RepackboxInline FabricationLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWideners
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Escargot ("snails") question

Boolit Master

Escargot ("snails") question

Recently, on a cruise, I tried escargot for the first time. I found them to taste like soggy garlic croutons. Very bready and very garlicy. I could not discern by taste or mouth feel anything other than the breadyness. Is this how escargot is supposed to taste? It was kind of disappointing. I have had exotic food all over the world and enjoy it or not, I could at least tell I was trying something new.

Custom Cast Boolits Google Search

The Learning Never Stops!

Boolit Master
    I never eat anything that I've been totally disgusted by when scraping it off the sole of my shoe.

In Remembrance
    Jackson County, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory
    It is too early in the day to even be thinking about snails as food.
    Those who fail to study history are doomed to repeat it.

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”. Sigmund
    Freud

Boolit Master

Had a buddy who used to hunt snails. He finally retired when he jumped a covey of six and three outran him...

I've had 'em, supposedly prepared by people who LIKE them and prepare them correctly, and they're on my list of "Yeah, if you're starving you can even eat THAT" list...

God gave us Cajuns crawfish so we didn't have to resort to snails...

dale in Louisiana

Boolit Master

Well now crawfish is some of the finest eating in the world. It ranks in my top three favorite foods along with shrimp. Third place keeps getting swapped around, but those two stay at the top.

I've read some recipes for snails, and it seems I was served escargot baked in garlic butter. I have been wanting to try them for some time. I also ate them to gross out my kids (a dad's job after all). I was just disappointed that there wasn't more to it than I got.

Custom Cast Boolits Google Search

The Learning Never Stops!

Longwood
    Quote Originally Posted by SciFiJim View Post
    Recently, on a cruise, I tried escargot for the first time. I found them to taste like soggy garlic croutons. Very bready and very garlicy. I could not discern by taste or mouth feel anything other than the breadyness. Is this how escargot is supposed to taste? It was kind of disappointing. I have had exotic food all over the world and enjoy it or not, I could at least tell I was trying something new.
    You got the wrong kind. They are usually a little tough and chewy. I suspect a chef was trying to make them better, stretch, or worse yet, using a processed product that will keep for months.
    I don't like stuff like those nasty Oysters or the awful tasting Crawdads, (including the ocean going,) but Escargot is surprisingly good if prepared correctly.
    I will admit however that I was almost 50 before I had the nerve to try them. I seldom order them because they are usually too expensive.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much room.

Boolit Buddy
    I tried them a long time ago and thought they weren't bad. However they were prepared like "Shrimp Scampi" not breaded. I think you got took.

Sam
    Last edited by Brasso; 06-11-2011 at 06:25 PM.

Banned
    I eat them often. And frankly they are like suid (or pencil erasor) in good savory spiced garlic butter and dipping the bread is the really big treat

Boolit Master
    It's all in how you cook them, the garlic sauce is a compliment to the snail! Actualy they are very good in my opinion!
    Like every thing else it is either a Like or dislake! If not liked just tell the stuard they are NOT to your liking, NO problem!

Now when I was shot on my ass I asked for "Cabbage Cassarole" that sort of took them back, LOL. I worked out with the chef and they ALL ate it ike crazy!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I have never heard of breaded escargot. Sounds terrible. The chef didn't know what he was doing, and wouldn't get past the first day with Chef Ramsey. Don't give up on it, find someone who knows how to prepare it properly. I can even get good escargot in this small town in NW Montana!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Send me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses of Oysters and Crawdads.
    I'll take care of them immigrants right quick
    Been paddlin' upstream all my life, don't see no reason to turn around now.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Longwood View Post
    You got the wrong kind. They are usually a little tough and chewy. I suspect a chef was trying to make them better, stretch, or worse yet, using a processed product that will keep for months.
    Ditto-

In my youth, I made a living as a keyboardist and played in some very fine eating establishments from time to time, and got to eat some very fine foods. One was escargots. I like em'.

Which reminds me- we have BIG blue colored crawdads down in the creek- Fresh running creek. I need to wire me up a trap and go get some. Been 10 years since I did that,.

Boolit Master
    Yeah, had em a couple times. Anything that tastes like garlic butter is okay with me.

Used to work at moffet field on the south end of the bay... Lived on base in the old visiting officers quarters. I'd bike out every morning to work and go by the airfield corner reflectors. For some reason, every morning there'd be several dozen giant snails holding a race to get to the top. Always made me start thinking of a pound of butter and a head of garlic.

Now, a new one to me last year I hadn't heard of before is pea crabs. They live inside the shells of live east coast oysters. You eat them whole, they have a tender shell like a softshell blue crab. Sweet, and purty tasty for an oyster bug!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DrB View Post
    Yeah, had em a couple times. Anything that tastes like garlic butter is okay with me.

Used to work at moffet field on the south end of the bay... Lived on base in the old visiting officers quarters. I'd bike out every morning to work and go
    DrB, My buddy is an EMT Fireman at Moffit. Has been for years.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PatMarlin View Post
    DrB, My buddy is an EMT Fireman at Moffit. Has been for years.
    Neat. I was out there in 2001 for six months... Actually was on base for 9/11...

Doubt I'd have made your friends acquaintance, pat. Small world, though.

Banned

His name is Pat Murphy.

Banned

ate it a couple times and it didnt impress me. It wasnt bad just not near as good as youd think with all the fuss made over it.

Boolit Master
    No, Pat, I didn't have the pleasure.

Working at Moffet/Ames was fun though. Mountain View isn't too big, the brewery right there was a lot of fun with good food, and all the folks I met were great.

Had an old crew buddy who was rowing for Berkley while in graduate school... had a hoot going to some matches.

I worked with the systems engineering group on advanced methods for launch vehicle design at the time.

Are you in the area?

Best regards,
    Caleb

Banned

No I got out of the area years ago. Miss the food.

Boolit Grand Master
    I had them decades ago. Was like chewing on a large rubber band soaked in garlic butter. Wasn't impressed