RepackboxInline FabricationTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Load DataLee PrecisionReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners

Thread: Running the 788 a little today ......

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters

Running the 788 a little today ......

I needed a rifle to use up some thirty caliber leftovers I have around the dungeon . I was gonna use the three-oh-eight and see if I could get gallery loads to hit where the irons were set to without adjusting them . It didn't want to work so I reached for the 788 chambered in 30WCF . Why not I asked myself , after all I hadn't shot it in some time .

This one has a Williams reciever sight on it and is zeroed using hundred fifty grain spitzers . The first batch of leftovers to use up are some 311466 that got lubed and gaschecked and were sized to .311" . I loaded five rounds with seven point two grains of Universal Clays since I had some of that to use up too .

At thirty yards , all five shots impacted about an inch above the point of aim and in a nice tight group too . Back to the loading bench and made up forty more rounds and sat on the hill about seventy yards from the swinging woodchuck target hanging on the berm . The hits on steel were more often than the misses so perhaps I really should put it on paper and see how it's doing . Those forty rounds gone .... back to the dungeon to load more .

Only had thirty bullets left of that batch so I found another box that had been gas checked and lubed with LBT and sized .313" . I set up the LEE push through and ran all of them through to make them .311" so at least the size would be right . I've got thirty of one and ten of the other ready to go and sho 'nuff ...... it's supposed to rain tomorrow .

This should be a fun way to use up leftovers huh?

Jack

Sometimes just shooting up the odd rounds left from this, and that, and cast boolits from this, and that is more fun than taking it serious, and often provides some good surprises too.