Inline FabricationLee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Imr 4198

Boolit Master

Lightbulb Imr 4198

So my Dillon doesn't like it, to long I'd guess, even my Lyman #55 isn't really happy with it but what powder measure handles it without hiccups?
    U S Navy Retired. NRA Lifetime Member. NMLA. SASS Member Time magazine Person of the year 2006

Boolit Master
    I use a Redding #3, it cuts the powder if necessary. The drum and casting are pretty sharp, same with SR 4759. It seems to handle everything from fine powder like 2400 to coarse like Unique. What it doesn't like, it cuts.

I bought it with both large and small micrometers, never regretted the decision.

Ron
    In all, the .41 Magnum would be one of my top choices for an all-around handgun if I were allowed to have only one. - Bart Skelton

I use to load a lot of IMR4198 and my RCBS Uniflow didn't always cut it to well either. But, its way better than IMR4350.
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

Boolit Master
    Of the several powder measures that I have my Belding and Mull works the best with long stick powders.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

H-4198 is now advertised as shorter grain than IMR. Purchases some a couple years ago.
    Is shorter but still gets grains cut and will often bridge in a 22 caliber case neck. I end up weighing every charge and fiddling around with it. Shoots good but lots of effort.

The Johnson Quick Measure CANNOT cut powder kernels.

LINK

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GabbyM View Post
    H-4198 is now advertised as shorter grain than IMR. Purchases some a couple years ago.
    Is shorter but still gets grains cut and will often bridge in a 22 caliber case neck. I end up weighing every charge and fiddling around with it. Shoots good but lots of effort.
    I use a lot of the H-4198 in my Dillon machines with good, consistent drops. I do not have any IMR-4198 so I cannot compare grain lengths but the H-4198 is fairly short.
    ph4570

I get fairly consistent results with IMR 4198 (long, thin "sticks") in my Lyman #55 using all 3 slides. I have an old Redding measure which I'll wager will do as well, but I've not tried IMR 4198 in it yet.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    4198 long sticks have exquisite ignition characteristics and do not need close weighing. This should be true with any big stick powder, either long or fat. Warehouse BR experiments have shown this without any doubt, and consistent drop throws are sufficient for 1/10 inch accuracy. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Master
    I've never found a measure that works well with IMR 4198. So I use a dipper and dump onto my scale pan then into the case. Sounds like a lot of work, but isn't really. I love 4198 and use it in several of my rifle calibres.
    "Investment" is the new "Throw money at it!"

Detectives, and Cobras, and Agents!
    Oh my!

Boolit Master
    IMR4198 was the very first powder I purchased in the early 60s for my new 222. It was my first metalic rifle cartridge endeavor after I had been reloading shotshells for a few years.

At first I weighed and trickled every charge, I had to because I only had a scale and no powder thower. When I got my first thrower (Herters) I immediately noticed it was crunchy. I was very concerned about a possible huge varience in the charges both for safety and accuracy. Weighing the cruncy throws proved it wasn't as bad as it felt. Over the years I have probably tried at least 6 differnt throwers because of this, I found the RCBS with a practiced technique will minimise for the most part the crunching. I can throw + - .2 maximum varience and found that makes no differnce on my load of 19.5 grains for the little 222. Now I just let it crunch for anything I use it in, same goes for IMR4350 and other stick powders.

I don't understand the need to use a powder thrower with rifle loads. I weigh all mine.

Volume loading, some guys can't wait, and also, some guys just gotta have a gadget. After 20 years of reloading, weighing each charge, cause I always wanted the best I could load, I bought a gadget, but I seldom use it. Ball powders only, it won't meter most stick powders close enough to suit me.
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    For many years I avoided powders that don't meter well.
    Now that's what I use most.......RCBS ChargeMaster 1500!!
    Gets the job done!!

Jon
    Col 2:13-17

I have read studies where 0.1gr +/- is not noticable on the target

also with bullets and boolits. 1% +/- was not measurable on the target.

I think this was an NRA study

Boolit Master

Just loaded up a few and for the most part my Lyman 55 did a pretty good job, but it did hang up every once and a while, just had to make sure the down stroke was smooth and firm.
    U S Navy Retired. NRA Lifetime Member. NMLA. SASS Member Time magazine Person of the year 2006

Nanuk, you can also consider ± 1% of the powder charge to be "invisible" on the target. That usually works out to be much larger than 0.1 grain.

Hollywood Powder measure

When I used to borrow my stepfather's setup to do my loading, he had an old Hollywood measure that never had trouble with stick powder. I saw one on *bay a while back, and I'm sorry I didn't get it. My Lyman 55 chops up stick powder really bad.

Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky Raab View Post
    Nanuk, you can also consider ± 1% of the powder charge to be "invisible" on the target. That usually works out to be much larger than 0.1 grain.
    Yea, but...if I didn't know 100% that the powder charge was exactly the same, by weighing, I might blame that +/- (ok, someone tell me how you get that plus/minus on the same space) on my powder measure for a bad day, instead of putting the blame where it really belongs. Wait, that's just what I need, an excuse!
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

We have the right to choose our miss excuses, madsen. "A bad charge weight" is a good one because nobody can challenge it after the shot.

That ± sign? easy. Hold down "Alt" and type 241 on your numerical pad (NOT the numbers keys at the top). To get a ° it's Alt248. A whole list of them is at LINK I keep a short list of the ones I use a lot on a sticky note above my monitor. For examples: ½ ¼ ≥ ≤ ≈ ©

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast