Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Wideners
RepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $2

Boolit Grand Master

$2

Who says $2 won't buy anything anymore ? ?

I was at the thrift store yesterday, I picked up a nice little coffee pot. I plugged it up in the store to see if it worked, it got hot as rip and I mean fast ! !

I thought, Ummmmm........this would be about ideal for mixing bullet lube in. Just run a drop cord outside, plug it up and you're ready to go.

Tried it out today, it will " bubble " bullet lube and it doesn't take long for it to do it either.

Beeswax
    Black Moly grease
    White Lithium Grease
    Dextron II trans fluid
    Johnson's Paste Wax

Makes some fine bullet lube.

Pot has a convenient pouring spout which makes it easy to pour the liquid bullet lube into my lubri-sizer.

Ben

Last edited by Ben; 04-09-2008 at 06:28 PM.

Boolit Master
    Great idea, I may have to look for one. I've been using a microwave or hot plate. This looks better.

Cast Boolits Owner

Now that is a great idea. Once the lube is done, you just leave it there until you need it then re-heat it again.

R.
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Boolit Grand Master
    Once the lube is liquefied, you fill your lubri-sizer, then when the lube has cooled, you put the lid on to prevent any dust, etc. from getting to the lube.

Set it aside until you need more lube, plug it up.....so on ....& so on.......

My problem has always been fumes and odors in the house with any heating method I've tried. Wife goes CRAZY , the beauty of all this is that you can get outside with everything.

For $2, It seems to work just fine ! !

Maybe some of you need to head to the thrift store ? ?

Best to all of you ,

Ben

In Remembrance

Pleasant Valley, NV, 400 yd. N of Galena Creek
    It looks like an "Instant Hot Pot." I bought one about twenty years ago and used it for making Top Ramen at work. They weren't kidding abut the "Instant" claim.
    Eagles have talons, buzzards don't. The Second Amendment empowers us to be eagles. curmudgeon

Boolit Grand Master
    I was amazed in the store just how quick that thing got HOT !

Ben

Super Moderator

..............I used to frequent the thrift stores for old felt hats for punching out felt wads.

............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

That's a darn good idea Ben. I hope you believe that imitation is a form of flattery.

Boolit Grand Master
    fatnhappy:

No patents here on my end, you " go at it ."

Best,

Ben

I have gotten fur coats and wraps at thrift stores for tying flies.

Boolit Man
    My last two reloading benches were old SteelCase office desks from a thrift store. I like them; heavy enough to stay put and lots of drawers to store stuff, all for about 25 bucks. I'll have to find one of these old coffee pots.

Boolit Master
    get carried away and put a reostat inline and controll the temp...

mike in co
    only accurate rifles are interesting

In Remembrance

More of the 'high cost" of boolit casting.

gee my last two bucks only managed to find a real nice lube ermm i mean taylor candy thermometer and a cute lil pewter vase that says somethin about royal holland pewter on it ( umm soz $2.10 with tax for the pair lolz ) i keep hopin i'll stumble upon the right mold pre-warmer but i havent seen it yet ,good find amigo and a better use for it ! now i'll have to expand my searchin lolz

Boolit Master
    Flea markets and yard sales are good too, but you have to walk through a lot of junk to find the buys...
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    ...I was at the thrift store yesterday, I picked up a nice little coffee pot. ...Tried it out today, it will " bubble " bullet lube and it doesn't take long for it to do it either.
    The boy's a genius, I tell you.
    “If your only tool is a hammer, then all your problems start to look like people who need to be beaten with a hammer.”

Boolit Grand Master
    I use a hot plate from Wally World to preheat my moulds. Works great. Once I start with the casting, I put some ingots on the plate and turn it down a bit, to preheat them.

Banned
    I bought a TC labelled lyman mould handle BNIB today at a yard sale for $2 and the guy is going to call me when he finds the BNIB mould...that is for "MUSKETS that my brother had I think"...............SAWEEEET

$2 is a good price IMHO. ...I even tried to pay him $5 but he would not take it. I also got 2 barely used Berkley lightning rods for $5 apiece. I love being "FRUGAL"..although that is not what my wife calls my abilities to sniff out a find.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by fryboy View Post
    i keep hopin i'll stumble upon the right mold pre-warmer but i havent seen it yet ,good find amigo and a better use for it ! now i'll have to expand my searchin lolz
    I kept looking at the thrift stores for a mold pre-heater, too. It might offend the senses to buy new and pay full retail but I found a mold warmer that looks a lot like a one burner hot plate. Don't remember if I got it at Walgreen's or CSV but it was $10 or $11. It gets the mold to the perfect temp about half way between low and medium so there's plenty of reserve heat. First time I used it, I set it on high. It took about 2-3 minutes for my first pour to solidify. It sure cuts down on wrinkled rejects.

David

Boolit Grand Master
    My best yardsale find was a 20' long 3/8" log chain for five bucks; my dad and my best friend kept trying to swipe it out of my truck when I was home on leave.

Robert

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast