Load DataRepackboxRotoMetals2Wideners
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interest in a fat 358-429 six cavity mould. (Lee Precision)

Interest in a fat 358-429 six cavity mould. (Lee Precision)

Any interest in a fatter Lyman-like 358-429, six cavity mould from Lee Precision?

The Lyman's drop skinny bullets, but their design is solid. The result is a slightly heavier bullet.

I recently posted about this same, or similar mould in:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=138453

If there are 15 folks interested, I'd honcho a group buy. I did this mould, but skinnied down the lube groove, which is the picture below. For this buy we could go with that, or widen the groove and shrink the base (reversing what I did for my mould).

What do you think, anyone interested? I'm thinking a 6 cavity mould, this one drop BHN 7-8 at 178-179 grains. WW would be 3 grains less, estimated.

It would be a minimum of .360, with the Lee machining it could be +.003 from that. Right now my light loads of Bullseye like it unsized, and full magnum loads like them sized at .360. Your needs would be different, but wth the extra size there are options.

I'm thinking $95 per six cavity mould, plus $10.95 shipping.

Here's how they look:

Rossi M92 Lever Action
    Taurus 669
    Kel-Tec P-3AT
    http://357shooter.blogspot.com/

Boolit Master
    Catshooter was honcho of a GB for a Lee 358429 clone a few years ago; I'm assuming Lee would still have the tooling from that run. They cast about .362" with my alloy.

Personally at that price, I would rather have an NOE mold - even though they don't do 6- cavity molds.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Lee doesn't keep the tooling around for reuse, so it has to be done for each order placed. The tooling from the mould I just did isn't even available to be reused, FYI.

I like the NOE too, I also like the Lyman. For those that like the Lyman design, but are frustrated with the small diameter four cavity moulds I hope this is a good option.

Also, for those that prefer a six cavity mould, I hope this is a good option for a 358-429. It's why I spent the money to have one made for me. It's impressed me enough to see if others are also interested.
    Rossi M92 Lever Action
    Taurus 669
    Kel-Tec P-3AT

I'm in. The heaviest boolit for .357M I currently have is the 358-158-RF, which as 357shooter knows from another site, I get very good results with. But I'd like a heavier boolit as well, and I've always wanted a Keith-style in this caliber. 0.360" would be kinda fat for my guns (the Security-Six likes 0.3585"), but that's what the sizing die's for. Better a little too big than too small.

With the smaller grease groove, you aren't experiencing any out-of-lube problems in your long gun?
    "San Francisco Liberal With A Gun"
    http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
    http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/ (podcast)
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    .38 Spl, .357 Mag, .44 Spl/Mag, .45 Colt, and .22LR
    A true Liberal must by definition support the entire Constitution, and thus also the 2A, 100%. Any other position is inconsistent with liberalism.

I would really like to see a MiHec MP molds 6 cavity copy of the Lee 6 cavity design. Would be about the same price too! I have one for a 9mm and the quality is far superior to the Lee.
    "(The Constitution preserves) the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." -James Madison

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy T View Post
    I'm in. The heaviest boolit for .357M I currently have is the 358-158-RF, which as 357shooter knows from another site, I get very good results with. But I'd like a heavier boolit as well, and I've always wanted a Keith-style in this caliber. 0.360" would be kinda fat for my guns (the Security-Six likes 0.3585"), but that's what the sizing die's for. Better a little too big than too small.

With the smaller grease groove, you aren't experiencing any out-of-lube problems in your long gun?
    Hi Cowboy. So far so good even in the long gun, I need to run some more full house through it and plan to in the next week.

I have noticed the this bullet like to be seated deeper, per the Lyman cast bullet handbook. It also has already produced a group less than 1 inch, 25 yards- rested - iron sigths, with a light load. 3.5 grains of Bullseye did the trick. This is the only 358429 that I've found to shoot a light load that accurately.

