MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackboxTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Load DataWideners
Reloading Everything

Thread: Parts for lead pots / furnaces

Moderator Emeritus/Boolit Master in Heavens Range

Parts for lead pots / furnaces

My old Lyman pot died on me this evening, and it nearly took me forever to find the thread ”How old is your oldest lead furnace?” that I started a while back. All of the following is copied from that thread, but I suspect I’m not the first to have a pot die, and I won’t be the last. Here are some places to find parts to get them up and cranking again. Lots cheaper than new pots! If anyone knows any other sources, feel free to chime in.
    Molly

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blacksmith
    Molly
    A company I used to use for industrial heating equipment is Chromalox. They had almost anything you could think of for heating and controls. You ought to be able to find something you could adapt.
    http://www.chromalox.com/products/pr...FQY65QodwXkxsA

Edit note: Chromalox seems to be out of business.

Blacksmith
    I spent some time on the website, and you're right! They have flexible rod heaters to almost any temperature you want to name, and which can be wrapped around just like the one in my pot now. I guess it's days are NOT numbered. When it stops ticking, I'll know exactly where to get it's ticker fixed like new. I should be so lucky. (BG)
    Thanks a bunch fellows. I didn't start this thread with these results in mind, but I'm sure glad I did. It takes some special people to just jump in and help out when they see the need. Thanks again.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 454PB
    Molly, it's possible that the thermostat for a Lee Pro-4-20 would work. It's a simple bimetallic switch rated for 700 watts and costs $5. It's on the 13th line here:
    http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/cata...717.5871=90947

WOW! I believe it WOULD work. Now to find a replacement heating element ... Any ideas anyone? I have heard of electrical heating elements that could be wrapped around something, but don't have any idea where they can be found, or what their temperature limitations are. There may be some life in the old pot yet!!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...6&postcount=13
    ..and...
    http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/...ad.php?t=55431
    ...also...
    http://www.bilbeecontrols.com/B200-page1.html
    Last edited by Montana Charlie; 12-21-2010 at 02:45 PM.

Edited note: Many of these links do not work any longer. Here are a couple of sources for the thermostat that are still active 5/2012:
    http://www.watlowdistributor.com/HTM...eater-spec.pdf
    (Look for the B-200 thermostat)

http://orders.ppe.com/odr/rbpperetail.htm?p-part=B-200

From 3006 guns:
    If your heating element goes out, get an ohmeter (multimeter) and with the pot unplugged (obviously) measure the resistance of the element. The meter should probably be on the "ohms x 100" scale. If the element is burned in two, measure the resistance of both pieces and add them together. Either way will tell you the total resistance and a manufacturer of heating elements will be able to help. If you can't get a meter, call a plumber....or take it to his shop. They routinely measure the resistance of electric water heater elements and can tell you what it is.

Should this be a sticky?

More, from the thread “Here's the thermostat on my Lyman 61 melter” :

I'm sure this s a replacement part because it looks nothing like the pics I've seen of other Lyman 61 thermostats.
    Sorry for the out-of fouc shot of the text on the side, it reads:
    American Thermostat Corp. South Cairo NY
    Model B-200 1600W 115-236V AC only
    Seems like a pretty beefy unit for this little melter. I don't think that many come with 1600W thermostats.
    By Tippet

You can get (the insulating strip behind the thermostat) here: http://orders.ppe.com/odr/rbpperetail.htm?p-part=B-200
    Tippet

here is a good write up on replacement of the element in a Saeco which should be similar to your pot.
    http://pages.suddenlink.net/abittner/
    Last edited by manleyjt; 02-10-2011 at 02:16 PM.

You might want to contact these folks about a replacement element:
    L-H Branding Irons
    800-437-8068
    www.lhbrandingirons.com
    Ask for Mark. They can custom shape the heating element, if you send them the old element. The elements have spade terminals. An element 42" long is rated at 1800 watts. Oneokie
    Last edited by Molly; 05-06-2012 at 02:21 AM.
    Regards,

Molly

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Buddy
    +1 for making this a sticky.
    Great resource for repair parts.

