Titan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad Data
Lee Precision

Thread: NEF survivor in 45lc/410

NEF survivor in 45lc/410

I have a chance to get one for a nice price. I want to hear opions on them. The one thing I would do is may be drill and tap and put a cheap scope for and shoot noting but 45 lc

Garbear
    Garbear

Boolit Master

eh, idk, its probably too thin (the chamber) to D&T but you can always get other shotgun, ML, and 357 and 44mag barrels for it.
    Chris

Μολὼν λαβέ

"Si vis pacem para bellum"

Banned

It isn't drilled already?

If you aren't planning on shooting much .410 out of it, I'd say it's a waste of money unless it's an SB2 (rifle) receiver and you intend to ship it back to NEF and get it fitted for a .45 Colt barrel, and I think they discontinued those. I have a Classic Carbine in .45 Colt and I like it, but it sure has a long throat and won't shoot anything close to pistol-length ammo accurately. The long chamber of a .410 would probably be even worse. If you can get it for a good price, and it's a rifle receiver, you can have NEF put just about any barrel you want on it, including shotgun and muzzleloader.

Gear

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range onesonek's Avatar
    Generally speaking, as I have not shot the NEF, but have other's in the 45-410 chamber's.
    45 colt loads, don't shoot well due to the long jump in the 410 chamber. A scope won't help longer range accuracy either. At best, most are 25 yd guns, most won't shoot a basketball size group at 50. But there may be exceptions,,,I just wouldn't buy it with any longer range expectations
    Dave

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Arisaka99 View Post
    eh, idk, its probably too thin (the chamber) to D&T but you can always get other shotgun, ML, and 357 and 44mag barrels for it.
    There's almost 3/8" thickness where the scope base mounts on mine. The NEF website lists some info on what barrels are D/T'd and what kind of sights (if any) they have.

Gear

Boolit Master
    I have one of those barrels and have this to say about them. They are useless with 45 colts. The accuracy is poor beyound 15 yards and even at that range you get so much blowby as to make it shoot like pie plate groups. The only way I got decent accuracy out of it was to blow out 303 british brass and load them full length using a 45 colt die to neck size it. With that I got better accuracy. With the 410 shot shells it shoots good patterns as long as the choke tube is in. By the way you need to take out the choke tube to shoot ball. I have been thinking of either using it exclusively as a 410 shotgun or selling the barrel. I just have not made up my mind.

Boolit Master
    That is a kind of a novelty barrel. Chances are it is an sb1 frame. If It is a screaming deal than buy all means get it. If you like SS get it. The Handi is a great platform for custom calibers and such. You can make about whatever you want within the limits of the frame. You can never have to many.
    "It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees" Looking for an RCBS Ammomaster and H&R shotgun barrels regardless of condition