Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad DataRepackbox
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading Everything
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Keith" mould??

Boolit Grand Master
    One of the perk's of getting old, along with having fewer hairs to comb, is that you can remember whatever you want, however you want and still believe you are right.

Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    One of the perk's of getting old, along with having fewer hairs to comb, is that you can remember whatever you want, however you want and still believe you are right.
    I like that. Sounds like something Dennis Hopper would have said.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    Jeesh! I love this, never seen it before and have to wonder why.
    You can bet it's going to get used again, and again, and......

Russ
    When it comes to Muzzle Loaders, Black Powder Matters.

Boolit Master

interesting, I guess there is a break over point. I've never had to comb my eyebrows before now... I guess it's a 40's thing.

I even have hair growing off my ears, not out of, off...

No one ever warned me about that

Boolit Grand Master

Moonie, you are in for some more big surprises!

I have a Lyman 4 cavity that has the rounded lube groove, but the wide driving bands. Casts a great boolit that shoots very well.

I read once that Lyman changed the lube groove so the boolit would drop out of the mold easier. This it does.

Never have shot one with square lube groove so can't compare them.

looking at the pictures in the old Am. rifleman magazines the nose is long like my Lyman, not shorter and fatter like the current RCBS.

Visited Mr. Keith in late 1979, this was taken in the "cabin" actually a small house, alongside the residence, where he did his writing. I still have a few items from that visit...one is an H&G .44 Keith slug like the one from GLL's mould. He had a box of cast slugs sitting on the floor in a corner..I looked at them...we chatted about the design, etc.

He was the real deal for sure! I'm very happy I got to meet him.

FN in MT

Boolit Buddy
    I like that spear behind your right shoulder FN.

Quote Originally Posted by Von Dingo View Post
    I like that spear behind your right shoulder FN.
    IIRC... A masai spear. Imagine what that IVORY is worth today.

He had sme neat stuff sitting in every corner!

In the main house there was a high end, old British double in .470 Nitro in a corner!! I will never forget that. And on the mantle in the living room his carry M-29 with the steerhead grips. Sitting next to his American Handgunner Award.

Wish I would have taken more pics in the house...but didn't as it seemed impolite.

FN in MT

Boolit Master
    It's hard to believe that his son Ted is gotta be getting up in years by now!

Time knows no truce!!

Thanks for sharing that FN in MT!

Three 44s

Boolit Buddy

Yes indeed, thanks for sharing.
    For some reason that picture over Elmer's head stands out in my mind from years ago....must've been on a book or magazine cover, can't place it but it sure stands out.

When discussing Elmer Keith, with his many outstanding accomplishments with the handgun, it seems only right to reflect back on his preference for the big-bore, a debate that started long before Elmer and continues even today.

Rifle or Pistol, seems Elmer was always just a wee bit different than what conventional thinking was saying at the time, and that was the spice that kept his writings right up on top.
    May God rest his soul, he brought many enjoyable hours of reading to many of us.

Russ
    When it comes to Muzzle Loaders, Black Powder Matters.

Boolit Buddy
    For some reason or other I was thinking Masai on that spear. I was watching The Ghost and the Darkness today at lunch.

I hope to hunt in the thorns someday with Elmer, T.R., and a few others....

Notice the cigar in his hand...and the elephant tail hair bracelet on his wrist. Made from the tail hair on the first jumbo he tipped over. Talk about probably THE ONLY manly bracelet in the world!! LOL.

I visited in 1980 and when I arrived at the house I was maybe 3 minutes ahead of the scheduled time, maybe 7PM. Mrs. Keith answered the door and greeted us...then stated that Elmer was wrapped up watching the end of a TV show that he enjoyed... "The Incredible Hulk". Thought that was funny.

We talked at length about hunting Africa. REALLY got me worked up over hunting there. He mentioned that a plains game hunt was very doable and relatively cheap. Took me almost 20 more years but I did make it over to RSA and in no small part to his stories.

He was NOT a tall guy...but had a deep voice, and a firm handshake.

We visited in October, five months later I was at the big Kalispell Gun Show and there was Elmer with a crowd of people around him. He noticed me...walked through the crown and stuck out a hand. "Forgive me...I forget names...but Your the cop from Helena". And we shook hands. Talk about feeling like a million bucks!! Elmer Keith remembered me!! LOL.

We corresponded back and forth several times about an old Sharps rifle I had and how to paper patch slugs. Some great letters. He typed, yet NEVER used a carriage return...no paragraphs and no SPELL CHECK. Reading a letter was...interesting.

I have some photos of the house, some of his guns, etc. I need to find them, get them scanned and one day post the whole story.

FN in MT

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks for sharing. I have benefitted much from his work over the years. Saw him once
    in the 1980 NRA show in KC, but was too shy to approach him. He had his stroke just a
    few years (I forget) later, so I missed my one and only chance.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12