Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Wideners
Load DataRepackboxInline FabricationLee Precision
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky

Thread: Tell me something about the Lyman TruLine Jr

Boolit Bub

Tell me something about the Lyman TruLine Jr

I know the Tru-Line uses 310 tong tool dies and those were not carbide. Is the press a turret type and does it act as a semi progressive? Any and all opinions are welcome. Info too!

It is a 4 hole turret press that uses the 310 dies and the old Lyman J type shellholders. It is not a progressive press.

There were two versions that varied in the linkage. The older one had a single, straight link and the later a two piece compound linkage. The compound link version has more leverage..

They are smaller than normal presses. I find them nicely scaled to handgun cartridges and prefer them for that purpose. Even then I prefer to size/deprime with a 7/8x14 carbide die in a standard press and prime with a hand primer. I use the trueline for assembling ammo: expand / powder drop / seat / crimp.

You start to run out of room between the shellholder and the die plate with rifle cartridges any longer than 30-30 Win. I wouldn't consider using one for rifle cartridges longer than that.

-ktw

Boolit Grand Master

I found out that I can stick a plastic tube into the bottom of the shell holder and collect spent primers. Now I size/deprime on it too. I'm used to lubing cases, and my 32-20 and 44-40 need to be lubed anyway.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Grand Master
    +1 to Ken & Wayne. I have several, and at this time have one set up dedicated to loading for my several .32 S&W Long revolvers. Like Ken, I prefer to batch deprime and size with a TC die on a "full size" press and I go one step further with a hand held priming tool (an old Lee.) Then I move over to the little press to do the actual assembly of finished rounds.

BTW, I do load both .32-40 and .45-70 on my TL Jrs, but that really stretches their length capacity, and a little extra manipulation is required for the bullet seating step.

Froggie

Boolit Master
    I have several of the Tru Line Jr and have one converted to take 6 7/8x14 dies. With a TC die in it it makes reloading simple and easy.

Basic plan was to use it at the range as a load testing tool

Boolit Master
    I use the Tru-Line Jr for pistol cases as well, but I do load 222 cast on mine and some 243, but 243 is stretching it. I think KTW is to blame for getting me started using them. I pretty much size and deprime mine on a large press as well, and hand prime like every one else seems to do. That leaves 4 stations for expanding, powder throw, seating and crimping. Was lucky enough to get a few extra dies from some memebers to help with the separate seating and crimping. But it works well.

Now I need a set of 32-20 dies for mine.
    Lyman 22596,225107,225353,225438,225415,225450,225646, 225462,228367,244203,245496,245497,245498,245499 RCBS 22-55-SP,22-55-FP,243-95-SP,243-100-FP, NEI 100244GC-#14, 55 224 GC-#4,225 45-#3 PB, NOE 22-055 SP,MX2-243,Saeco 221 & 243, RD TLC225-50-RF,Lee 22 Bator 6c & 2c HP. Love casting small boolits, let me know if you have one that I don't that you would part with!

Boolit Master
    i have 2 that are set up for 38 spcl. one has a mounted powder measure. they are handy little presses, but in no way as fast or as easy to use as a lee semi-progressive. of the 6 mounted presses i own, i use them the least. they do come in handy if i have a friend working with.

Boolit Buddy
    http://www.jansa.com.au/simplex7.php

The Super Simplex Turret Press is exactly the same thing. Had one years ago. Neat little unit.

Banned
    Except the Simplex uses a 30tpi British standard thread. Lyman dies won't fit. Otherwise most of the Simplex tools appear to be near copies of Lyman stuff.
    Ken