Inline FabricationRotoMetals2RepackboxWideners
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Am I a dinosaur?

Boolit Mold

Am I a dinosaur?

While I own multiple presses, all are single stage.

Last edited by 4306; 06-01-2011 at 10:04 PM.

If you are, then so am I.
    You boys gonna draw them pistols or whistle Dixie

NRA ENDOWMENT MEMBER

"The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent fishing."
    ------Babylonian Proverb

Boolit Grand Master
    Same here.

Boolit Buddy Carolina Cast Bullets's Avatar
    Is there something wrong with single stage presses? I have not found any reason to go to a progressive.

I guess that makes me a dinosaur as well.

Jerry
    Carolina Cast Bullets
    Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional ! ! !

Boolit Master

and same here......

Boolit Buddy
    A star bullet lubrizer and no progressive??? It's the opposite to me. Takes a while to lube size bullets and no time to load the, that is of course unless I buy them. Why don't you pan lube so every thing is equally slow?

Boolit Buddy
    Please note the above was said sarcastically!

Boolit Master
    When it comes to being a dinosaur, I'm a proud one, and not just as it relates to reloading.

Boolit Master

Nope, not a Dinosaur

BUT, --------------------------------------------

You sure do need to go too "PAGE #3" here under "Reloading Equipment" and check out, then build and use the "Under Bench Receiver System".

Looks like you have a two sided bench, which really opens things up, but for most of us, the receiver system is the true, "Cat's Meow"!!

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Even though I have a Dillon 550 and a Lyman turret press, my two single stage RCBS presses see the most use. Not to mention, both those single stage presses wre hand-me-downs and hold a great deal of sentimental value. For me, reloading is as much about the enjoyment I get out of doing it as it is about supplying my guns with ammo to shoot.

Call me old fashioned, just don't call me old.

Boolit Master

Nothing at all wrong with single stage presses. I've loaded with one for over 50 years now and before that a tong tool.

It just depends on how much shooting and of what type you do. If it's IPSC or bullseye and you want a huge quantity of one type of ammunition, get a progressive.

If you fool around like I do and shoot 50 rounds of this and 50 rounds of that with all kinds of bullet designs, then the single stage is the way to go.

Guess i'm a dinysower too./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    I decommissioned and sold my progressive press and all the components that went with it when I retired. I used it simply to save time, never enjoyed or fully trusted it, never had a problem just didn't like it. I now use four single stage presses. I use balance beam scales and enjoy doing it all "my way".

Boolit Grand Master

I be one too! Reloading like this is like sipping a fine wine. Enjoying the subtlies. Creating custom crafted ammunition...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Le Loup Solitaire

Dinosaurs

Count me in. I often use three single stage presses in tandem; 3 dies in a row and move a case accordingly...a pull of 3 different handles and get a loaded round. Not really much different than a lot of other arrangements. Whatever works for you and what your needs are, do it. LLS

Boolit Master

It depends on how you view reloading, the detail you want to operate at, and the time you want to spend.

I am lazy and decline to keep re-inventing the wheel, so to speak by, screwing dies in and out, and constantly resetting powder measures. My eight presses have a total of fourth-one stations available, not including my progressive. One set of dies are permanently set for each rifle and left in-place. Two of my three powder measures use removable drop tubes, with each set for a particular load.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Boolit Master

I have 3 single stage presses. I have been ridiculed for not getting a progressive. I like it just the way I am doing it. One set up for rifle, one set up for pistol, and one set up for various other reloading duties.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Longwood
    Quote Originally Posted by EMC45 View Post
    I have 3 single stage presses. I have been ridiculed for not getting a progressive. I like it just the way I am doing it. One set up for rifle, one set up for pistol, and one set up for various other reloading duties.
    I have a little cheap Lee that I use for a powder stand but I also use it for other stuff like depriming with a universal depriming die before I clean the brass.
    I also have a Rockchucker that I have had for over 30 years, and a new Lee Load Master progressive.

If I were starting over from scratch, I would probably get a Rockchucker or Lees Classic press and three of the cheapest Lee presses and a powder stand. Form a production line. I would mount them on the wall to the left of my loading bench, on their own shelf which would only be about 8" wide and just long enough to mount the presses where they would be easy to use. Put the first station on the left end of the shelf then when you got to the end, you would be at the corner of your loading bench. Beautyus!
    Think of it, A loading bench with no presses and other junk mounted right in your way.
    Last edited by Longwood; 02-04-2012 at 07:41 PM.

Banned

Naw you are not a dinosaur.

But, what do you do, walk around the table from station to station? That is a lot of walking . I'd make a turn table with that many presses, It would allow you to sit in one spot and use the turn table like a turret press.

Gary

Boolit Master
    Naaaa, just get an under bench receiver system. Problem solve, no holes in the bench, no cut outs, no grooves, just a nice smooth bench top and tools handy to use as needed!

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deasry Ol'Coot

Boolit Master
    Nope you are not a Dino.
    I own 2 Dillons and 2 single stage and have no plans on giving up any of them.
    My best ammo is loaded on the single stage presses.
    The stuff I shoot a high volume of is done on the progressives.
    If I had more all my rifle ammo would be done single stage.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast