WidenersReloading EverythingLoad DataInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading

Thread: Nobel # 60 info ?

Boolit Grand Master

Question Nobel # 60 info ?

Good afternoon
    While searching for some 3F came across a small quantity (maybe 3-4 ounces) of Nobel #60. Smells OK and looks OK.
    My searches so far seems to suggest it is a fast powder maybe along the lines of 231 ?
    Looking for anything concrete. Load info for 38 special or 44WCF. Just any real info so I can determine whether to buy it or leave it sit on a shelf in an obscure corner downtown.
    Thanks !!! Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Banned

mike.
    I show nobel #78 like bullseye or red-dot.
    and nobel #80 like titegroup or American select.
    I don't see a number-60 on my chart.
    I would have to assume it is super fast and would have to treat it as faster than bullseye.

Boolit Master
    Wasn't that what Keith used before 2400 in his .44 SPL? Memory fails me and i don't own a copy of Sixguns and haven't read it for awhile, but i seem to remember him using a Nobel powder... Will do some digging for you Mike.
    Raisin' Black Angus cows, outta gas, outta money, outta tags, low on boolits, but full 'a hope on the Rocky Mountain Eastern Slope!
    Why does a man with a 7mag never panic buy? Because a man with a 7mag has no need to panic!

"If you ain't shootin', you should be reloadin' if you ain't reloadin' you should be movin', if you ain't movin', somebody's gonna come by and cut your head off and put it on a stick!" Words to fight by, from Clint Smith

Boolit Master
    Seems as though the memory failed me (AGAIN) and Keith used no.80 till he got his hands on some 2400. So no help at all, sorry!
    Raisin' Black Angus cows, outta gas, outta money, outta tags, low on boolits, but full 'a hope on the Rocky Mountain Eastern Slope!
    Why does a man with a 7mag never panic buy? Because a man with a 7mag has no need to panic!

"If you ain't shootin', you should be reloadin' if you ain't reloadin' you should be movin', if you ain't movin', somebody's gonna come by and cut your head off and put it on a stick!" Words to fight by, from Clint Smith

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    Thanks fellers ! I am in the same boat.. searching about... nothing so far but it does seen it must be very fast.. found one 12 guage load listed as 18.5 grains with one ounce shot.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28

well there's a blast from the past! Nobel's 60 was a shotgun powder roughly around greendot it was used here in Australia for many years and was once the most popular powder available here for reloading it made a nice cartridge around 1250fps and tons of it were burnt up over the years
    23.5grs with a Eley monowad eley primer in a winchester case with 1 1/8oz load was the standard load it could be loaded up to 1 1/4oz
    the 60 series was discontinued in the 1980's and superseded by the 80 series fwiw the 60 series consisted of 60,62 and 64 the 80 series had 78 80 82 and 84
    I've loaded 62 in 357 magnum I've never tried 60 but I would start at 5grs in the 44wcf and 4grs in the 38 special with normal weight boolits and go from there I loaded up to 6grs with 62 in the 357 with very good results

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings smlekid and a BIG thanks for that info.
    Going to get back to that obscure corner and see about scrounging up that little parcel. That would keep me shooting for a couple more months without having to open another box of 12 guage to get to some powder.
    Mike in Peru

I have an Eley company card leaflet from approx 1973.
    It states that they are about to replace the 60 Series powders with the 80 series.

The leaflet advises that 80 Series data is to follow, but until then use the rule of thumb of "they weigh the same, so use the same weight of charge - BUT the 80 Series are bulkier than the 60 Series, so under no circumstances set up to dispense 80 Series with a volume measure, then switch back to a 60 powder without changing the powder measure to a smaller size"

I'm also trying to locate more data for the 60 Series as I lucked into a few tubs last month, still sealed in the bag....almost the same age as I am!

I will check the info I have on the 80 Series for now & see what the suggested weights for those powders are.
    DID think I'd cracked it - as I found a 1963 dated Nobel Glasgow reloading manual last week! But, sadly, NO shotgun load data in it & NO data for use of the 60 Series in pistol loads....

Back to the drawing board