MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Load DataWidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone use VV N110 powder?

Anyone use VV N110 powder?

It gets great reviews for clean and consistent performance and available locally. Considering it for hi-vel loads in a 32-20.

May be, but any VV powders are Unobtanium here in Sask.

Boolit Grand Master
    I will have to look but I don't know that I have used it for 32-20. I have found it works well in 357 and 44 mag. Closer to 2400 than anything else it seems. Good velocity and accuracy.

Boolit Master

Used to in the 44 mag

Along with 120 in the 357 Max

But localy no one carrys ANY VV powders any more

So I changed to powders that are avaible localy

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Boolit Master

Talking

I have only used it in my Savage muzzle loader and it was clean.

Boolit Master

I use it in any cartridge that I would use 2400, 296, H110 or AA9. For me thats mostly the 44 Mag.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by blaser.306 View Post
    May be, but any VV powders are Unobtanium here in Sask.
    Surprising our local Wholesale Sports has it on thier available board. It is not in thier catalogue or website?

Moderator Emeritus
    It's very good as are all the VV powders. N110 and N120 are my go to powders for cast boolit loads.

I have now converted excluseivley to Vihtavuori powders due to the interrmittent availability and high price of US brand powders in the UK. Vihtavuori has delivered as good as or better than the previous powders in all calibres I've tried it in.

I'm currently handloading for around two dozen calibres.
    Last edited by dromia; 05-05-2011 at 02:39 AM.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Moderator Emeritus

N110 and 120 are great powders in the 357 Max if you happen to have one.
    Reloading Data Project - (in retirement)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/

Boolit Bub
    The .41 Mag., at least my Freedom Arms silhouette model, likes that powder also.

Banned
    I actually have a VV manual but have never seen it locally stocked, not sure if midway or grafs carries it.

It's starting to look like with all the company acquisitions, the only thing unique about a lot of powders is name brand recognition and your particular favorite flavor since they are all more or less the same powder except the name, I.E. WIN-IMR-Hodgdon.
    As stated above H110 is W296 is N110 is 4227 so to speak.

Someone just recently ? bought out Ramshot, can't recall who at the moment.

I think it comes down to whether you like Ball, Tube or Flake and what's available at the time.

My .02 cents

Boolit Master
    I loaded 22 Hornet with N110, still have some. Nice, clean powder that really pushes a bullet. Good accuracy and velocity all the way around. They are a pretty good premium powder.

Ron
    In all, the .41 Magnum would be one of my top choices for an all-around handgun if I were allowed to have only one. - Bart Skelton

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck Bob View Post
    It gets great reviews for clean and consistent performance and available locally. Considering it for hi-vel loads in a 32-20.
    When you say 32-20 is that a true 32-20 in a modern firearm, or is that a 30-20 ? A tThompson Center ?? with a .308 bore ??
    I've tried in in my Contender 30-20, 22 Hornet, and 30 Reece [38 Spl. necked to 30 cal.] Burning rate in these is about the same as 2400.
    I'm like Dromi, but in reverse, the $$$ compaired to US powders makes it a bit pricey, BUT I may try it again in the Hornet with the NOE .225-55 cast bullet
    IHMSA # 566 "time sure flies when you're having FUN"

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne S View Post
    When you say 32-20 is that a true 32-20 in a modern firearm, or is that a 30-20 ? A tThompson Center ?? with a .308 bore ??
    I've tried in in my Contender 30-20, 22 Hornet, and 30 Reece [38 Spl. necked to 30 cal.] Burning rate in these is about the same as 2400.
    I'm like Dromi, but in reverse, the $$$ compaired to US powders makes it a bit pricey, BUT I may try it again in the Hornet with the NOE .225-55 cast bullet
    It is a 32-20 in a Winoku 92 rifle. The rifle is brand new and I'm considering making it a cast only rifle. The VV powder is available to me and the reviews are good.

My plan is a medium PB bullet load 1400-1500 fps to get started then maybe a GC but the 32-20 is a real fun gun and I'm beginning to sway towards a nice load for a PB and forget the hotter loads.

Boolit Master
    In the 32-20, I found a plain base bullet to be accurate enough to shoot competitively (sounds like a stretch but it isn't). If your rifle doesn't require a roll crimp, it might be very accurate with a light taper crimp. 32-20 WCF is one of the best cast-only cartridges a guy can have. Have faith in it, it's an amazing round.

The cases are usually thin, that takes some getting used to. I just order Starline at 500 rounds and go. Lyman 311008 is pretty good, RCBS 32-098 works better in my contender. I thought about the different powders it will take, ended up with 2400. A 32 mag never gets close to shooting like a 32-20.

Ron
    In all, the .41 Magnum would be one of my top choices for an all-around handgun if I were allowed to have only one. - Bart Skelton

In the past I have used N-110. The reason I didn't like it (you're all gonna laugh now) was because it has flame inhibitors in it, meaning that muzzle flash is severely reduced! And the muzzle flash is what I love about shooting .357. So I went to H-110 and 2400 which I like more.

The problem with ALL Vv powders is their availability. Vv also make ammo for NATO, meaning when NATO calls them up and say: "Hey, we would very much like a million rounds of 5.56 and a million 9mm rounds, thanks", then Vv drops everything and starts servicing NATO. I have been unable to find Vv powder for the last 8 months. Plus the price has gone up.... last time I bought it I had to pay $200 for a 4lbs jug.... that is expensive even at Danish rates.!

I have switched over to Noble Sport's Vectan powder. I like it very much, and I only pay $120 for 4lbs.
    The artist formerly known as Wiking

My first pound of powder for the rifle is IMR4227 of Australian supply. I found the n-110 but it was $50 per pound compared to $28.

Thr reports for this brand of powder are very favorable so i suspect a pound might be in order. There is a Canadian bulk supplier who sells cheaper when its in stock.

Boolit Master

I just got a pound and am going to try it in .41spl, .44spl, and .44 Mag........

I'm also going to try it in .38spl for some lite skeeter loads; 10 to 11gr with a 158gr swc...........
    Last edited by ddixie884; 08-15-2020 at 01:45 PM.
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Banned
    Vihtavuori powders are excellent powders but expensive in my neck of the woods.

If VV powder was the only powder available, I would be happy to use it but there are less expensive options available.

Boolit Master

I've only started using VV powders recently and have tried N340, 3N37 and N110. So far I am impressed but it is spendy.........
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast