading once I got over 1350fps or so. Mine has a tight spot under the front sight that collects lead if you push plain base cast bullets too fast.

Chris.

Boolit Grand Master

Around 1600 fps and under is where the best accuracy will be with that PB'd cast bullet. Suggest working up to 1600 fps or so with that 500 gr bullet using H4895. I've done a lot of very heavy loading of the 45-70 in my Siamese mauser. The better cast bullets for above 1600 fps all have GCs on them. The best 500 gr bullet for such is the Lee C457-500-FN. In my Siamese Mauser I load it to 2150 fps with very good accuracy. That is 458 Win mag velocity BTW. I also push the 458483 GC'd 385 gr cast bullet to 2300 fps with RL7. That is 41 cal large bore caliber territory. The 300 gr RCBS 45-300-FC with GC also does quite well at 2400+ fps. All of these let you know you've pulled a trigger with the under 9 lb rifle. Shooting such loads off the bench is like going a round or two with George Fraser. Not bad sitting or standing though....for a few rounds anyways.....

Either the 400 gr GC'd or the 500 gr GC'd cast bullets cast soft at 1700 -1900 fps will do all you need done on this continant.

Larry Gibson

YEP !!! done it. loaded the 457125 up with 50gr of 3031 with a mag primer. touched these off and MY...it does get my attention. these babys really get the snot drippin...lol. too much for me and the lead deposites are quit obvious. i am not ready for another lead miner so will slow em down some...maybe a bunch...lol.

i have a rcbs 500gr gas check mould i think ill try next. this has a coal short enough to work thru a lever action so the capacity will be diminished....thank god...

will report when i do this one and hope that the rcbs mould being checked and water dropped will stop the leading.

more news later.

Boolit Master

Hot enought to make your fillings fall out

The Ruger NO 1 can be loaded up pretty hot. The 7.5 lb rifle can be brutal

really i thought that the felt recoil was just a smidge over that of the 45-120 with full 120gr of 2f behind this same boolit in an 8 lbs rifle. i may have just answered my leading question with that rifle too tho

id hunt with it but will not put up with the leading. this is a powerfull rifle that will be fun to carry and when i get the shot i wont be thinking about recoil anyway. i thought about the scope ring imprint on my eyebrow... but nope...didnt happen either

brutal is a good description tho....absolutly not a benchrester.

Ted

I have a gas check mould 490 gr or so which was for the .458 originally......well good judgement left at home I took my #3 and stoked it with my new mould and a heaping helping of H322.....3 rounds as all i could stand...........I still have 17 left...from 2002......
    Cast Round, Shoot Straight
    Take someone shooting

Boolit Buddy
    http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp
    Although they only go to 400 gr. in the modern rifle section, i'm sure they are a lil snappy.

Edit- I have loaded some 475 gr. LFN w/ 3031 up to 1250 fps from my Super 14 Contender and after 20 rds. was left w/ nothing but a lil twitch in my right arm and hand. Not too bad (wink-wink).
    Last edited by 475BH; 05-04-2011 at 12:07 AM.

Boolit Master

......Or consider getting a 458 Lott #1. They are a heavier rifle (barrel). You can load them as light as the 45-70, or go over the top if you would like.

Doug

Boolit Master

I have a #1 in .460 Weatherby Magnum, it was a .458 WM that I had rechambered. My jacketed load shoots a 500 gr. out at 2,600+ fps which can be stiff out of such a light gun and I certainly don't question the strength of the #1. I also have a load that shoot a 500 gr. lead gaschecked bullet at 1,400 fps which is much nicer.

Neal in AZ

Boolit Master
    I have had a number 1 but never hot loaded it but I also had one in 458 Win mag. I bought the 458 becasue the 45-70 with loads that went only 1400 fps with a 400 gr bullet were not fun to shoot from a bench. The 458 I could not get it to shoot. Knowing what I do today this was probably becasue of an over sized bore. Any whay the 458 was a heavier rifle than the 45-70 and I planed on shooting loads of around 1500 fps with a 400 gr bullet out of it. However, I never got any luck with it until I loaded a lee 500 gr GC up to 1800 fps. I then got good groups but it was no longer fun to shoot from a bench. So that rifle went too. about 20 years or so ago I shot a bull elk in the south end when it was going north and the bullet was a lyman 458125 and it was propelled with 65 gr of FFG black powder. I mean complet penetration from rump to chest so why do you need a hotter load?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NickSS View Post
    ...I mean complet penetration from rump to chest so why do you need a hotter load?...
    NickSS, Good question! I ask the same about other black powder cartridges.
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by bigted View Post

please weigh in with your experiences. both good and not so good....thanks...
    The rifle can stand heavier loads than you can.

Boolit Grand Master

That bullet in my #1 I ran up to 1850 fps before I gave out. SAome loaded to 1950 were tried and they shot all right but I couldn't stand the recoil.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast