Load DataInline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyRepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Nevada Cast Bullet Shoot 2007

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range
    You guys would do well to just call a grub hoe what it is... Onceabull
    Last edited by onceabull; 01-02-2007 at 01:33 PM.
    "The Eagle is no flycatcher"

Onceabull---Yip down here they are called grubbing hoe--I thought he was bringing a lawyer but it was Matlock.

Hey use guys, my frst recolection of thesz tools whn I waz a lit'le tike, was frm the spoken wrd of "WPA" workers and the "CCC" camps. They were sofisticated cause I never herd them call it a "grub hoe".

But "GRUB HOE", it shall be !

Loken 4-word to c-ing ya, Mac

Here's a link to a nice web page that describes and shows good pictures of grub hoes and Pulaskis and other tools that make my back hurt just looking at thrm.

http://www.americantrails.org/resour...fo/tools5.html

Banned

It's official-

My wife and I will attend the shoot this year. Now you're in for it..

In Remembrance

Pleasant Valley, NV, 400 yd. N of Galena Creek
    Pat, delighted you and your wife will attend the Eighth Annual(!) NCBS. I have a kid picture of me with a good sized striper from Berkeley Pier, like your c. 1965 picture, but mine is c. 1951, and I was older at the time!
    Eagles have talons, buzzards don't. The Second Amendment empowers us to be eagles. curmudgeon

Super Moderator

...............Too bad I don't have a trailer for, and for THAT matter a truck to pull it, or I could bring my dad's old bosses International TD-18 crawler and we could move some dirt

...............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    ...............Too bad I don't have a trailer for, and for THAT matter a truck to pull it, or I could bring my dad's old bosses International TD-18 crawler and we could move some dirt

...............Buckshot
    No, Rick--the F-250 won't pull it.

First, it was the Cabrio to hunt rats from--now this. You all see the sorts of things I deal with at the Burrito Shoot--when able to attend.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Banned

Vendor Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by PatMarlin View Post
    They just can't picture a lead bullet that you've cast yourself working. Funny- I never had that problem ...
    Pat,

Whenever I here someone doubt the viability of cast bullets my reply is...."Seen any buffalo lately?"

ammohead

Vendor Sponsor
    l-l-long r-range shootin, and buckshot is coming. I am quaking in my boots at the thought.

Can't wait to see you again Rick.

ammohead

Vendor Sponsor
    And for the pistol team event. Double action at 100 yards on the same target!

ammohead

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ammohead View Post
    And for the pistol team event. Double action at 100 yards on the same target!

ammohead
    I'm in, Bruce. Yer a daisy if ya do!
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by ammohead View Post
    l-l-long r-range shootin, and buckshot is coming. I am quaking in my boots at the thought.

Can't wait to see you again Rick.

ammohead
    ...............I haven't figured out which rifle I'm gonna bring for that event yet. Heck, win-lose-or draw, it'll just be great to get back up there and see everyone.

You gonna bring the "Winged Avenger" and sleep out at the new range?

................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Banned

That's a question I have?

What do I need to bring? What rifle, handgun, how many, etc.?

What type of events do I need to practice and work up loads for?

I have no idea, as I've never been to a competitive shoot.

In Remembrance

Pleasant Valley, NV, 400 yd. N of Galena Creek
    Pat, see my post #26 on page 2 of the NCBS 2006 (that's last year) thread. It is a sticky near the top of this page. It is also addressed to you. Also, check posts #27, #28, (yours) and #29.
    Last edited by NVcurmudgeon; 01-11-2007 at 03:24 PM.
    Eagles have talons, buzzards don't. The Second Amendment empowers us to be eagles. curmudgeon

Boolit Grand Master
    The "competition" element is kinda de-emphasized, generally. I bring the guns I hunt with, mostly--nothing exotic or "target-oriented" in my modest collection. One of the central themes that seems to run through the membership here is the good work done with milsurp or mass-produced rifles and handguns--using poured boolits crafted by one's own hand for the most part. That is the thrust of my hobby work, and I carry that to NCBS.

As for the "long range" rifle shooting.......there hasn't been a whole lot of that in my experience. I did some work-related stuff with my bolter 308's at Camp Pendleton from 300-600 meters......some informal plinking at metal targets from 200-700 yards at my home range and at Angeles Shooting Club.......and a little rock-busting out in the desert. For many here, long range shooting isn't often available--for me, it is a treat and a curiosity that I like to explore and play around with, but nothing serious could ever come from it. Lack of facilities, platforms, and skills keeps me well within the ranks of the rank amateur--certainly so with rifles, at least.

Long range (whatever that is) handgunning I've done a bit more of. I like to empty out leftover rounds from handgun ammo lots from my sideirons at the 200 meter dinger plate at the range Buckshot and I infest on Tuesdays. Some of this gets done double-action, and once in a while I connect on the plates. Most of the rounds hit pretty close to the plate, so I know very well that 219 yards is NOT a safe space from someone firing a handgun in your direction. Most cops of my age range (51 years) were trained to fire their revolvers double-action, and many of them can keep all rounds fired on a B-27 silhouette at 100 yards from their pet K-38 or Python in that manner. My better revolvers can stay inside the B-27's 8-ring at 100 yards with loads they like (rested), and I shoot about as well double-action as I do single action. So, a D/A shooting sequence at distance appeals in no small way to yours truly.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by PatMarlin View Post
    That's a question I have?

What do I need to bring? What rifle, handgun, how many, etc.?

What type of events do I need to practice and work up loads for?

I have no idea, as I've never been to a competitive shoot.
    ...............Not a competitive shoot. A bunch of friends get together and shoot. There are some "Events" you can participate in if you want to, and then 2 "Team" events.

The 2 Team events are one rifle and one pistol. Usually you try to shoot a board in half or clear a a bunch of clay pidgeons. Fast and furious.

Then there is rifle group at 50 and 100, iron sights

Rifle group at 50 & 100 scoped

Then a couple pistol events.

Scopes are not normally highly stressed and the rifle at 50 may be offhand. Long range rifle is or has been 5 rounds offhand iron sights at some not to terribly small target.

Basicly it's bring what you enjoy shooting, partake of the events you want to. If you suddenly get the urge to do somehting you didn't bring a gun for, it's usually no problem to borrow one.

...............Buckshot

Boolit Master
    Lemme see,

got to bring the Sharps, the 1911 Swiss, the 32-20 M73, the 550 Gibbs (guaranteed crowd pleaser), the CZ 416 Rigby, the 9,3x62 CZ, that should about cover my end.

Rich

Td-18

Buckshot that isn't one of those machines that had spark plugs on one side of the engine and injecters on the other is it? those are some serious earth moving machines.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast