WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Load DataTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Nevada Cast Bullet Shoot 2007

Boolit Master and Generous Donator
    Pat:

Look at a CA map; follow State 128 from Cloverdale to State 1 at the coast; backtrack to Philo, we're 7 miles NW, right on the highway, at a spot informally called "Floodgate" (from a swinging livestock gate across the creek that flows into the Navarro River). If Philo doesn't show on your map, we're 12 mi. NW of Boonville. Quite a place: Chas. Manson had a place a mile SE of us; Leonard Lake had the motel in Philo; "Tree-Frog" Johnson - who buried the kids in the old schoolbus - was up on the ridge; the Reverend James Jones (of Kool-Aid fame) was on the School Board; and the REAL ol' timers say that Frank James used to visit relatives here bakg in the 1870s. So, you can see it's not your everyday "Kalifornia". Nearest official range is the Ukiah Gun Club's, east of the city of that name enroute to one of jack London's hangouts.

MT Gianni:

Lotsa pigs up here. I don't hunt them, myself, but can put you intouch with them as do. And I'd be happy to have your nephews as guests at the Ukiah Club.

Doug Elliott, aka "floodgate"
    NOV SHMOZ KA POP?

Banned

OK- I know where your at now. That's some beautiful country.

I bought my sawmill from a guy over there this time last year. I love the drive from my place over to 101, then south your way.

Mt Gianni, that would be on the way to Santa Rosa. Maybe a piggy hear piggy,piggy, hunt could be arranged.

I don't eat pig, cause it doesn't agree with me for some reason, but I sure would like to hunt one. I've been wanting to use my Raging Bull in 454 Casull for just that occasion..

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by PatMarlin View Post
    Well Mr. 3-posts, I'm sure we will all try very hard to accomodate your needs..

As far as the long time- Castbooliteers, if you don't have a place figured out, and wouid ever like to come to our county up here, please let me know and I will make all the necessary inquirys and make it happen...

Pat, keep in mind that some of the old timers have crawled out of the woodwork this week. Mr. 3 posts, may be Mr. 3000 posts from the old shooters crowd. One post, or 10000, everyone's voice is equal here.

Banned

I stand corrected. Please forgive me sir..

Boolit Grand Master
    I won't speak for Pat on this matter--he has a voice of his own--but I don't like the state of gun laws in this Worker's Paradise any more than the Nevada residents do. The difference is--I live with them 24/7/365. Dealing with those laws for 48-72 hours per year seems like not such a big thing to me, but to each his own. Just don't rub my nose in it--or gracelessly throw a good-faith invitation back in someone's face who is trying to do the right things for the right reasons.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

I didn't mean to stir anything up at all. Was just concerned about guns in your state. Don't have a clue as to what is a good gun or a bad gun over there and what kind of stuff you have to do to legaly transport a gun in your state.
    AS far as Pat's offer, it is indeed graciouse and well thought of by many, even myself.
    I'll just fade away on this subject and just go set up all my own steel and be content with that. I'll tell the guys that told me to make it a must do thing as far as having fun and shooting cast bullets I'll just see them at the range when I am not hunting.. Good shooting to you all...Mr. 4 Poster

Boolit Grand Master
    It might be best if I opt out of this thread/discussion as well. I do sincerely hope that a venue can be developed at which to hold NCBS this year. It is a GREAT meeting, the shooting and fellowship is wonderful, and I would hate to see the matter drop.

For my own part, a formal/constructed "range" isn't really required--just a safe open area with decent backstop on public or private land where shooting is permitted, in reasonable distance to campgrounds--hotels--and restaurants. Winnemucca worked wonderfully in that regard, and I can't help thinking that another such situation surely exists in the Silver State.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Banned

Hey no harm done NV, it's just best described as Al put it... "Don't rub our nose in it". We know we have a pile of crap in this state that has to be delt with. I'm a Native Sacramentan. I remember hunting with my dog right in town before I-5 was there.

Thing is these wacked- mainly college kids that came from back east to attened college here and stayed are hell bent on screwing this state up.

Yes, we have a few limitations on what we can buy now as far as some of the AR-15's, high cap mags, 50 BMG's etc., BUT we are still a free gun totin' state in the USA and please don't forget that!

Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Al View Post
    It might be best if I opt out of this thread/discussion as well.
    NONsense Al... and we can always form a shoot in California in addition to whatever the group decides. You guys are welcome to stay at my place, and shoot at my range.

We've got guest quarters, plenty of room, a huge BBQ and eat good up here...

I need more visitors. I get tired of talking to trees and squirls..

Boolit Master and Generous Donator
    Pta:

Who'd you get the sawmill from?

Doug
    NOV SHMOZ KA POP?

Banned

Actually, dont' remember the guys name. It was a quick cash deal.

Remember driving through those mountains west of Ukia though, man that was cool..

On Heaven's Range

Far as I'm Concerned, It's Winnemucca in 2007

I've avoided posting on the thread for a bit, in the absence of much to report. I must say that I'm surprised at some of the infighting occurring on this topic, but what the hey.