Thumbs up

Another vote for making Ken's post a sticky!

Boolit Master

Somebody make it a sticky!!!!!! PLEASE
    Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
    SASS 15704
    Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

Moderator Emeritus/Boolit Master in Heavens Range
    I'm glad to report that the old pot is up and melting just fine. Turned out to be nothing more than a wire between the thermostat and the heating element had burnt out. It was simple to just rob a few inches off of an old extention cord, strip the insulation and wrap a couple of strands together for more current carrying capacity. It won't be quite so quick to die again.

Just as a side note to stay on topic (BG), while I had it apart, I nearly went crazy looking for suitable insulation to put on the wire. But no luck. I even tried to find some 1/4 inch glass tubing that I could cut into 1/2 inch lengths to run the wire through, but couldn't find any locally. If you ever have the need, it would work fine if you can find it.

What I found that DID work was a small roll of aluminum backed fiberglass that is sold for pipe wrapping. I cut a 3/8 inch strip and wrapped it around the installed, but bare wire. It's sorta aggrivating to work with, but it got'er did. And being a sucker for more work, while I had the pot apart, I put a layer of insulation on the bottom and wrapped the steel cover for the heating elements with fiberglass too. It was a pain slipping the outside jacket back over top of the fiberglass without tearing it, but not too bad, and now the old gal is more efficient than ever! I turned it on and not only did the pot work fine, there wasn't even any smoke or odor while the fiberglass was getting introduced to it's new job. Price was $5.95 at Home Depot for an 8 inch diameter roll. Brand name was "Frost King PIPE WRAP INSULATION Foil-backed Fiberglass" mfg by Thermwell Products Co Inc. Mahwah NJ 07430, 1-877-FROST20 " 1" thick, 3" wide, 25' long, which is enough to do at least a dozen pots.

Hope this helps someone.
    Last edited by Molly; 05-05-2011 at 10:00 PM.
    Regards,

Molly

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

Yep!!! Make it a sticky!!!
    Wayne
    Aim low boys, there ridin shetlands

Here is a follow up on elements for Lyman furnaces. If it is over 1 year old, Lyman sends you to this guy.

King's Repair
    Raytown, MO

816-358-9220

SPAMMER
    Thanks for sharing, the reports are always fun!

Boolit Master
    I spoke to King's Repair yesterday prior to seeing this thread. Gentleman I spoke to was a quality guy. What I took from the conversation is that the cost of replacement parts to him are going up significantly. That made me decide to order the Waage furnace I have been dolling over. Marc Waage is on of the best people I have had the pleasure to speak with in a while. My suggestion is that it you too want this furnace to get it before it is no longer gettable.

Boolit Master
    Here is the correct link for the Lee Pro-4 parts:

http://leeprecision.com/parts/bullet...-4-20lb-parts/

I ordered the thermostat for my Saeco pot. It quit working. Checked the coil by wiring directly to it and it worked. Replaced the appliance cord and it now is heating, but not getting hot enough. For $5.00 (11.xx with postage, new knob and new actuating knob for my real Pro-4 20 lb pot) I thought it was worth the try.
    Ed

CW3 USA (Ret)
    VFW Life
    American Legion
    DAV Life
    NRA Benefactor
    TX State Rifle Assn Life
    SAF Life
    NY State Rifle and Pistol Assn Senior Member because I don't have to fight that fight in TX
    JPFO Member
    GOA Member

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PB234 View Post
    I spoke to King's Repair yesterday prior to seeing this thread. Gentleman I spoke to was a quality guy. What I took from the conversation is that the cost of replacement parts to him are going up significantly. That made me decide to order the Waage furnace I have been dolling over. Marc Waage is on of the best people I have had the pleasure to speak with in a while. My suggestion is that it you too want this furnace to get it before it is no longer gettable.
    You are paying $1550 for a Waage melting pot? Either I have the wrong webpage:

http://waage.thomasnet.com/item/lead...grees/pn-1658?

or Wow! And my wife thinks I spend a lot on reloading stuff.
    Ed

CW3 USA (Ret)
    VFW Life
    American Legion
    DAV Life
    NRA Benefactor
    TX State Rifle Assn Life
    SAF Life
    NY State Rifle and Pistol Assn Senior Member because I don't have to fight that fight in TX
    JPFO Member
    GOA Member

Boolit Bub
    Chromolox is alive and well. To replace the thermostat/knob on your lyman or Saeco, here is the link. I bought one a few years ago and it was around $24.

http://www.chromalox.com/productcata...ls.aspx?m=4163
    Last edited by DirtyJack; 02-15-2013 at 01:33 AM.

Boolit Master
    Ed, the furnace I am buying from Waage is not on their web page. I forget the price, but it was a very good deal. If you want one buy it direct from Waage. PM me if you are looking for a dipping pot and I'll dig out the price which was very reasonable.

Boolit Buddy
    Dead link report 11/8/14:

http://pages.suddenlink.net/abittner/

It's either gone or they no longer have "pages". Searched the site for "abittner" and found nothing.

Are there any options for a 10# Saeco pot rebuild?
    Looking for Ideal mold 419181 (44 Evans Long)
    "Joined Dates" are deceiving if you factor-in "lurk" dates.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Molly View Post
    I'm glad to report that the old pot is up and melting just fine. Turned out to be nothing more than a wire between the thermostat and the heating element had burnt out. It was simple to just rob a few inches off of an old extention cord, strip the insulation and wrap a couple of strands together for more current carrying capacity. It won't be quite so quick to die again.

Just as a side note to stay on topic (BG), while I had it apart, I nearly went crazy looking for suitable insulation to put on the wire. But no luck. I even tried to find some 1/4 inch glass tubing that I could cut into 1/2 inch lengths to run the wire through, but couldn't find any locally. If you ever have the need, it would work fine if you can find it.

What I found that DID work was a small roll of aluminum backed fiberglass that is sold for pipe wrapping. I cut a 3/8 inch strip and wrapped it around the installed, but bare wire. It's sorta aggrivating to work with, but it got'er did. And being a sucker for more work, while I had the pot apart, I put a layer of insulation on the bottom and wrapped the steel cover for the heating elements with fiberglass too. It was a pain slipping the outside jacket back over top of the fiberglass without tearing it, but not too bad, and now the old gal is more efficient than ever! I turned it on and not only did the pot work fine, there wasn't even any smoke or odor while the fiberglass was getting introduced to it's new job. Price was $5.95 at Home Depot for an 8 inch diameter roll. Brand name was "Frost King PIPE WRAP INSULATION Foil-backed Fiberglass" mfg by Thermwell Products Co Inc. Mahwah NJ 07430, 1-877-FROST20 " 1" thick, 3" wide, 25' long, which is enough to do at least a dozen pots.

Hope this helps someone.
    Find a good race car speed shop. Ask for spark plug wire sleeving. The outside is generally a red color, sometimes blue. MSD makes it, and I believe there is also another brand. Mallory ignition also carries it, but they were bought out and I don't remember who bought them. Unfortunately, it comes in 20' or so rolls. Find someone who races and they possibly would have a small piece, although it is not real common for the average racer. Mostly used by the Pro teams.

Boolit Buddy
    Sorry if I write wrong things!
    But the thermostat was used when there were no PID!
    Now a PID costs very little: certainly more than a thermostat, but it is just a few dollars!
    but it is much more precise and .... more beautiful to see!

If you have a Lyman Mould Master or the Identical SAECO Santa Anita Engineering Co pot try Magma Engineering makers of the Star Sizer Master Caster and Master pot as the Master Pots thermostat looks just like the Lymans or SAECOS if thats what you need its high quality T stat and so are the old pots