Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2WidenersLee Precision
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading

Thread: Loads for Ranch Dog 432265 TL bullet

Boolit Mold

Loads for Ranch Dog 432265 TL bullet

Have been trying to locate loading specs for the Lee made, 432265 tumble lube bullet created by Ranch Dog. Who has already reloaded this bullet and what are your best loads for both handgun and carbine? I have a number cast and want to get started on a test of this bullet.
    Thanks for all of your help.
    Gripmaker

I have used 22.0 grains of H110 with this bullet and it's a good load in my guns.

I use it in my Ruger Redhawk 2.5" super Alaskan, my 7.5" Redhawk, and my 1894 Marlin.

I used to load 23.0 grains, but got sticky extraction out of one of my pistols on a hot summer day one time, so I backed it off a grain.

19.7 grains of H110 does a pretty good job out of my Rossi Puma 92, 20" carbine.

I have paper patched the bullet with this load with success. No GC.
    And I have simply dipped the bullet in LLA with success. With GC.

Either way has been good, but not stellar. I have a lot more testing and refining I want to do. I just have not dedicated the time to it yet.
    He who knows best knows how little he knows.
    - Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master

I use 23.0-grains of H110 but I don't shoot wheel guns. Fire Stick, try putting a little more powder behind it and it will tighten the groups. 19.7 is a pretty light load for H110.

There is some data on the TLC432-265-RF product page
    Michael

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranch Dog View Post
    I use 23.0-grains of H110 but I don't shoot wheel guns.

I had some left over 432-265GC's I'd loaded for a 1894 Marlin 44 MAg with 23 grains of H-110 !

They shot great in the rifles but my they were a handfull in my Ruger Old Model Flattop 44 MAG !
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Mold
    I should have included that I will be shooting this in 44 mag and 44 Spl. out of a Rossi 92 and a Ruger pre-prod ss Bisley. The Bisley is capable of 3/4" at 25 yds with 265 and 17.5/2400 in 44 Mag. I am really interested in what the Rossi is capable of in 44 Mag and both in 44 Spl.

Thanks to all for info so far. It is certainly a start.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 6pt-sika View Post
    I had some left over 432-265GC's I'd loaded for a 1894 Marlin 44 MAg with 23 grains of H-110 !

They shot great in the rifles but my they were a handfull in my Ruger Old Model Flattop 44 MAG !
    John Taffin did articles on loading for rifle and pistol in 357 and 44 awhile back in AMERICAN HANDGUNNER (SEP/OCT and NOV/DEC '09 or '10)...data was on their website...and found the best load for rifles was not the best for handguns....and vice versa. My experience also. I'd suggest loading generic ammo for the handgun that will function in the rifle also, but then load "rifle specific" to take advantage of slower powders, etc in the rifle. Your 17.5 of 2400 is enough fun for me...I use 6.5 to 8.0 of TITEGROUP or HP38 in my generic loads, depending on boolit...the plain base NOE clone of the RD 432 265 or clones of 429421.

I shoot Cowboy Action, so I do 48+ rounds daily if possible in my VAQUEROS. The rifles get considerably less...especially when I'm walking down a steep and often icy hillside to go shoot...it's a lot easier to carry pistols in holsters and ammo in baggies in coat pockets. A fall might result in a broken rifle stock...wouldn't do me much good either!

Boolit Buddy
    I have been using the 432-265 in a Flat Top .44 Special at 900 or so fps and it is a VERY accurate up close in that one. I have much more experimentation to do and would love to connect with some fellow 'Special fans using this projectile so we could start to generate some data/share experiences.

I don't even know what the twist rate is on my 'Special, but it is likely the same as whatever Ruger is doing on the SBH.

Boolit Master

Outback Queensland, North of the Tropic of Capricorn
    I have the NOE 432-265. I use the HP pins when I cast and I was using them in my Marlin 1894SS. They shot great in 44 Spl brass made from 44 Mag PMC brass with 15gr of 2400. If I could get the Starline Brass to stop separating, that is all I would load in the rifle for plinking and competition. I might load up some magnums to hunt with, but out of the special cases, that boolit and 15grains of 2400 is all I need, and then some.
    WHEN IN DOUBT, USE MORE CLOUT!

Boolit Bub
    I load 9.5 gr universal with the 265gr. its our general purpose load for both the 1894 and SBH. very accurate and capable in both. works great on woods deer too. flattens them out to 100 yds. and exits. not a hot rod load but it doesn't have to be. recoils less than those h110 loads. the loads I made with 22.5gr h110 were just as accurate and very powerful but not nearly as useful as a general purpose load. its a great bullet with several powders.

Quote Originally Posted by Gripmaker View Post
    I should have included that I will be shooting this in 44 mag and 44 Spl. out of a Rossi 92 and a Ruger pre-prod ss Bisley. The Bisley is capable of 3/4" at 25 yds with 265 and 17.5/2400 in 44 Mag. I am really interested in what the Rossi is capable of in 44 Mag and both in 44 Spl.

Thanks to all for info so far. It is certainly a start.
    Try 4.7 grains of Bullseye with this bullet in .44 special cases. No gas check needed (at least I didn't use one).

I made and shot a few of these in my Charter Arms .44 Bulldog pug. It seemed like a good load, but I mostly shoot 200 grainers in that snubbie now a days.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post
    Try 4.7 grains of Bullseye with this bullet in .44 special cases. No gas check needed (at least I didn't use one).

I made and shot a few of these in my Charter Arms .44 Bulldog pug. It seemed like a good load, but I mostly shoot 200 grainers in that snubbie now a days.
    Thanks.
    I have used 5.5 grains of W231 under a commercial cast 265 before - in a 3" Bulldog. I am definitely going to try this without the GC too. Haven' loaded any that way yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranch Dog View Post
    I use 23.0-grains of H110 but I don't shoot wheel guns. Fire Stick, try putting a little more powder behind it and it will tighten the groups. 19.7 is a pretty light load for H110.

There is some data on the TLC432-265-RF product page
    RD, I finally had a chance yestreday to try 23.0 gr of H110 like you suggested. Wow! What a tight group at 25 yards with the Rossi 92.

Can't wait to stretch it out the next time I am at the Ranch House.
    He who knows best knows how little he knows.
    - Thomas Jefferson

EDK was very generous and gave me a two cavity version of this mold. I just started loading it up for my Win 94 in 444 and so far the light loads of 4198 seem to do the best but I am not sure on that yet. I am still looking for data on that boolit and rifle combo.

However, I found that my Smith 329 PD really likes about 18.5 grains of Win 296 with that boolit. I put 3 rounds touching at about 15 yards. I suspect that should I have to shoot a moose or bear this load would serve its purpose as well or better than any thing else I could load for the job.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by grubbylabs View Post
    EDK was very generous and gave me a two cavity version of this mold. I just started loading it up for my Win 94 in 444 and so far the light loads of 4198 seem to do the best but I am not sure on that yet. I am still looking for data on that boolit and rifle combo.
    I have several Marlin 444's that seem to love this bullet cast from straight WW"s , aircooled , sized at .432" , pushed with 52 grains of H322 and set off with a CCI200 primer !
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Thanks 6pt