Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee Precision
Titan ReloadingLoad DataInline FabricationWideners
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Explain what has happen to Marlin CB Prices

Boolit Master
    And, part of it is profit margins. The companies today almost universally use the %-age formula. They do not go on a dollar number, ie we want to make $xx on stuff; it is all %-age.

They all want to make a certain %-age ROI. I had a friend at Ruger many years ago. I asked him why the SBH was, say $400. He tells me that Ruger sells that revolver to a big distributor for $150 plus shipping. They sell it to a dealer for $300, shipping included. The dealer tags it $399.95 and sticks it in the case for sale.

There is a very well known American scope brand, that advertises on TAA. This really neat scope they make retails for $1275. I have a good friend that is a master dealer. He pays $710 plus S&H for it.

I am glad I bought nearly all of my firearms years ago. I just look these days, and shake my head...

Rich

Piedmont: My 1958 336 has a better finish on the outside but the machining on the inside looks like POOO.

My newer guns all have superior machining on the inside but the exterior finishes are way less than the early gun. Less hand work put into the newer guns is the reason, and the reason for less hand work is they can get machines to do it cheaper and keep the prices down where anybody can afford them.

I have guns from the 50's, 80's, 90's and 2005 I rework and refinish ALL of them. I consider Marlins to be some of the best values in "generic guns" Reason being they are not expensive guns, and especially on the used market, and I can "work with them", meaning my reworking definately improves the gun both mechanically and cosmetically. I paid $250 for my 336. After reworking the action it is the slickest I have. I paid $350 for my M39 made in 91 and it took the most work to refine, and whereas it is much better than before, it is nowhere as slick as any of the centerfire guns. The M39 has the rebounding hammer which $ucks, and without finding a older half cock hammer and trigger it will stay that way.

I would not do these things to a $2000 gun as I would expect it to be exactly right, out of the box, and not need any TLC.

I also work on my Rugers both Pistols and Rifles, they function well from the box but respond very well to deburring and addition of minor parts like free spin pawls and aftermarket Ejectors and Springs.

I just bought a new Ruger M77 Gunsite Scout Rifle from a gunshop in Michigan last week and have not received it yet. I had not seen one in person, but finally got to handle one today. I liked the gun alot,(good thing huh?) but if the one I get looks anything like the one I handled at a local store, it will require a through deburring and some TLC to get it smoothed up. The reason I bought one from another state sight unseen is because, I paid $250 less for it. My local guy wanted $999 and wouldn't budge. I paid $750!

This is a generic gun. I don't expect High finish, just good Utility. With a little hand work the gun will run sweetly. The Marlins are the same way , and I understand they will be offering "enhanced versions" of the leverguns for people who would like a little better wood and better fit in the action. The difference in price will reflect the cost of the hand labor necessary to bring the gun up to the higher level of finish. I personally would prefer to do this myself so I would buy the generic version.

Here's a pic of my 1894CB Rifle, made in 2005. This was the homelyest gun I have ever bought. The stocks were not even "Fence Post Grade" wood. Just refinishing them, and working the action made this gun one of my all time favorites. Note: the "fiddleback" which miraculously showed up after I scraped the "Marshield GOO"off the stock. Much hidden beauty in these "cheap guns' you just have to find it. It took me a week and a half to refinish that stock, MFG's would just not be able to do this to a gun in this price category. Now,,, Cooper Rifles and Dakota's different story and differnt price range. They would be expected to have this finish level.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 06-17-2011 at 11:40 PM.

Boolit Master

Yesterday, I went to an auction selling off a collection of leverguns and SA revolvers from an estate along with the remaining inventory of a small gunshop which had gone out business. While most of the guns were used, there were several NIB pieces and a few real "collectibles." From the git-go, I was (to say the least!) surprised at the bidding. First item, right off the top, was a "Teddy Roosevelt Commemorative" 94 Winnie...no box, no papers...and it brought $700. Next came a '95 in 30-40 that had really seen better days (no better than NRA "fair") which sold for $650, followed by a used Marlin 444S that brought $725. Later on, a "sporterized" '03 ("low number" Springfield receiver and machine inletted/checkered stock) brought over $800 and a Russian-capture M98K with an M98 (straight-handle) bolt went for $200.

Now, this wasn't an exceptionally well-advertised sale that attracted collectors/dealers from far and wide. It was held in a small, central Illinois community (pop. 2500-3000) with, maybe, 275-300 bidders, mostly local folks but it was almost like boolit moulds on fleaBay...practically anything the auctioneer (a local "good ol' boy") described as "rare", "collector's item", or "Winchester" brought top dollar (+).

