Load DataRepackboxTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: H110 vs 296?

H110 vs 296?

I know that opinions are wide and varied and thats ok so here is my situation I am almost out of an old old ( 10 years) bottle of h110, I have been told that 296 and h110 are identicle. I have noticed the load data for the two are pretty close together. Im not sure how the old h110 compares to new h110 vs 296 also is 296sensitive to the case fill as h110? Does it have ignition issues in cold weather like I have heen told h110 does? I have not had this issue with my old h110.

PS 45 colt ruger black hawk bisley 71/2 bbl
    Thanks in advance for the help.

Boolit Buddy
    It's my understanding they're the same, made by Winchester named 296. Hodgdon bought a bunch and sold it named H110. true or false?? I dunno'

Boolit Grand Master
    My understanding is that they are different lots of the same powder.
    I would treat them as identical in regards to no heavily reduced loads, firm crimp, good bullet pull, and tougher ignition in cold weather.

Moderator Emeritus

They are the same powder and all differences can be accounted for by normal lot to lot variations. Hodgdon has admitted as much since buying the Winchester powder line out.
    Reloading Data Project - (in retirement)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/

Yep it is now the Same Powder. The W-296 used to be a tad slower than H-110 but not anymore.

So save a couple of bucks and get the H-110.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

They are both made by St. Marks Powder Company, which I believe is owned by General Dynamics. Since Hodgdon bought the rights to the Winchester line of powders, they have standardized the loading date for both H-110 and Winchester 296 at exactly the same in current data from Hodgdon.

They are the same powders now.

Hope this helps.

Fred

I use the h110 with 300 to 315 gn g/c boolits and good accuracy I also use 2400 with the same results. If there isnt a need Im not going to replace the h110 at all. Ill just continue the 2400. If my memery serves me right and I may be wrong the recoil is less with 2400. I just remembered I also have used h110 in 44 mag with excelant results ( 1 1/2" groups @ 67 yds. I know why 67 yds. distance from my deck to my backstop.

Thanks Guys.

Boolit Master
    at one time 296 was the first pass powder and H110 was the second with the differences being 296 was more consistent in its grain size- H110 less so-- different sizes made the surface area available to ignition a little different -- that was a while back -- and was from an email posted on another forum but I do not remember where --. now as was stated their data is now the same

H110 & W296 are the same powder, different lots (normally). Treat it like a different lot number, back off 3% and work up if needed.

In all the Hodgdon data I've seen published in the last couple/three years has been identical in charge, pressure, and velocity.

I'm of the opinion that WW296 and H110 have always been the same powder but for lot to lot variation.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterGrin_1 View Post
    Yep it is now the Same Powder. The W-296 used to be a tad slower than H-110 but not anymore.

So save a couple of bucks and get the H-110.

I have also heard H-110 and W296 are the same thing. When i recently bought my first 44 mag revolver, I went to my local reloading supplier and H-110 was $24.99 lb but W-296 was $18.96 lb. I bought all i could afford.

Quote Originally Posted by SMCCORD View Post
    I have also heard H-110 and W296 are the same thing. When i recently bought my first 44 mag revolver, I went to my local reloading supplier and H-110 was $24.99 lb but W-296 was $18.96 lb. I bought all i could afford.
    Good going it used to be the other way around. W-296 was more expensive than H-110
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

You should treat them as different, because when you bought that H110 it was a different powder, in 2004 I believe is the year that Hodgdon bought the rights to sell W296
    Buying cheap equipment to reload with is like buying a cheap parachute, it only has to fail once to not be a bargain!

The name 296 sounds more cool. I have a brand new unopened canister of it.

Why are all the major gun powder companies selling out. I once worked for Hercules now they no longer exist. Allient bought all the Hercules powder division and logo shortly before Hercules sold all other remaining businesses. Another company purchased remaining businesses, stock, and pension plans.
    Last edited by detox; 05-24-2013 at 04:47 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Yup, same powder but different lots, concur with all.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Got new news, Larry, from cartridge production folks at the new WW plant at Biloxi. St. Marks has plenty of powder for shipment and the real news is that they are NOT labelling the lots with the old time WW numbers. Hodgdon is now the sole distributor of the produce to others, no matter who they are except to the WW plants. So, sooner or later the packaging will indicate even same lot numbers until one of the retail number's die. Every lot now is being shipped from St. Marks as industrial powder, if you will. Canister "grade" is now up to the purchaser from St. Marks. In other words, expect number changes for these individual lots, unless Hodgdon is going into the mixing business (of smaller lots) to make up an "old" Canister number. ... felix
    Last edited by felix; 05-24-2013 at 06:35 PM.
    felix

Quote Originally Posted by felix View Post
    Got new news, Larry, from cartridge production folks at the new WW plant at Biloxi. St. Marks has plenty of powder for shipment and the real news is that they are NOT labelling the lots with the old time WW numbers. Hodgdon is now the sole distributor of the produce to others, no matter who they are except to the WW plants. So, sooner or later the packaging will indicate even same lot numbers until one of the retail number's die. Every lot now is being shipped from St. Marks as industrial powder, if you will. Canister "grade" is now up to the purchaser from St. Marks. In other words, expect number changes for these individual lots, unless Hodgdon is going into the mixing business (of smaller lots) to make up an "old" Canister number. ... felix
    Felix you must be slipping lol. As most of the posts from you I have to read at the very least twice to get the drift. Where as this one only took one read over lol.

But to get back on Topic. Even before the changeover between H-110 and W-296 they were darn close. W-296 was just a hair slower than H-110.

I prefer the Old W-296 more than H-110. But it just might be a feeling and nothing more. But I could swear that the Old W-296 would burn cleaner than the new W-296/H-110. What is even more funny is that for hunting only loads I will still grab for the W-296 and use the H-110 for everything else when Magnum loads are wanted. But does it really make a difference in the real world. Probably not but it makes me feel more confident. Maybe it should have come in a Blue Can lol.

This is for the .44 Magnum.

For the .357 Magnum I use H-110 to preserve my W-296 for the .44 .

But when you get down to brass tacks and you wish to load Magnum rounds I do not think you can go wrong with either powder choice.

Okay folks, for the 947th time (seems like, anyway)...

H110 and W296 are the exact same powder. Period. Always have been, no matter what some folks believe. Any difference was (and is) due to lot variation. This isn't my opinion, my guess, or my surmise. My source for the information is Chris Hodgdon.

Boolit Master
    Gunslinger:

Howdy !

I've shot WW296 in .357Mag, in all kinds of weather, to include cold/wet conditions ( as-cold-as -35*F ). I myself, never encountered a failure to fire when shooting WW296 in .357Mag.

The load I keep ranting and raving about ( 14.5gr WW96 and SP Mag primer ), came right out of the older Winchester ( Olin ) reloading guide
    pamphlet.. you could pick-up for free @ gun stores. To be more specific.... the 14.5gr charge ( to my memory ) was THE minimum charge they recommended.

The guide also strongly recommended that you NOT sub primers or brass, and of course.... use of all Winchester components was advised.
    I opted to use a variety of .357Mag reloading components when assembling MY loads over the years, and it presented no problems that I could discern.

I did not know ( for many years ) that WW296 and H110 were the same stuff. My loads testing ( in the dark ) showed small charge wt variance between the two, when shooting both in a benchrest-grade .357AutoMag carbine. In that regard... I think Sprgzilla observance, is on the mark.

Visually... the two cans I compared of the 2 different powders showed one had slightly flattened grains.

With regards,
    357Mag

Boolit Buddy

Okay folks, for the 947th time (seems like, anyway)...

H110 and W296 are the exact same powder. Period. Always have been, no matter what some folks believe. Any difference was (and is) due to lot variation. This isn't my opinion, my guess, or my surmise. My source for the information is Chris Hodgdon.
    I caused a lot of hate and discontent by saying that years ago, same thing with WW760 and Hodgdon 414.
    Jeff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast