Load DataRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionWidenersRepackboxInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Easy way to check for SPPs in .45ACP

Boolit Buddy

Easy way to check for SPPs in .45ACP

Just thought I would post this for anyone else who gets frustrated with .45 ACP and SPPs. After crushing a few LPPs into SPP cases, I figured out how to make the press check primer size for me. This works on a loadmaster for sure, but I dont know about other types of presses. With loadmaster, put a decapping die in your first station, and adjust your primer seater so that it would be seating primers too deep. I use the method of using the size die to control how deep I set my primers, so I don't have to change the setting when switching calibers. This has the added benefit of trying to seat primers too deep without a size die. The brass gets deprimed first station, then at the 2nd station, if it is a LPP piece, the primer seating rod can fit inside the primer cavity. If it is a SPP piece, the primer seating rod will be stopped by the brass, and will cause a noticeably shorter stroke in the press, feeling like it is binding. The beauty of this, is it is an easy, mindless, repeatable, foolproof way to make sure you get all your SPP brass separated out. You can crank along quite quickly too if you have a case collator. I'd guess I did about 500 brass in 40 minutes. Hope this helps someone else out!

Boolit Master
    But if a LPP case goes through, what keeps the primer from being set too deep?

Boolit Master

Gswain,

That's ingenious. Thanks.

LUBEDUDE,

How can a primer be seated to deeply? No such thing as far as I can tell.

Welcome to the forum the both of ya by the way.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by LUBEDUDE View Post
    But if a LPP case goes through, what keeps the primer from being set too deep?
    You are not priming in this operation, I should have clarified that. the only purpose of running this operation is to deprime and check for SPPs. No primers inserted, no dies other than depriming die in use in the head. It is an extra step, but it makes sure no SPPs sneak in, plus you can crank away on it because you don't have to worry about flinging powder and seating bullets.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Catshooter View Post
    Gswain,

That's ingenious. Thanks.

LUBEDUDE,

How can a primer be seated to deeply? No such thing as far as I can tell.

Welcome to the forum the both of ya by the way.

Cat
    LOL !

Dummy Me!

I"m in revolver mode!

Sorry

If you every had to deal with that afer loading a few thousand too deep you would know what I mean.

Revolvers don't go bang.

Sorry again, I feel like such an idiot

Thank you for the welcome!

Boolit Master

Would work with a Dillon 650 also. Just put in the large primer seater, if it goes all the way forward you are cool. If'n it don't you know you got you a SP piece of brass.
    Good, Cheap, Fast: Pick two.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Master
    Great idea. But I sort my brass first, cull, tumble and then load.
    "It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees" Looking for an RCBS Ammomaster and H&R shotgun barrels regardless of condition

Boolit Master

Troyboy:

You could still use this method. It would give you the added benefit of depriming your brass (without sizing it) for you, so when you tumble it will clean out the primer pocket as well. Using this method you wouldn't have to visually check for primer size, which quite honestly when doing a bunch of brass, can be easy to let a small one slip by. I would use this method IF my press had a priming assembly on it, but neither my Lyman turret press, or my Lee C press have priming ability which is fine for me, as I normally prime with a hand primer.
    - MikeS

Want to checkout my feedback? It's here:
    http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/...d.php?t=136410