MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWidenersTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Load DataInline FabricationLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I want to buy a .44 Magnum lever action....

Boolit Buddy

I want to buy a .44 Magnum lever action....

Which one?

I've kind of decided on .44 Magnum because I already load for it, and am setting up to cast for it. When I hunt with it will be for hogs here in Texas, shooting from a stand. The rest of the time it will be a Sunday *Day at the range* rifle.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Greg

Boolit Buddy
    My Marlin 1894 .44 Mag GG is a great shooter. Short, lightweight and almost perfect for walking thru thick stuff trying to flush a hog.
    "Feel the heart of the hunter - feel the thrill that will cleanse the soul."

I have a 94 Marlin in 32-20 and a Rossi in 357. Both are made in 44 mag. If I had the opportunity and extra cash I would opt for the Marlin. Its already drilled for a receiver sight and side ejects for a scope which it is already drilled for. My Rossi also has a curved steel buttplate which may get your attention in a 44 mag. For walking in the brush I can shoot quicker with a receiver sight so that would be my main reason for the Marlin. Also, in my opinion, the Marlin just seems like more rifle. The Rossi is a fun little gun, but I think the Marlin will outshoot one. My Rossi had issues with the foreend being too tight and had to be relieved so it would group and the front barrel band had to be loosened. Not real big issues for hog hunting. If I had to use just the Rossi I would not be all that disappointed, I just think the Marlin is a better built rifle.

DP

My favorite 44 mag is a Winchester trapper that I bought during the era that preceded some of the goofy safeties that helped to put Winchester out of business. This gun has a particular fondness for the Lyman 429215 boolit, and at my club range I've spent many hours plinking clay pigeon fragments at 100 yd. I'd tell everyone I hated this gun--it has a lever that rattles more than other 94's due to a lever link machined much narrower than the opening in the receiver. I later bought an EMF 92 rifle in 44 mag, but the Winnie, except for the rattle, is a better shooter all around and kicks much less. Those curved buttplates on Octagon rifles really let you feel it!

Greg, the good news is: you can't go wrong. My very strong preference is the (newish) Winchester 92. It is a very fine rifle, very accurate, no rattles, looks pretty...but kinda pricey. I'd be happy with any of them, really.

If you can find one, a pre safety Marlin 1894 isn't a bad way to go.

Also, microgroove levers like bullets sized a bit larger, so you might need a different sizing die, like a .431.
    1. Treat every firearm as if it were loaded.
    2. Never point a firearm at anything you do not intend to shoot.
    3. Keep the finger off the trigger and firearm on safe until ready to shoot.
    4. Know the target and what's beyond it.

Boolit Master

Get It

Based on the experiences with my Marlin 1894 in 44mag. It shoots 240 grain lead and j-word boolits with no problems. And with a little straightening of the spring on the ejector it feeds the 300 grain RF lead boolits with no problems. It is accurate and a hard hitting lever gun.
    Dysfunctional Disturbed Disabled Debonair Navy Veteran
    Swift Boats, Vietnam, 1967-1968.

"You are never too old to learn something stupid."

I have the Rossi and it is a great little gun. Be prepared for the recoil though. Full loads hurt! I am now looking for a recoil pad to take some of the hurt out of the equation. Very accurate rifle though and it loves the 429231 boolit. I also have the Lyman Devastator HP and it does pack a wallop. Great mould if you can find one.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Buddy
    I can't say enough good about Marlin and their Cowboy models. 20" or 24" (if you can find one) feel MUCH lighter than they are so pack easy in your hand. With the extra heft even the stoutest of loads are pretty tame.

My scoped 24" model will keep its favorite loads inside 1 1/2" at 100 yards for 5 shots. My receiver sighted 20" model even keeps its favorite 44 special load (255gr PB & 7.5grs Unique) inside of 2" at 75 yards!

Don't overlook the Browning B92, they're a pretty good rifle, with no lawyer safetys like the newer Winchesters.
    McLintock

Boolit Buddy
    The Browning 92 is one that I have been looking at.

Thanks for the info guys!

If I did decide on a Marlin, would I be better off with the Ballard rifled barrel over the Micro-groove?

HONCHO EMERITUS

Quote Originally Posted by Greg G View Post
    If I did decide on a Marlin, would I be better off with the Ballard rifled barrel over the Micro-groove?
    I have a Marlin 1894ss in .44 Magnum. It has the Ballard rifling and the safety. I size to .433" as the bore slugs .431"

With the .433" slugs (280 grn WFNGC) cast out of ACWW this little carbine shoots cloverleaf groups @ 100 yards when the shooter does his part.

All of the Marlin 1894's have the 1/38" twist. So if you want to shoot boolits over 300 grns then the Marlin may not be for you.

Hope this helps,
    -Matt
    Group Buys Honcho'd: C326-175-FN, 434-210-RF, C434-210-RF, 30-165-SIL-MOD, 358156-PB, 413-170-Keith, C348-225-FN, 8mm SIL, 45-230-CM, 45-270-Ohaus/SWC, Edd's 28-170-FN

Boolit Bub
    I have a Winchester 94 Pack Rifle in 44 Mag. It is a wood pistol grip stock with an
    18.5 inch barrel and a 2/3 magazine tube. It is one of my most accurate rifles I own.

I own a Winchester 94 in .44 Magnum and several Marlin 1894's in .44 Magnum. I very much like the Marlins over the Winchester in both accuracy and smoothness of operation.

Hope this helps.

Fred

In Remembrance

Mine is a Marlin Model 94 in 44 mag. Mine has "micro groove rifling" and REALLY likes pure linotype for cast bullets. Most of the reloading books mention the linotype for the cast bullets.

For the 44 mag, I'd take the Marlin.

In 30-30, I'd take the Winchester any day.

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Master

Talking

The Marlin is my choice because you can mount a scope if you want. The older ones were also drilled and tapped on the side for a receiver peep sight like Lyman or Williams.

Boolit Buddy
    I've been reading and reading and reading. "JM" stamped barrels and such.

The Marlin 1894 Cowboy in .44 Magnum with an octagon barrel and Ballard rifling is looking pretty good.....

But..........Boy they ain't cheap. Upwards of $800.

Boolit Buddy
    While I am an A#1 Marlin Cowboy fan, don't overlook Rossi's 20" and 24" octagon versions. While I've never owned or even played with one, they sure look nice!

Longwood
    I bought one of the lace on pads that Cimmaron sells, and am planning on ordering two more.
    I cut a piece of the 1/2' closed cell foam from one of those snap together floor pads for inside of it.
    If you decide to go that route, I will send you some of the padding so you don't have to buy a bunch of it.
    Last edited by Longwood; 05-21-2011 at 06:43 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast