WidenersInline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone ever moved there lead stash across the country?

Boolit Buddy

Has anyone ever moved there lead stash across the country?

Has anyone ever moved there lead stash across the country? I live in Nebraska and I plan on moving to Texas in about 1.5 to 2 years. I am worried that I will have a lot of trouble by then moving all my lead down there. I am hoping to be able to keep my lead coming at the rate it is but I am realizing that that will be over 2000lbs I was wondering if anyone has moved there lead pile.

Boolit Master
    Palletize it and ship it to yourself.
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

Boolit Grand Master
    I moved about 1200# 3 years ago, 130 miles. What a huge PITA, though a lot of the metal was in 5-gallon buckets--and the boolits in 1# coffee cans. At least the stuff doesn't take up much space.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Grand Master
    Yeah, moving it 20 miles is just about the same amount of work. I moved 3000 pounds in my pickup truck, but it took me two trips. The volume wasn't a problem, but the weight was.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

I recently moved 1100 miles and even my smaller stash (around 500 lbs of both ingots and raw WW) was a pain. I am forced to keep my supply small because I know my job will have me moving every couple of years. By itself the lead wouldn't be so bad, but you throw in heavier items like a bunch of ammo cans full of loaded ammo, tools, a lathe, motorcycle, work benches, an 18' wooden canoe, etc. and the move becomes a challenge. Keep in mind that I am single and 75% of my possessions are items that belong in the garage or basement. Needless to say, it was painful. To add insult to injury, when I was off loading my stuff, the lathe fell about three feet from the loading ramp onto concrete. Some would say to hire movers and let them suffer and do all the work. Well, problem is movers don't take care of my stuff the same way I would. Movers are expensive. And, movers won't move any HAZMAT or liquids (think; oils, cleaners, gun powder, ar care products, paint and all the other stuff a self-sufficient person needs to live an average existence). Movers aren't worth the cost and worry. Last time I used movers I ended up renting a small trailer to haul all of the stuff they wouldn't move and they ended up breaking all sorts of things. Sad part is they broke all large items - a desk, shelf unit, window air conditioner, BBQ grill, etc.

To sum it up - moving sucks and I don't envy you becasue there is no easy way around moving.

Boolit Master
    Make sure you ingotize everything before you move to get rid of the scrap. Pack it into 5 gallon buckets - it should take about 10 of them (or less). Then just rent a Ryder truck (not Uhaul) and move it with the rest of your stuff. It won't take up too much room and I'm sure the truck can handle it. It will only cost you a little more gas.
    Ronald Reagan once said that the most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help".
    Download my alloy calculator here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=105952

Boolit Master

I moved about a ton of lead 30 miles. It was a PITA but I had 3 mos to do it. Moving all the guns was a pain too. Not nearly enough cases. I've been in this house 16yr. Been retired 7yrs. I plan on dying in this house but no for a long time yet. Maybe the lead will be the kids problem unless I can turn it into cash toward the end.

Bob

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by sundog View Post
    Palletize it and ship it to yourself.
    That's a good idea! Pallets are everywhere for the asking. Buy a box of long drywall type screws and some 1/2-3/4" plywood and make a box on a pallet. Fill the box with your lead stash and add packing to fill the space and screw a cover on it. I did something similar 6 years ago when I thought I was going to move to Missouri. I had one of those little 4' x 4' trailers and did the plywood box thing and took about 1200 pounds of ingots with me when we went to see relatives. Then I drove it back the following year when we decided not to move!
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Master
    I plan on moving across the state in 2-3 years. I'm getting too old to lift 5 gal buckets of lead. I like the pallet idea but you have the problem of lifting it once loaded. Since I began casting I've stored my lead ingots in a manner intended to make moving it as little an issue as possible. I build small boxes out of 1/2" plywood that each hold about 60 pound of ingots. The boxes nailed and glued and are sized so that the ingots fit fairly snug so no packing is required. The lids are 1/4" plywood and are nailed on or screwed on. Contents and date are marked on the outside of each. So when I move these, I can stack the boxes into a much smaller space than the round 5 gal buckets and I can still lift the 60 pounds. Some people store in milk crates but again those are too heavy for me to want to lift them. I use my table saw to precisely make all the cuts and usually make a dozen or so at a time.

Boolit Bub
    USPS. 2000# is about 34 small flat rate boxes, $170. What a deal.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by megafatcat View Post
    Better give you letter carrier a bottle of 20 year-old Scotch for Christmas this year! You might not get much mail, otherwise...
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Just curious ...... how about that moving , storage outfit called PODS .... same thing as a container but looks a little smaller ... they drop it off and pick it up . (but with a ton or so of lead , wonder if they could pick it up ?)

Boolit Master

I think the pallet idea is that it can be fork lifted or pallet jacks as are in use on semi's for moving goods. Build it where it can be accessed and drop it off where it can be broken down. My little trailer worked great and didn't take up hardly any room at all and with over 1200 lbs on it I could wheel it around myself.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Mold
    I think your best option is to leave it here in Nebraska with me and then come visit it once in awhile

you could sell it.. and buy it later, after you are setteled but save @ 100 lbs in case you get a hankering for some casting ...and blasting i moved 700 lbs of ammo and ended breaking my rear axle housing in nevada moved from arkansas to california had to tow my truck for @ 600 bucks , wasnt worth that ...

Boolit Master

Actually, you would need to use a medium flat rate box that will hold about 68 lbs. Cost at online price of $10.50 per box and 30 boxes would be $315 plus tape and labels. It would be about 17 cents a lb to move it anywhere in the country. Plus the benefit of not having to transport it across the country yourself.

Actually, I would probably ship some and carry some myself.

Cast Boolits Search Tool

The Learning Never Stops!

Boolit Grand Master

Curious . . .

All sorts of suggestions on transporting but notice no one has mentioned getting rid of it?

Must be folks like me. The furniture, the wife, the kids, the dog can stay behind but the lead goes with me. Ok, not the dog.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jimfix44 View Post
    I think your best option is to leave it here in Nebraska with me and then come visit it once in awhile
    I knew someone would step up and lend a hand lol

Boolit Master

Moved from TX to OH 18 years ago with about 500# lead, plus brass & ammo components. Took them myself in PU truck, a real pain but it was worth it. You can get the movers to take the lead, I did that once before, but it does cost. If you are paying, move it yourself.
    God Bless America
    US Army, NRA Patron, TSRA Life
    SASS, Ruger & Marlin accumulator

Boolit Buddy
    I like the mailing idea. I also will have to look into the pod's idea. I will have to move my lathe, my mill and all my machining tools. I have to move a garage full of hotrod parts and tools. to mechanics chests and a house full of ****.