RepackboxRotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan Reloading
WidenersLoad DataReloading EverythingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do -what do

Boolit Master

What do -what do

Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered, weak and weary, over-over- over-what to do with an ugly piece of grey metal I found behind my shop. It was very heavy and it appeared to be very soft. Perhaps I could recycle it into something useful. I am a big fan of Al Gore and his efforts to save Mother Earth by recycling to help prevent global warming. I was informed that my piece of metal was made of lead and that it had a very low melting point. Hmmm, maybe I could cast it into some sort of projectile. At that moment I had an epiphany, right out of the Bible. I would make a sling like David used to slay Goliath. I gathered the equipment needed to melt the lead. I was told right, that stuff melted like cheese. I poured the molten lead into a muffen pan . They should make perfect missles for slaying an enemy. Now I had to select an adversary. I thought at first of whacking one of those right wing nuts, you know the ones I mean. They drive around in pickup trucks with an automatic assult rifle hanging in the rear window, clinging to their guns and religion. No I thought. I needed a more worthy opponant. How about the number one bad guy, Osama Ben Laden. Of course I would need practice. I made a target with the face of Gentle Ben on it and prepared myself for my first training session. I saw Ben hiding in the trees and started to swing the sling over my head, I was giddy as a school girl at the sound it made as it wirlred aroud my head, swise, swise, swise, CLUNK. That was the last sound I heard. Blackness enveloped me. To be continued.
    Last edited by GOPHER SLAYER; 05-23-2011 at 06:31 PM.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    That, my friend, is magnum ammunition!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Banned
    I love slings, check out:

http://slinging.org/

One of mine I hand braided 8 strand on a Kumi Loom with Jute twine. I sell these at flint knap-ins and primitive skills gatherings. I use a Tupperware meatball maker with quick concrete to make projectiles. After many years I have only killed 2 rabbits and one woodchuck. My late dad was a merciless murderer with a sling and could hit a can or bottle every time at 20 yards. He helped feed his family with a sling when he was a boy. I have to say that his woodchuck pumpkin stew was terrible.

Slinging was a tradition in my Dad's family. They came from Sicily circa 1900.

Gary
    Last edited by onondaga; 04-17-2011 at 12:02 AM.

Boolit Master

Outback Queensland, North of the Tropic of Capricorn
    You know, Gopher Slayer, I think that David used smaller projectiles than yours. Although the Bible tells us that he killed Goliath with a single shot, there was no mention of "Collateral Damage", such as the first three ranks of soldiers standing behind Goliath. Please do keep us updated, when you recover.

Gary, I thought that I was the only one who likes tying knots, braiding, etc. I have some books around here somewhere on the knots that old sailors use. While I watch T.V. I will sit and tie various knots. I have never braided up a sling, but that is mainly because if I did, I would almost certainly try and use it. And if I used it, I would certainly brain myself and end up with another scar on my head.
    WHEN IN DOUBT, USE MORE CLOUT!

Boolit Grand Master
    This is the kind of thing that develops when they close range access to former Burrito Shooters.

In my own case, I emigrated to a section of California largely untouched by the hand of hoplophobia. Yes, such areas do exist. Glen and his usual shooting co-actor Buckshot have not yet availed themselves of the wealth of range sites affordably and conveniently available out here in Mayberry BFE. They could both use a trip, methinks.

Poor old Buckshot has really taken the range closure hard. So much so, he threatens to go find A JOB every time I meet him for lunch when I go south. Thankfully, a varmint hunt and NCBS are near on the time horizon, and those events may return him to sanity and health post haste.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    Methinks I knows where this thread is heading
    Been paddlin' upstream all my life, don't see no reason to turn around now.

G'day Glen,
    Mate, that sling and "ammo" reminds me of that bloody 44 of yours that you had me shoot, it's liable to cause someone an injury some how.

Sorry to hear that you and Buckshot are still suffering from lack of a range; you might just have to eat some more burittos to make up for the lack of shooting.

Regards,
    Ron.

FESTINA LENTE

Boolit Master

Dude that reminds me of 1973 or so when I made my first pair of "num-chucks" after watching Enter the Dragon with Bruce Lee.

The girls that were at the party I went to still ask me how's my groin. They say they've never heard a sound to this day out of a man that describes the noise I made........