I spent this morning with the chairman of the Future Range Committee, and it was time well spent in doing reconnaisance on the best of our potential range sites.

WINNEMUCCA IS NOT ANTI-GUN.

The range which was closed is a County facility, and a creature of Humboldt County's Board of Commissioners. Winnemucca had nothing whatever to do with operating the range, or its closure.

In today's incredibly litigious society, I believe the Commissioners had no choice but to act, once publicized reports of damage and danger from the range began coming in. To their credit, they immediately formed the Committee to find a new site and offer guidance in building a new shooting facility. My concerns over the safety of the old range have already been stated on a number of occasions, and I'm not very sorry to see it go.

Today, we went down Jungo Road, which goes west from Highway 95 north of the Humboldt River. The site I had first selected is off Jungo Road about a mile, and is unseen from that road. Preferring a more-visible spot to minimize vandalism, we then found a place on public ground, where a range could be laid out with the firing line mere yards from Jungo Road. The length is basically unlimited, but at least 1500 yards according to a good map. Width across the range is also unlimited. Soil is such that berms can be constructed at the scene from the material already there. Blue Mountain forms the backdrop, and direction of fire is northerly.

I don't believe the new range will be ready by mid-May...but I'm perfectly prepared to be pleasantly surprised!

We are dealing with THREE levels of government in this situation, including BLM (federal) Nevada f&g department, and the County. A lot of stuff has to be negotiated and signed-off among these bodies, plus the using groups.

I have decided that the future (proposed) range site will be the venue for the NCBS 2007, whether it's ready or not. It lies about 17 miles from town, half of it paved, so all we have to do is haul all the stuff a bit further than we did in prior years. The setup has to be broken-down each night, but we were doing that in earlier Shoots, too.

With the borrowed tables and chairs as before, it's easy enough to set up a firing line wherever we go. All we'll lack is backstop berms, which will be a bit awkward for spotting shots, etc., but I think we can live with that. The ability to shoot MUCH farther-out will be a great boon, so just make sure all them boomers are sighted-in correctly. I wonder if I could get someone here to cut a 1/4"-plate buffalo target for 800 yards or so????

The usual Friday-noon get-together may turn out to be useful in getting out to the site and perhaps cutting some brush or whatever.

Comments?
    Last edited by BruceB; 12-17-2006 at 05:01 PM.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range

Great News,Bruce

Glad to see progress toward the new Winnemucca Area Range.sounds like a wonderful site with potential for attracting some "Really long range " shooters to help support the effort.. Fate not interfering,I expect to be available for set up effort immediately post breakfast on the anointed Friday, breaking up the day at the Griddle for lunch then back at it,prn. As accustomed , CobbMtMac should be available on the same schedule,should additional supervisory "talent" be called for. I know he has new "toys" to show ..!!.. THANKS for your time&efforts... Onceabull
    "The Eagle is no flycatcher"

Banned

That sounds good.

I didn't know I would be starting a fire with my offer either..

Boolit Master
    way to go!
    only accurate rifles are interesting

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

Quote Originally Posted by PatMarlin View Post
    Thing is these wacked- mainly college kids that came from back east to attened college here and stayed are hell bent on screwing this state up.

mrgreen:
    right, blame it on "easterners," after all, we know thoroughly indocrinated CA natives aren't responsible.

If they all stayed there, then why the heck is NY so screwed up?

I'll gladly trade some of ours for some of yours.

Rant over.

Is there ever an east coast CB shoot?

Boolit Grand Master
    Good news indeed, Bruce. Check for PM.

In Remembrance

Pleasant Valley, NV, 400 yd. N of Galena Creek
    That's great news, Bruce. Even if the new range is not built by May, we would have everything except berms. (Might need bigger target backers for the long range events.) Packing up our stuff each night is nothing new, either. I don't hear anyone volunteering for night watchman!
    Eagles have talons, buzzards don't. The Second Amendment empowers us to be eagles. curmudgeon

can we perhaps camp out there . ? ohohohohoh long range yup I'm there what to bring . shovel weed whacker mattox how early before do you need me to show up.....Dean
    lover of 74 sharps
    MYWEIGH scale merchant
    " i'll tell the story 10 different ways before I'll lie to you."

Bruce B.
    Great news, We will be there! Please post what kind of tools may be needed for Fridays preparations. If I have them I'll bring em. As onceabull said, fate not interfering, we are there and will do whatever we are able to do.

Looking forward to recieving the official dates and too participating! Thanks for your efforts and hard work. Mac & Marlene & Mom

Vendor Sponsor
    Pat,

As founder of NCBS let me thank you for your offer. I have been up that way and it is beautiful. I think that you hit on something when you said that nothing stops anyone from having more cast bullets shoots. NCBS has been so enjoyable that I can imagine myself making time for another foray to someone elses backyard. The first NCBS saw only 6 board members if I remember correctly and we had a blast. I have been surprized that more members haven't had similar get togethers.

But all politics aside, NCBS belongs in Nevada. But I could be talked into attending a CCBS. Looking forward to meeting you in person in Winnemucca.

ammohead

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast