RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackbox
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Load Data Snyders Jerky

Thread: diameter of slugs and pressure

Boolit Bub

diameter of slugs and pressure

I have a 870 with a 28" field barrel with a Hastings Pardox extended choke, my 12 ga. load is Win AAHS hull Win 209 primer powder HS-6 33 grs. with a Lee 1oz WW
    slug, and wad is ClayB WAA12F114, now the Dia. of slug is .682, the inside dia. of Hastings Paradox choke is .708 to .725, slug with wad is .735 to .745 ,I tried to measure land to land in the choke, and grove dia.isnt that a jump from .735 down to ,708 or .710" I'm using a midway veener caliper, with the choke out of barrel, now the slug alone just drops thru, I expected that, but once the wad surrounds the slug Dia, jumps .735"does the pressure spike at the entance to Paradox rifling? its a gradual funnel shaped step to rifling,I've fired 50 rds. thru this choke,started with 35
    grs. and got down to 33 grs. better accuracy and ALOT less recoil. is this a good load with this choke?I see a sticky on rifling twists but see no diameters of barrels or slugs with wads attached. is it a worry I should forget,I was told this choke was made 10 years ago by Hastings and they stopped for 10 years, now their making barrels and same chokes,BUT are the new chokes bigger in diameter or same as old ones as I own?any help or should I just take a chill pill and go back to bed, sore from casting 400 slugs yesterday, probably threw 200 back in pot because they didn't pass my perfect test, no wrinkles or frost. if this makes sense tell me so. thanks

If you using slugs that go inside shot waddy --- which is what you say you are using --- then no problem with choke constricton --- or in your case rifled choke --- wad plastic is softy softy and squishy really easy --- slugs that go in shot wads can be shot through chokes nearly as tight as the slug diameter itself not inside the wad --- the wad petals just squish and shear since the plastic is soft --- I have shot type metal cast Lyman air pellet slugs --- (68+ size) --- through 69 size full choke guns with no damage to gun or slug just little plastic shred stuff about twenty feet down range and the bottom part of the wads without the petals about five feet further down --- obviosly dont shoot as good groups with tight choke like that but they shoot as good as IC choke or rifled choke --- but can be done

Short story shorter --- dont worry about it --- take that pill you mentioned and keep casting loading shooting and having fun

Boolit Master

Please keep in mind that Claybuster wads are interchangeable with Winchester Wads for SHOT loads ONLY. They have a different internal structure and are most certainly NOT interchangeable with Winchester Wads for slug loads.

This has been discussed here before.

Boolit Bub
    thanks for replies, I'll just shoot till something breaks or doesn't break, I have 2 other 870s to shoot and SxS's single shots, so plenty of 12 ga. shotguns to fire, this Express only cost $279
    with 2 barrels, the rifled barrel has the shallowest grooves I ever saw besides a Cobray M-11 9mm, its pressed rifling, its made so cheaply just to say Remington gave a combo 870 with field barrel and a rifled barrel. or maybe I bought the lemon? thanks Tommy your words are :don't worry"and Moonie shot would compress in the wad but the slug is going to keep its shape, so I won't worry about wads.