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

If I might make a suguestion about this set-up

If you were to set the drum against the fence the retrieval of some of the 'practice' casts may be easier, that is they will mostly be in the same general area rather than be able to hare off into the paddock beyond. I fully expect you are more "accurate" than I might be, but misses will ocur.

Von Gruff.
    Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazman1602 View Post
    Dude that reminds me of 1973 or so when I made my first pair of "num-chucks" after watching Enter the Dragon with Bruce Lee.

The girls that were at the party I went to still ask me how's my groin. They say they've never heard a sound to this day out of a man that describes the noise I made........

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk
    Yeah I remember those days too. Except I almost knocked myself out with a nice pair of cocabola chucks... Might even have the knot on the back of my head STILL.

Boolit Master
    HI.
    I SYMPATHIZE WITH YOU ON THE RANGE CLOSURES.
    3 nearby spots I shot at the last 10 yrs. are gone /closed. Do to all the foreigners who have moved into Ut. to get away from Chicago & other places they did not like.
    Unfortunately, they want to change Ut. to be more like what they were used to, not realizing , they are making it into what they did not like, & moved to get away from it.
    I fear 2 more spots will be closed this yr.

Boolit Master
    I get such a kick out of this forum, in general. I'm also into knot tying and slinging... and hatchet throwing.

Everyone here is so like-minded. It's funny.

I was actually considering buying the largest round ball lee mold for slinging ammo.

You know, before there were guns, people threw rocks!
    scrap, smelt, cast, lube, load, shoot. repeat.

Just think " The 2011 Lead Ingot Control Bill" Eerrr.... should I say slingshot ban???? Next after that will be laws outlawing broken broomsticks (except fer witches). Oh! don't ferget rocks!
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Super Moderator

.............In a recent phone conversation with Gopher Slayer hisself, I'm happy to relate that he's, er .................... getting better. So far the mega muffin slinger's score is one wheelbarrow, 3 panes of 4 (one shot) gone in the shop window, 2 flower pots, the backyard security light, the doorknob from the door into the garage (a ricochet, not to be counted against him), 3 fence boards, and 4 definitive connections with the 55 gal barrel his target sits on. He said it's all a matter of elevation now.

................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

In Remembrance

A sling, I'd probably knock myself out with one of them, lol.
    Actually when I was a kid a few of us played around with slings and none of us were very good at it so we stuck to other stuff we probably shouldn't have been doing either.

Longwood
    Ask your local mechanics to save the balls out of the axles they junk. Thats what I use on the stray dogs that come around to irritate my dogs.
    Nice weight and size for a sling and I can easily toss one 500 yards still and I am 69 years old.

Longwood
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Son View Post

if I did, I would almost certainly try and use it. And if I used it, I would certainly brain myself and end up with another scar on my head.
    If you do it correctly, it is pretty much impossible to hit yourself. I bet there are video's someplace that show the proper way of using one.

Boolit Master
    Gopher, with that size projectiles I think your weapon is supposed to be crew-served!

Good stuff, haven't thought about slings since I was a kid.
    Had a leather key holder or fob of some sort, already had 2 holes in it and a fold in the middle.
    Was a natural to tie 2 leather thongs to it and sling away. Mostly used rocks.
    Got pretty good at it, but the BB gun was serious competition to the sling.
    Made my own bow & arrows too.

Onondaga, checked that site, some good pics.

Front wheel drive axles have nice size bearings in 'em, when I used to roll up on a tow call
    and they said it won't move, and there were big ball bearings on the street, well
    I just hooked it up.

Boolit Master

Outback Queensland, North of the Tropic of Capricorn
    Quote Originally Posted by Longwood View Post
    If you do it correctly, it is pretty much impossible to hit yourself. I bet there are video's someplace that show the proper way of using one.
    There's the rub. I can do it many ways, but correctly is something I always come up short of.

On the nunchuckers, I made more than a few sets. Hit myself in the head a few times, but the worst was the hits on my elbows. Right on the funnybone. My fingers would tingle for hours after a real good hit on the funnybone.
    WHEN IN DOUBT, USE MORE CLOUT!

Boolit Master
    "You'll shoot your eye out kid"
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast