WidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackbox
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Let's talk melting pots gentlemen...

Boolit Master

Let's talk melting pots gentlemen...

Are we at a point to talk a GB on a good melting pot?

I would like one that would hold 50-60lbs of melt, with an accurate thermostat housing. A very accurate thermostat.

Is there enough interest to talk to Waage or somebody?

Rich

Boolit Buddy
    hmmm sounds just like the one I made myself except mine has a solenoid to actuate a bottom pour valve. Need to make some modifications to it now that I have used it. But it works like a charm. Holds about 55lbs of lead and I made a timer circuit for it that is adjustable so one push of the button delivers any where from half a second to 10 seconds of lead. Oh and it is controlled by a PID temperature controller so it is very accurate temperature wise. I think I have more fun making tools than using them.

Matt

Matt,
    I did a quick search to see if you had a thread on your pot but didn't see one. I really enjoy reading the "how I did it" posts and would love to see some info on yours. I hope to get started tinkering with a pot after I get my new shop finished up.
    Thanks
    Tim

Boolit Buddy
    Yeah i never did do a thread on it. As I said, I plan on making some changes to it. When I get to it, I'll do a piece on it. Sorry to hijack Idaho, I'll bow out quickly. BTW who would you get to make a pot for a Group Buy?

Matt

Boolit Master
    Matt,

as of right now; that would be YOU!

How big a diameter, and how deep is yours?

Price the materials, pay yourself a decent wage and think about a run of four.

I would buy the first one, if the price is at all reasonable. At All!

There would be easily three more guys who want to be able to pour an hour or two without all the hassle of owning three twenty-pounders and ladling lead, then loading ingots.

Make some money; Make My Day!

Rich

Boolit Master
    Rich,

The Waage is a 20# pot IIRC and I recently read here that they're going for about $240. The 40# Magma bottom pour with PID controller is $775.

Matt,

I'd love to hear what you come up with; if you're interested.

Regards,

Tony

Boolit Master

I will say that I am interested as well. Don't know if I would be able raise the money for it, but I would like to see how it turns out.

Cast Boolits Search Tool

The Learning Never Stops!

Yeah, I'm curious too!

Boolit Buddy
    Wow that is a lot of interest. with a PID controller, insulated bottom pour pot, solenoid actuated bottom pour I would have to charge around $500 to make any money. Shipping would be the killer. Would probably cost over $60 to ship it. The one I have is the very first model I have built and has a few tweaks needed to be better. I know it would be a couple months before I could get started producing, but if there is enough interest, I might be able to put something together.

Matt

Matt,
    Post up some pictures and description. Depending on the setup, your price might not be so bad.
    Tim

Boolit Buddy
    I am extremely busy right now but when I get a chance, I will model my new design in Inventor and post some pictures. After noticing that the magma version with PID controller is $775 and is cheap stamped steal with a manual lever system, I think my price is very reasonable. Give me a bit and I'll see what I can do.

Matt

Boolit Buddy
    In the mean time, let's discuss what you guys look for in a bottom pour pot. Give me some idea of what you are looking for in a pot so I have a bit of direction to suit everyone.

Matt

Boolit Master
    Matt,

I mostly ladle cast and only sometimes use the bottom pour spout to cast. I mostly use the bottom pour feature to drain the pot when I'm done. I do this as opposed to having several pots, one dedicated to each alloy. Right now I mostly cast 50/50% WW/PB. Who knows what I'll be using a couple of years down the road.

FWIW the $775 price for the Magma does not include S&H.

Regards,

Tony

Boolit Buddy
    Matt,
    I would love to see how you made your prototype. I think that a home made pot that works is really cool!!! Thanks!
    CATS

Boolit Buddy
    I will say that my first prototype, while it works, has a few things I want to change. I'll try to get some pictures up this weekend. for now I will leave you with a picture of my senior design project that I just finished.

Matt

Let me know what you think it is.

lead shot maker?

Boolit Buddy
    You got it. It runs the coolant through a radiator with a fan pulling air across it keeping it cool. The pump pumps the coolant into the upper tank overflowing it giving a nice level surface. Shot flows out of the spout on the bottom into the basket. When the basket is full, it is pulled and placed on the draining rack. The draining coolant drains into the lower holding tank where it is reused. The holding tank holds the coolant while it is not being used and is pumped back into the main tank when setting up. The upper lead pot automatically keeps the lower dripping pot at a constant level. From cold start up to making shot is 12.5 minutes. With an average production rate of about 50 lbs per hour. Believe it or not, it was making good shot on the first power up. Just thought I'd give you an idea of my abilities.

Matt

Boolit Master
    I'm IMPRESSED! What shot sizes can you make?
    Tony

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyjones View Post
    The Waage is a 20# pot IIRC and I recently read here that they're going for about $240. The 40# Magma bottom pour with PID controller is $775
    Tony
    I own four of the WAAGE K4757 20# pots . The current price directly from WAAGE is $162. The company also makes VERY large capacity pots as well.

Jerry

S&W .38/44 Outdoorsman Accumulator

Boolit Master
    Matt:

VERY impressive indeed !

Jerry
    S&W .38/44 Outdoorsman Accumulator

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast