Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackbox
Load DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Wideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how to cook a tree rat

Squirrel-b-que. Stuff their little chest cavities with moistened Stove Top, wrap their bodies in thick sliced bacon, then grill till browned. Brush on your favorite barbeque sauce and cook till it's thickened.
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

If it's an old, i.e., tough, squirrel simmer it in brown gravy until you can pull the meat from the bones. Sop the gravy with biscuits. Simmered squirrel gravy is the absolute best gravy. If it's a young squirrel, batter it and pan fry it like chicken. Pour off the frying grease--lard is best!--and make brown gravy with the leavings. Fried squirrel gravy is the absolute best gravy.....

Boolit Master

grisly11-

Yeah, if I need 'gator, I walk into a store and buy it. But I won't. I can get rib-eye cheaper, and I like it a heck of a lot more...

dale in Louisiana

In Remembrance
    I hope you like frog legs Dale. Some of them cajuns could make chicken feathers taste good (I belive), but they would fix a few things I couldn't bring myself to try. Nutra rat, blood pudding and blood boudan to name a few.
    Some of them used to get mad at me for not keeping the head on the squirrels. lol

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    I hope you like frog legs Dale. Some of them cajuns could make chicken feathers taste good (I belive), but they would fix a few things I couldn't bring myself to try. Nutra rat, blood pudding and blood boudan to name a few.
    Some of them used to get mad at me for not keeping the head on the squirrels. lol
    Oh, I eat frog legs from time to time. What do they say? "Tastes like chicken"? Then get me stupid chicken. They're runnin' around the yard. You don't have to out in the dark and get eaten by mosquitoes and the chicken tastes BETTER.

Same thing for the rest of that. When I was a kid, blood boudin was something made only in the fall when families gathered for a "Boucherie" teh slaughtering of hogs that was part of filling the pantries and freezers and smokehouses, and part social gathering. I didn't like blood boudin. Tasted too strong.

Nutria? Now we're talking a little better, but, meh!

But you're right! We do have some good cooks down here...

dale in Louisiana

Boolit Man
    OH frog legs now them are real good i like them better then chicken.I will not go to a store and buy chicken thare is to much bone to pay for
    grisy11

Boolit Master
    Par boil until falling off bones. Then fry like chicken.

Simmer in chicken broth till tinder, bread and fry, toss in buffalo sauce.
    They can take my guns when they get past my IED's.

Boolit Buddy
    Ex-wife #2 was a Louisiana gal and educated me on what the standards are for Cajun fare: its has to have two eyes, an a**hole and make the grease stink!

Boolit Buddy
    Harvest with #4 buckshot, find head and confirm deceased, let hound dog check for flavor. DOne

Boolit Man
    lol Gunfixer thats a good one

Boolit Master

I have quartered them and tossed them on the grill with sweet BBQ sauce and all was well. My MIL has a problem with them and I took about 20+ in about 2 days time from her yard. I ate a good bit of it then....
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Throw on the side of campfire. When fire dies down during night the dog gets to eat. Easier than carrying dog food.

Ate too many when younger.
    I'm just the welder, go ask him>

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale in Louisiana View Post
    starmac--

Oh, I'll eat it, I just won't go out of my way to get it. Sort of like alligator. Everybody wants to try alligator. I've had it prepared by some fine cooks, and it's, well, if you're gonna waste a lot of time and effort, then waste it on something good...

And you're right about the fish. The "big enough to bite, big enough to keep" rule was in effect when I was a kid.

Dale in Louisiana
    (Omnivorous, but picky)

Aligator, you eat that? If you dislike squirrel so much maybe we can get a delivery system going on squirrels!!
    Give me a delivered price on 30 or so of what you consider tree rats to area code 21770 FRESH ?

I'm not joking at all!!

Boolit Master

I used to go out the first week of Oct and find a nice sunny south facing hillside with a 22 rifle and get nice and comfortable. The squirrels would come out of the wood work if you sat still. I would bring home a dozen skinned and my mother would cook them.
    She would brown them first in a cast iron pan.
    Then she would pressure cook them until they were tender morsels with meat falling off the bones. Eat them with mashed potatoes, gravy (from drippings off the cast iron pan - Junior 1942 knows how good this is), and squash or sweet potatoes.

Boolit Man
    RANDYRAT
    i have to say that is the best one Yet i think

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by randyrat View Post
    I used to go out the first week of Oct and find a nice sunny south facing hillside with a 22 rifle and get nice and comfortable. The squirrels would come out of the wood work if you sat still. I would bring home a dozen skinned and my mother would cook them.
    She would brown them first in a cast iron pan.
    Then she would pressure cook them until they were tender morsels with meat falling off the bones. Eat them with mashed potatoes, gravy (from drippings off the cast iron pan - Junior 1942 knows how good this is), and squash or sweet potatoes.
    Hi Randy, I absolutely believe you BUT, I think your mom cooked them in the pressure cooker, then the frying pan and on with the rest of your story. They are absolutely awesome and my favorite meat,, exept for Maryland Crabs.

Boolit Master
    I like squirrels, and shot a few of them while I was working in NY. When I was younger I spent many afternoons sitting in the oak grove doing my homework, or reading a book, with my model 67 next to me. I'd keep half an eye on the gray squirrels and when I had a shot against the trunk I'd take it. Five minutes and they'd be back out. I salt and pepper them and brown them real fast in an iron pan then line them up over sliced veggies in the electric skillet and roast them for an hour. Two will make a good lunch.

I was still fond of that past time when I started to work at the Appleton paper plant fresh out of college. I'd take a whole cooked squirrel for lunch and re-heat it in the microwave just to get the reaction out of the secretaries in the lunch room.

I still have that M 67, and I still like gray squirrels.

BD

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12