MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Repackbox

Thread: always ask

always ask

Picked up my truck form the dealr after some warranty service & oil change. I asked the serv manager if they did much tire work. Asked if I could have some ww. I got a box of about 10#, not a big score, but that's 10# I don;t have to take out of the berm. Always ask when ytou are at a car place. FWIW, telling them you are using it for your old antique muzzle loader is quaint & draws little fuss, at least out here.

Boolit Grand Master
    Nice score fredj
    like you say thats ten less pounds you have to berm
    anyway I often though of changing my line
    when they ask what I use the lead for instead of bullets (get some weird looks)
    like make sinkers or plumb bobs or something other that what I really want it for
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Quote Originally Posted by white eagle View Post
    Nice score fredj
    like you say thats ten less pounds you have to berm
    anyway I often though of changing my line
    when they ask what I use the lead for instead of bullets (get some weird looks)
    like make sinkers or plumb bobs or something other that what I really want it for
    Yep, fishing wts always gets a posetive response. The muzzle loader line works well even for some antigun types. Not an issue in many places, but out here, that can get you snubbed. 10# is 10#, not like my last 200# score just for asking.

Banned
    fredj338:
    Yep, fishing wts always gets a posetive response.
    But then they say they also like fishing, followed by, "Could you make a few weights for me?"

Boolit Grand Master
    sure
    see ya
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Longwood
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    fredj338:
    But then they say they also like fishing, followed by, "Could you make a few weights for me?"
    I had that happen one time and I asked him which type of sinkers he uses and when he told me, I said I did not have that type of molds but if he would get them, I would gladly cast him plenty of free sinkers. I have gone to the same shop several times since and he never did get the molds. He still gives me free wheel weights especially since I buy many of my tires from him.
    Don't buy your tires from Wally World and instead go to a small independent and you will usually get lots of free weights for the asking. You may have to make a return trip, but it is worth it. Always ask as you are making the tire purchase. Also don't bother with the mexican owned shops.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    fredj338:
    That's when you either buy a fishing weight mold or go buy some at Big 5.
    Anything to keep the source open...
    Ronald Reagan once said that the most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help".
    Download my alloy calculator here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=105952

Boolit Master

I tell very few that I'm casting boolits, instead i tell them I'm casting wheel weights for my garden tractor! And in a way it's true I have a couple hundred pounds "in storage" on the front wheels. But it's getting tougher every day to get a real score
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by bumpo628 View Post
    That's when you either buy a fishing weight mold or go buy some at Big 5.
    Anything to keep the source open...
    Good idea!

Boolit Master

On the other hand , I told a fellow I was loading for my 45 and he responded " Really? I just got a 9mm glock , shooting is a lot of fun ain't it ? I got to get my girlfriend a gun soon" I offered to help him load up some but he did not have time. He gave me some weights though.

Longwood
    I need two new tires.
    I plan on pricing them and while he is working it out, I will ask him if he has any toxic waste, such as wheel weights, he needs to get rid of. If he tells me some sort of nonsense, I will tell him. "OK, I guess will ask around to see if others have some before I make my purchase".

Boolit Buddy
    I have found it works good to tell tire shops to cast sinkers and duck weights. I have also found a few guys that do deep fishing and have dropped off some down rigger weights to the man in charge, it really goes a long way and you have to figure out what the person in charge has for interest. I have created relationships with these people in charge.

I like the idea of telling the store I will be using the lead for sinkers or even for muzzle loading.
    Reminds me of the time I went into Wally World to buy .223 ammo. This was several years ago. I asked if they had it in case quantity, and could I buy a case. The young lady at the counter looked at me like I just asked for her first born child.

Banned

Depending on the situation, I show up in uniform (mechanic) and ask for 10-15 lbs for making lead hammers for me and my co-workers. Sometimes that backfires. Duck decoy weights works too, but I had one guy tell me he wasn't going to support poisoning the water, I'd better find something else to use. I asked for zinc, he wouldn't give me those, either! One guy I told I was making leadhead jigs, he gave me a whole bucket on the condition I'd make him some, so I went to a tackle store and bought some unpainted ones of different sizes and shapes already cast up, and some enamel and painted a bunch of them by hand, different colors, eyes and all. He was a happy camper when I showed up with them, he said he didn't figure he'd see me again. The only problem was it took him ten years to collect a bucket full of weights.

Gear

Moderator Emeritus

The WW situation in MN, especially within 100 miles of Minneapolis (where I am) and many scrap yards is that there are none for FREE...I'll be damned if I am going to Lie for the previledge to buy some Liberals Scrap. I tell them I am making boolits...Pistol Boolits...if they are interested in swapin' for a box of 9mm or 357 ammo, all the better.
    Jon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    If I said fishing weights they would know I was not truthful as there aint no water for 600 miles all our lake are drying up.
    Frank G.

Banned

I figure it's fair enough to fib with most of the jackwagons I try to deal with, they come up with all sorts of creative lies about why the can't/won't sell them to me.

Gear

Moderator Emeritus

Gear,
    I hear ya...I'd Lie to a Liberal in a heartbeat if there was any chance to get them free.
    If I'm payin' for them and lately it's been near the current scrapper price,
    then I'm doing them a favor...or just lettin' the next dude have a chance at them.

There is one guy (and he is a Mechanic at one shop) that has tied up the
    4 or 5 auto repair/tire shops in my home town.
    he makes Scuba weights...How many darn weights can he make.

Maybe I;m gonna start makin' scuba weights...wink wink nudge nudge.
    I can hear it now....
    Yeah, I here to pick up the old wheelweights you savin' for "So and So"
    Yeah we make scuba weights !!!
    Jon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Longwood
    I found a bunch of what looks like the old plumbers lead ingots that were still connected and flux free solder at the local recycler yesterday. I took all of the lead that I was fairly sure is pure along with the solder.
    He had about 100 lbs of questionable stuff that is a little bit corroded but looks like it was molded for a special purpose. One piece that looked like a big (maybe 25 lbs or more) rectangular and slightly curved ingot with rounded edges and a molded in handle on each end. Almost looks like it may have been a huge hard hat divers weight. Any of you experts know what it may be?
    I have enough pure lead and I am looking for advise on whether or not I should go back and pay the 40 cents for it then smelt it for sale here or on ebay. I would be very simple to smelt so I could sell it fairly cheap.
    There was also a big slab of very shiny stuff that I suspect may be from someone burning a battery. I think I would leave that.

Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    If I said fishing weights they would know I was not truthful as there aint no water for 600 miles all our lake are drying up.
    Try lead soldiers or ballast for a light pole, all kinds of things work.