Inline FabricationRepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 9MM OAL for 356-120-TC

Boolit Grand Master

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Buddy
    At risk of revisiting ground well plowed, I’m trying my first attempt at reloading 9mm with the Lee 356-120 TC bullets that I traded for with a member here. I read every thread and sticky on this I could find, and ended up with a COAL of 1.076 that fed flawlessly in my 92S magazines, and does not appear to contact the threads. Bullets were .357-.358 and I ran them through the .358 sizer and tumble lubed with ALOX. I’m using Hornady dies (also bought from a member here), and crimped the bare minimum I needed to for them to drop into my 92S barrel. Loaded 3.4gr Bullseye, and am using Winchester small pistol primers. I unfortunately don’t have a bullet puller to check bullet diameter after crimping. I’ll check back in after I shoot these later in the week. Please PM me if there is something obvious I have missed for this first try.

Boolit Master
    Sounds like you have all the bases covered. Some like ALOX and some don't. Let us know how they shoot.

Boolit Buddy
    Some goodAttachment 221851 news, the load cycles the action of the 92S just fine and it appears all 25 rounds were accounted for at 10 yards. I was shooting by myself and lost every single case so I couldn’t check for pressure signs. Saved the rest to try again where I can capture the cases. The backer of my target was full of holes so I’m not sure if some of these are keyholes. More work needed.

Boolit Master
    I doubt you had any pressure signs with BE 3.4 gr. at your OAL. Does your barrel show signs of leading.....light streaks are normal. In my experience every 9MM barrel is a little different animal. Great start! Keep it up!

Boolit Buddy
    I have shot many thousands of rounds of this bullet. A lot of that over Bullseye. None using Alox though. Some Powder Coated, some traditional lube, some Ben's Liquid Lube. My absolute cleanest bores, hands down were lubed and sized through a Star with medium/soft lube and then two coats of BLL. The rest of the gun wasn't excessively dirty. But I got better accuracy with PC. YMMV.

3.4g is a good place to start- especially for function test. If you do a load workup, you'll likely find a sweet spot that will give you satisfactory groups. This is a favored 9mm bullet of many here for a reason.

I found Bullseye to be a good powder for it. HP-38/W-231 to also be a good powder.

Boolit Master
    I have a similar boolit that is an exact copy of the Lyman. Tom at Accurate makes it, the 358 120B. My very first mold was the Lee 356-120tc and it dropped undersized for me. Awesome operating mold otherwise with the sprue cutting handle and the ability to drop a ton of boolits. The Accurate mold is a 5 cavity and it drops 359-360. I seat the entire bearing surface in the case at 1.060 over 3 grains of red dot. That boolit feeds in every 9mm I own. Easy on the lead and powder reserves. I don't know about you guys, but I love the look of the TC boolit.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12