Lubing seems to affect accuracy with the magnum loads I've tested in my revolver. Using Darr lube on the bottom groove was lead free, with and OAL of 1.560. So I tried lubing the crimp groove too, and the groups tightened up. I haven't tried this with the lighter load yet.

One note, my revolver has large throats. So the magnum loads shoot best when sized to .360, which matches the throat size. It may be a coincedence, but maybe not. Other 358429's in the past, with other revolvers, shot best when over throat size. The Bulleye load has performed the best unsized. So far.

Doing a run with the small lube groove is one option, the other option is to do a run (group buy) with all the large groove. Thought I'd see if there's enough interest to do it.
    Last edited by 357shooter; 01-05-2012 at 10:54 AM.
    Rossi M92 Lever Action
    Taurus 669
    Kel-Tec P-3AT

Quote Originally Posted by shawnsmc View Post
    I would really like to see a MiHec MP molds 6 cavity copy of the Lee 6 cavity design. Would be about the same price too! I have one for a 9mm and the quality is far superior to the Lee.
    From my experience, various custom and some semi-custom moulds are available from time to time. Custom moulds be ordered at any time, and range in price from $120 to approx $170. That's for 3 or 4 cavity versions. This proposed group buy is for a custom six cavity mould, which makes a big difference to many casters. It certainly does to me.

Of course there is the Lyman 4 cavity for $85 or so, that has the issue of small bullets. If your gun shoots them well, this is a good deal.

If it doesn't, and you need to custom or semi-custom, there isn't another 6 cavity available, AFAIK. I do see that MiHec can custom cut a 6 cavity for some bullets, so that's another option for someone to pursue, but will cost considerably more than $95 for a one-off (an assumption on my part). The Lee six cavity can be custom ordered at any time, and that will run you $205 for a six cavity.

I did actually get this mould custom made by Lee, and found it to be superb and drop excellenet bullets. I haven't done that with MiHec, and really don't want to incurr the additional cost of another couple of hundred dollars to me. Since I'm this far down the road and have a proven product in hand, I'll stick with Lee. for this proposed group buy. I'm not proposing a group-buy for a mould that I don't already own and have experience with. That's just my approach and how I like to do things.
    Last edited by 357shooter; 01-04-2012 at 08:37 AM.
    Rossi M92 Lever Action
    Taurus 669
    Kel-Tec P-3AT

Do you know what kind of turnaround it would be with Lee?
    "(The Constitution preserves) the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." -James Madison

Quote Originally Posted by shawnsmc View Post
    Do you know what kind of turnaround it would be with Lee?
    I can order once I have the funds, it's all paid up front. They turn them around in 4 weeks. It took 3 weeks for the one I just did. Ii'll need a couple of days to pack and ship them out as they will only deliver to one address.

I'll verify with them that 15-20 moulds will still be within the 4 weeks and post back.
    Rossi M92 Lever Action
    Taurus 669
    Kel-Tec P-3AT

I spent somet time at the range yesterday. This slightly heavier Keith liked a 13.0 grain load of H110. Normally 13.5 worked the best.

When I backed it down, and increased to a medium crimp, groups got tighter.

Very sweet to have one mould producing bullets that will group less than 1 inch (25 yards) with a light load, and group less than 1 inch with a magnum load.
    Rossi M92 Lever Action
    Taurus 669
    Kel-Tec P-3AT

Quote Originally Posted by 357shooter View Post
    I can order once I have the funds, it's all paid up front. They turn them around in 4 weeks. It took 3 weeks for the one I just did. Ii'll need a couple of days to pack and ship them out as they will only deliver to one address.

I'll verify with them that 15-20 moulds will still be within the 4 weeks and post back.
    I just heard back from Lee that over the winter it could be as long as 8 weeks to get them back from Lee. FYI
    Rossi M92 Lever Action
    Taurus 669
    Kel-Tec P-3AT

Boolit Master

If you could get 10 buyers seems the price could be considerably less than 95.00.

Compared to the other options, a custom six cavity for $95 sounds like an excellent value. However there doesn't appear to be much interest, which is what the purpose of this thread is.

I read that a similar group-buy a few years back was priced at $100 each, so I thought this an excellent value.
    Rossi M92 Lever Action
    Taurus 669
    Kel-Tec P-3AT

Darn shame. There seems to be a lot of prejudice against Lee moulds, despite the fact that they do a very good job. That's too bad. Not knocking MiHec moulds or any other, before any of you get your dander up. Just saying this idea, a six-cavity Keith-style mould, seems like a very good one.
    "San Francisco Liberal With A Gun"
    http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
    http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/ (podcast)
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    .38 Spl, .357 Mag, .44 Spl/Mag, .45 Colt, and .22LR
    A true Liberal must by definition support the entire Constitution, and thus also the 2A, 100%. Any other position is inconsistent with liberalism.

If Lee is down to a 8 week turn around then that is GREAT, as all our custom mold makers are now how Lee was a few years back. There lead time is now a year out (our custom mold makers) and that is why I won't do any group buys with any of them. Not that they don't do great work but I refuse to wait a year or more for a mold. That was the reason why Lee lost there demand on this sit, lead times of a year plus. My last GB(as a honcho) threw Lee was over 14 month if I remember correctly, the molds were spot on spec but over a year wait is a complete turn off.

This is just my option, and that mold design by the way is a great one if it wasn't for the fact that I have 2 of them already I would jump on board.

Robert
    "Life isn't like a box of chocolates...It's more like
    a jar of jalapenos. What you do today, might burn
    your ass tomorrow."

The mould I had them do a couple of months ago was to me in 3 weeks. The 8 weeks is due to work already scheduled. Apparently they have a increase in orders over the winter time.

If we did this over the summer, it would more likely be a 4 week wait, FYI. I also thought the 8 weeks was excellent when compared with other buys too.
    Rossi M92 Lever Action
    Taurus 669
    Kel-Tec P-3AT

I would definitely be interested in one or two. But, I would rather have MP Molds version in a 4 cavity brass Cramer type mold. I have 2 Lyman 358429's and I'm tired of fighting with them. My MP molds open with a gloved hand and perfect bullets fall out without any kind of coaxing. I think Miha might even have the cherry for this one. And, he has better delivery and the molds don't have to be paid for until they are ready to ship. Think about it, guys.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
    Jesus Christ and the American G. I. One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.

Come on guys lets get a list started of who wants one. I will be in for one maybe two.

Boolit Master

Unless things have changed in the last year, Lee charged 150.00 set-up. Then each mold is 52.00 each, with about 4.50 shipping for up to at least 25 moulds. So 15 moulds would cost 62.30 each, plus the approx 8.00 shipping to get it to the individual buyers. So the more moulds the more the set-up cost gets spread out. Lee does a fine job for pistol bullets, but with rifle bullets they guys here are MUCH more picky and LEE sometimes can't hold a tight enough tolerance.

For comparisons sake:
    1. Mountain Mould 3 cavity - $120 plus shipping
    2. LBT 4 cavity - $170 plus shipping
    3. Lee 5 cavity - $202 plu shipping
    4. NOE 5 cavity - $92 plus shipping

I didn't list the Lyman, they just drop to small of a bullet.

This Lee Custom group buy is $95 plus shipping. Like I siad before, sounds like a great value. I loved my three cavity custom, but the six is much better to cast with.

The cost to refine the dimensions of this flavor of Keith:

• Custom moulds for development: $400
    • Cast bullets for testing and verification: est. 5,000 cast bullets loaded and tested comparing just Keith designs

This Lyman styled Keith came is the result of that effort.

To date, there is a yes for a mould from:

1. Cowboy T
    2. chprplt
    3. shawnsmc

Thanks guys.
    Last edited by 357shooter; 01-08-2012 at 05:16 PM.
    Rossi M92 Lever Action
    Taurus 669
    Kel-Tec P-3AT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast