Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad DataSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Wideners Titan Reloading

Thread: CVA Acura ?

Question CVA Acura ?

I have a CVA Acura and I'm having trouble with grouping. I'm only getting around 2 to 3 inch groups , I think this is way too big .I'm using Triple 7 powder and I tryed 90gr 100 gr and 150gr . The bullets I'm using are 245gr Powder Belts, TC Sure Fire 230gr hollow point, TC Shock Wave 200gr and TC SW 250gr. I was thinking of trying a different powder eny sugestions. I was thinking about Jim Shockery's Gold Powder.
    Last edited by tcrocker; 04-17-2011 at 09:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tcrocker View Post
    I have a CVA Acura and I'm having trouble with grouping. I'm only getting around 2 to 3 inch groups , I think this is way too big .I'm using Triple 7 powder and I tryed 90gr 100 gr and 150gr . The bullets I'm using are 245gr Powder Belts, TC Sure Fire 230gr hollow point, TC Shock Wave 200gr and TC SW 250gr. I was thinking of trying a different powder eny sugestions. I was thinking about Jim Shockery's Gold Powder.
    2-3" is respectable for a primitive firearm.

But theres always room for improvement. My load for the Accura i had was 295gr Powerbelts, CCI Inline MZL primers " or winchester 777 primers" and 100gr pyrodex RS. I now use blackhorn209.

Are you swabbing between shots? Its really important to do so with T7 as it produces horrible fouling.

Boolit Buddy
    Mine shoots under 2" @ 150yds. all day long with 2/50gr Pyrodex pellets under a 245gr Powerbelt. My barrel is well seasoned and I have to swab it after every shot to get that kind of accuracy. 2-3 inches is not that bad. Is it scoped or not? I keep my scope on 9 power when on the bench.
    GO WVU MOUNTAINEERS!--Hey, our mascot carries a muzzleloader.
    ---------------------------------
    Professional Critter Chaser
    ---------------------------------
    I love wildlife, it tastes great!

I got it from Cabela's with one of there ballistic drop ret scopes .
    Last edited by tcrocker; 04-18-2011 at 08:06 PM.

Just need practice to be honest.

Barrel heat affects accuracy, so next time, try something like 5 minutes between shots and see how that goes.

Primers make a difference in group size as well. This sport takes time to learn all the tools of the trade.

Mine shoots better with loose than with the pellets- so maybe try that. Also I agree on letting the barrel completely cool down between shots- It made a difference with mine as well.

Make the first shot count, when deer hunting you generally get one shot out of a clean gun. Nobody I know takes a bench in the woods either. Make sure you are confident of your shot out to whatever yardage.......offhand, not off a bench. this is your kill zone, stick with it. Too many get ginned up over the ballistics @ 100 yds & over. Do you regularyl practice at over 100 yds. offhand? Shot placement is what to practice, not group size imho.
    "there is a limit to everything"
    Sigillum Militum Xpisti

Boolit Buddy

I love the way my Accura shoots..

It also loves 2F 777 and 250 gr. Shockwaves. Sorry, no pics of the 777 groups right now

Lou