As I was about to leave, I bumped into an acquaintance who lives in a small(er) town nearby and owns/operates an ag-related business. We got a cup of coffee at the diner across the street and, when I mentioned the auction prices, he grinned and said: "Mostly, it's some of the big farmers from around here". ("Around here" covering two or three counties) "They're ready to start planting but, with all the rain we've had, can't get into their fields, so they come to town on Saturday morning and spend the day at an auction. They buy guns...and other stuff...just like they buy commodity futures...as an investment. Most of them will never shoot anything they buy today; they'll just take 'em home and, in a couple years, drop 'em onto a consignment sale...probably with the same auctioneer...and, maybe, make a few bucks. It's just another investment so far as they're concerned."

I don't know about other parts of the country but, thinking about what I saw yesterday...and at a couple of other public auctions over that last year or so...I suspect he may be correct. I've seen a lot of guns sold, some at absolutely ridiculous prices, but few of them ever seem to show up on any of the places where I shoot. Wonder if this inflated market is going to collapse like ammo/components after the price spike generated by Obama's elections.

Bill

Btw: A few items did slip between the cracks at that auction...like the pre-safety Marlin 94 .44Mag in VG+ condition for $425 that I'm picking up day after tomorrow (D****d Illinois waiting period.)
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Banned

There are a few on Gunbroker still at reasonable prices. Somebody should snag this one and get it re-blued. They were only made 3 years. I have a nice minty one already, or I would jump on it.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=227386271

Quote Originally Posted by frankenfab View Post
    There are a few on Gunbroker still at reasonable prices. Somebody should snag this one and get it re-blued. They were only made 3 years. I have a nice minty one already, or I would jump on it.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=227386271
    As rough as that looks on the outside I’d be afraid to buy it just to find out what’s on the inside.
    Looks like it’s spent it’s life on a lobster boat.
    My monotor resolution is fare to good so the pitting may look worse on my screen than on yours.

Banned

Doesn't look that bad to me. I bet she'd shoot well. I always keep an eye out for those. I'm not real big on the porting, but the straight grip stock and short barrel are a nice variation on the .444 theme.

I've got Ashley peeps on mine now. I always wished Marlin would make one just like it in stainless/walnut without the porting.

You're assuming the bore looks better than the outside of the barrel. Which is often the case.
    I'd at least get an inspection period on it with return option. It’s not that big a task to photo a bore so why isn’t a photo of the bore posted among that pile of pics ?
    Here is a clip and paste from the auction. Standard gun broker tag.
    You must contact the seller to resolve any questions or concerns before placing a bid.

I did not look at the sellers reputation or anything. Looked like a gun shop? That’s a lot of money to toss on a table. I’d be calling and asking questions before bidding. Vermont is on the ocean isn’t it? Sea spray rots machines form the inside out.

Of course it may be a deal as gun shy people like me are chicken to bid on it.

I have to agree that is a $400.00 dollar rifle at most. But I think $350.00 would be more inline or maybe less.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Banned

It looks to me like it was left in a padded gun case too long. They were over $400 new years ago. They generally run $700-$800 these days, unless the seller does not know what they have. Admittedly, any work done would diminish the collector value.

I have no stake in that auction. I just always watch for those, and am happy to see them when I do.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by GabbyM View Post
    You're assuming the bore looks better than the outside of the barrel. Which is often the case.
    I'd at least get an inspection period on it with return option. It’s not that big a task to photo a bore so why isn’t a photo of the bore posted among that pile of pics ?
    Here is a clip and paste from the auction. Standard gun broker tag.
    You must contact the seller to resolve any questions or concerns before placing a bid.

I did not look at the sellers reputation or anything. Looked like a gun shop? That’s a lot of money to toss on a table. I’d be calling and asking questions before bidding. Vermont is on the ocean isn’t it? Sea spray rots machines form the inside out.

Of course it may be a deal as gun shy people like me are chicken to bid on it.
    Gabby, Vermont is NOT on the ocean. New Hampshire is between Vermont and the ocean, and that's a long way for sea spray to travel! NH only has a short area on the sea between Mass. and Maine.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Quote Originally Posted by frankenfab View Post
    It looks to me like it was left in a padded gun case too long. They were over $400 new years ago. They generally run $700-$800 these days, unless the seller does not know what they have. Admittedly, any work done would diminish the collector value.

I have no stake in that auction. I just always watch for those, and am happy to see them when I do.
    Actually less than 1 year ago at the Cabella's in Buda Tx the Marlin GG in blue in there used rack which looked like new was $400.00 and there Marlin GS in Stainless was $500.00. I picked up the Marlin GS in 45-70 while I was there. And what a SHOOTER.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    Gabby, Vermont is NOT on the ocean. New Hampshire is between Vermont and the ocean, and that's a long way for sea spray to travel! NH only has a short area on the sea between Mass. and Maine.
    Well ya but you can see Russia from there can't you

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12